Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Hmm I was hoping for a long warm summer and a petrol Laser

my work load is high normally ramps up for Christmas and then a quick drop in demand

this is just overwhelming constant demand with the added side issues with the lock down

Edited By bert baker on 23/04/2020 10:57:33

Advert

If any one Jon needs to calm down its you. What's the point of complaining. We are all in the same boat and you expressing your right to complain is not helpful. If you want to complain keep it to yourself. 1000s of loved ones have died, you complaining cos you cannot go and fly is of no consequence.

So for my sons Stampe, we now have more time to complete it,

It will give him more stick time to get fully used to it,

It will be his first proper Show as a pilot, unless the Southern Show is back on the cards,

very much don’t that as Headcorn is closed and being used as a assessment area for the virus

Posted by Pegasus on 23/04/2020 13:05:55:

If any one Jon needs to calm down its you. What's the point of complaining. We are all in the same boat and you expressing your right to complain is not helpful. If you want to complain keep it to yourself. 1000s of loved ones have died, you complaining cos you cannot go and fly is of no consequence.

Im calm, one might even say laid back. You were the one who came out guns blazing. The situation is what it is, nothing i can do about it so why get stressed? As for complaining, perhaps bemoan is more accurate? Im not running around demanding the rules are changed, not disregarding the rules and flying anyway. Instead on my weekends i have done some gardening, had a snooze in the sun, done a rebuild on some engines... Its not a real hardship.

While not being able to fly in this great weather is a frustration, its not exactly the end of the world but a bit of complaining is a good thing. Get it off your chest and all that.

The cancellation of WW was expected, hardly a surprise. All i did was wonder why they called it postponed when it clearly isnt. Not sure why that irked you so, i was just finding some fun in a little things.

Regarding the loss of life..well, as none of us are made of stone nothing really needs to be said does it?

Bert, i might have some progress for you. Depends how things pan out as its mad busy at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started to have a proper look at the old Precedent Stampe I picked up and will be refurbing. I was thinking of a Saito FG30 4 stroke but given mixed reviews on some of these and issues around cooling I may go for a DLE 30 2 stroke. Overall weight is looking like 16.5lbs or thereabouts. Planning to recover in Oratex and to get a new f/g cowl from Slec.

How have people found the balance - I've read somewhere on here that someone had 20odd ozs of lead in the front; is that other's experience too?

thanks.

Edited By Adrian Hazeldine on 06/05/2020 10:33:40

Mine was nose heavy (slightly) and so i have the battery at the trailing edge of the lower wing. This was with a laser 180 glow fitted. I have since installed the prototype laser 180 petrol which is heavier but i didnt change anything on the balance.

I do have a heavy undercarriage installed but i cant see why the model would need loads of lead in it.

For power i would always try and go 4 stroke for the sound. The FG30 does seem to run hot but as you will only need about half throttle most of the time its not going to be highly stressed so will be running cooler. You can always modify the cowl a bit for added air flow.

Or take the cheaper option and fit a 180 glow :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally - lockdown released and back to the flying line!
The Stampe has now had its maiden - it's still in one piece, and the black bags were not needed...

It took off in about 30 metres, without nudging, and flew quite majestically around the field. It seems quite nose-heavy, and needed several clicks of down trim. Roll and yaw needed no trim. It climbs heavily when the throttle is opened, but a throttle > elevator mix sorted that.
Loops were a bit of a struggle, and rolls needed a LOT of down when inverted.

I think that the 20x6 is just a bit too much for the Laser 180, giving around 6700 rpm on the ground. With a 6" pitch, the speed is VERY scale...
I'll try an 18x6 and a 18x8 next time out.

The CG was halfway between the plan location, and the top wing rear fastening screw as recommended on the other thread here. I am going to remove about 12oz from the cowl to move the CG back around 10mm. That will take it almost to the plan recommended position. Who would have thought!

Plenty of pictures on the dedicated Stampe thread

Steve.

stampe maiden 1.jpg

Looks great Steve

Your comments about aerobatics dont reflect the performance of my model. Mine needs to really be pulled round to get it to go over the top of a loop and rolls dont need much of anything other than rudder if i remember rightly. I loose elevator effectiveness when slow and my model has a pronounced nose drop when below a certain airspeed. IF you are nose heavy then that is likely a possible cause. I think most of us are flying with a little down trim. One thing i did find with rolls was i didnt use enough power and pulled my nose up too high on entry. I found that once those two massive wings get rolling the drag is massive and i got better results with a flatter roll at higher power. The added drag kept the speed under control so it worked much better. 

I also dont suffer the pitch up on power either. Admittedly, at really high speed i have to hold it down but i dont tend to go that fast. Is it a pitch up with power or a pitch up with speed? if its the latter then its not a surprise, the former suggests some downthrust might be needed.

On the subject of speed, 20x6 is the right prop for the 180 and it should do a fair lick with that. Mine is way faster than scale with the 20x6 and i spend most of my time trying to slow the thing down. I get the same 6700rpm you do so something a bit strange is happening there as the calculated max airspeed at a conservative 7000rpm in the air is still 40mph so its not exactly hanging about.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 15/05/2020 17:02:31