Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

My tail has substantial positive incidence, which is fine and per the plan so dont change it. It will fly with a bit of down trim. It balances on the plan marks but a smidge nose down at that point. 

Note that i try to fly mine at a scale sort of speed. If you want to fly it like a pitts you are likely to have more trouble

My tail has not got obvious positive incidence as built as per plan but I had to assume it to be correct. The birch ply centre between the fin and tail precludes any later change so be careful to get it as per full size. Lent my plan to someone but I seem to recollect some French on it.

One major point I forgot to say is the upper wing so called braces. You must fit a couple of long 1/8th birch ply pieces or the wing will fold. These need to be bent a bit to follow the spars but easily ? done. A bit of spar doctoring may be required.

Keeping everything at the rear end as light as possible should ensure that there are no cg problems.

Looks to be around 8 -10 degrees positive tail incidence there Bert. Is that 1/4 inch higher at leading edge than trailing?. If you are saying you need up trim, and that assuming no issues with wing incidence or thrust, it would imply that that is a little too much, and maybe 5 - 6 degrees would have the tail flying level, neither up nor down, given others comments on the thread.. Could be a decent starting point for anyone building one, as I heard "they fly tail down, unless you add some positive tail incidence". Thanks for sharing

Given that the tail section is quite thick, that looks more like zero deg. wrt the longerons. Mine appears to be just the same, perhaps even a bit more positive. Bit of a teaser really since the longerons are straight all the way to the front. From the looks of the ply I would think that it is a SLEC version because mine uses 1/16th birch ply through the tail and fin.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I've still got "my" Stampe.  I only got it after reading your thread.  It was built by a club mate who sold up all 10 of his models and let me have the Stampe for peanuts for helping him to see his other models.  It really is a lovely aeroplane to see flying around.  It's got an OS120FS pump in it and that is ideal given the twin tank height problem - the pump delivers a supply at a constant pressure to the carb regardless of the aircraft's orientation.

21 hours ago, cymaz said:

I have to say that I’ve sold my Stampe that began this thread 🥺...I got involved in a part exchange for a 1/3 scale Tigermoth.

Im glad I started this thread and it’s been great fun doing it. 

I flew my 1/3 scale moth this year, got the G38 on reduction drive but have a Valach 60 to try in it

1 hour ago, Alan Hilton said:

I sold Bert the tiger because my knackered back wouldn’t cope with big models any more .I flew it for years on a zenoah 38 and it was great .The prop was scale size (22 6 ) It flew scale like in most conditions .It was a bit tricky in a force 5 wind though .

I chickened out on trying it with the straight drive G38

• 1 month later...

Hi, is this thread still active.

I started a Precident Stampe kit in 1981 (ish) bought from a shop in south London.

It did not survive the move to New York when about 1/3 built.

Last week, overcome with nostalgia, I bought a SLEC Stampe from Sussex Model Center.

Maybe this was not the most logical step.

However, buoyed up by this thread here I go.

• Like 1