Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

1 hour ago, Nick Somerville said:

I got fed up with an embarrassing lack of directional control taxiing in anything above a light breeze. Soldered a tag to the wheel wire and ran an elastic band up to the rudder. Works great and should have sorted it earlier.

One new one in our club he left the tail wheel castering like the real one, his taxi back would have made come dancing contestants red faced,

modified straight away.

• 2 weeks later...

Bert, from what I have seen of those linkages I would not even dare to commit it to flight. Those pull pull wires need to go through the tubes for a third time, no need then to even crimp them. That simple ARTF type screw on throttle link is just asking to work loose over time due to the screw denting the soft wire, especially with vibration present.

Sorry to be so critical of what otherwise appears to be a good model.

Yep it needs a bit of reworking

I don’t know who built it

It now belongs to Alan Page on this forum 

sadly the engine was a bit under par when he flew it

It looks like the engine has been damaged during the installation and unmetered air has been trying to ge into the engine 

It‘a a NGH 38 four stroke, Allan and myself have a few years experience of these engines and know of the quirks that surrounds them.

Alans flown it and it wasn’t up to our Reno race style 

Hence it’s been dropped into my grubby mitts to fit a Zenoah G38 the now advertised engine of choice ( sadly it would seem the G38 is no longer available)

It’s to be well Looked at and hopefully all the for mentioned bits will be reworked

Quite why it had so much down thrust is a strange one as I set mine at 0

The struts are gas struts on the undercarriage 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ian Worsdell said:

Good morning chaps

I have just bought a built but uncovered Stampe. I will be finishing it using Oratex.

Can anyone advise on how much I would need, to cover the airframe in one colour?

Many thanks

Ian

20220829_134644.jpg

Look into the possibility of covering it with dope/ ripstop nylon. Not as hard to do as some might think and a lot cheaper. Just the time taken to get the coats of done on is the longest part. The actual covering is quick. Very hard wearing and will take paint. 

I’ve done two airframes now and I am sold on the idea 

I had some of the last white solartex when covering mine. 6m and Just a few tiny scraps left over when the covering was complete and the sheeted area of my fus was glass clothed not tex. so 8m should be about right for the whole airframe. It’s going to cost more to cover with Oratex than a new kit I shouldn’t wonder. The old fashion nylon and dope would be much cheaper.

Hi all

I am think of starting my old Precedent Stampe kit this winter and pondering what power plant to acquire. I am thinking of going for a laser. I am sure this has been asked before but what is a good fit? Scale fidelity is important so preferably nothing hanging out in the breeze apart from perhaps an exhaust stub..

Any other alternatives - petrol? 

Thanks

Martyn

I bought a Stampe off a friend who had stopped flying and it has an OS 120 FS pump.  Works very well and flies in a scale manner.  I did try my OS155 FS pump but that just raised the rate of climb and didn't appear to affect forward speed much!  There is a lot of drag on this aeroplane!

Only problem is that the CG is a bit too far forward, so removed all the lead he had fitted and that still left it with a CG too far forward.  Will not introduce lead at the tail end - gently - until I get the feel right.

• Thanks 1

Hi Martyn,

My Precedent Stampe has been going for a couple of years now, and flies scale aerobatics very well on the Laser 180 FS. It is fitted with a scale-looking Falcon 20x6 prop turning about 6400rpm, which pulls it around loops in a very scale manner.

The engine is entirely enclosed except for the exhaust stub.

I recommend this combination!

1030160683_Stampemaiden3.thumb.jpg.094df29e144b38b7ad5174b1ee0f8959.jpg

• Thanks 1