she’s been hiding in a shed ever since I sold her,

Sadly she has become a real dirty bird

ive tried all sorts of stuff to clean the covering 

for now have given up and plan to get her airworthy,

I had a OS 120 pumped four stroke in her back in the day,

Must be around thirteen years ago now

My plan is to fit my Laser 180 and hope to fly her from same place I used to,

Probably will go petrol in the end but for now glow will be fitted,

Ive not looked at the Laser web site for a long time dunno if they have managed to do a petrol lump for retail sale.   

Do like the Saito 40cc that Dan is fitting to his 

3A4A6A5C-AB33-4E37-916C-3DB9DA1D394E.jpeg

50C226AE-D4AA-4946-90D4-2CDDFA9D5991.jpeg

6F3F59B5-18FF-4F15-99DB-64890631DBA9.jpeg

10F43909-7E3E-4C00-9790-FDC7BEBF401C.jpeg

B148EDB2-5358-4531-96C7-5878FDD189A9.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Yep, and both of them are more than adequate for the model. I am not sure why such excessively large engines are being used. Its not a pitts after all. 

55 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Yep, and both of them are more than adequate for the model. I am not sure why such excessively large engines are being used. Its not a pitts after all. 

You haven’t seen Bert fly one then !!

23 minutes ago, Alan Hilton said:

You haven’t seen Bert fly one then !!

I have and was unimpressed. If you build a scale model, fly it like one. If you dont want to fly it scale, dont build a scale model.

Screaming round flat out with a massive overkill engine in a model like this just looks stupid. If you want performance like that build a pitts or other appropriate model, then it would have been perfect, but this is a stampe. 

No doubt i will be whinged at for being a party pooper and live/let live etc, which is fine, i just cant get on board with the idea of thrashing every model to within an inch of its life. Equally, anyone reading this thread who is able and willing to fly at less than the speed of sound might be mislead by all the comments recommending engines which will grossly over power the model and ruin their experience of it. 

• Like 1

I fly for fun and enjoy what I do

everyone is welcome to their own opinion on how a plane should or shouldn’t be flown

I have found out the reason why we never got much video coverage at Shows,

That has Now changed 

As for the engine size I use It’s down to personal choice,back in the eighties I was a member of a club that flew from the old West Malling Airfield, a couple of chaps had Stampes with a big carb hanging out the cowl,

I liked the look, but it was a fair few years before I got one,

I’ve had many Stampes now and first one was a OS 120, then fitted a pumped 120

then Saito 125 think it was a golden knight,

the Laser 150,

Then Zenoah G38’s

Time has moved on and the display model on the SLEC stand does have a G38 in it, and was also mentioned in the Specifications 

They do have a throttle and can be flown at any speed

I would have been happy to fit a Laser petrol,

But have given up with that,

I have in past made a few calls to Laser about the petrol and did look the other night to see if anything had been made available for purchase but couldn’t find one listed,

Horses for corses each to his own

• Like 1

I have a suspicion that a group of stampes flown only a few feet apart in a slow, low and close formation before splitting up to do a tiger 9 type display would get significant coverage. It would also look cool and be a significant test of flying skill. Sadly, that is impossible with models that are grossly overpowered and storming round the sky like angry wasps. And if flying reno style is done only to achieve youtube fame then the whole thing is even more ridiculous. If you want youtube fame, just make videos of cats falling off of things. 

The laser petrol is still wip, been waiting 2 years for parts. At the price we would now have to sell them at i do not think it is good value for the customer so its future is uncertain. The glow version is better value, easier to use, install, cool etc and it will be 8-10 years before you see a cost advantage using the petrol version. At £500 quid it was ok, at a retail price i dont think its good value. They run very nicely, but are they worth £700+ ?

As for a throttle, i didnt think you fitted them 😉 

I can’t purchase what’s isn’t for sale 

I spent £1300 on a Valach 60cc With all the correct exhaust and manifold for my moth, admittedly it’s yet to be fitted as I fitted a G38 on reduction drive first just to see the difference 

My plan is to fit my Laser 180 for now,it’s only had four runs since the new carb and bearings were fitted 

My old now past buddies Laurie M and Brian H were avid Laser fans and 

Wonder how long before a fourstroke electric motor is available 

we are little off track here. If laser do or do not sell a 180 petrol is not important, what matters is that a powerplant of that output is more than sufficient for the job and is available. That can be a 180 glow from laser, or a 30cc 4 stroke glow or petrol from anyone else so the argument about fitting excessively large 2 stroke engines remains. 

You infer that you only fit the bigger engines as what you want is not available, but if 30cc 4 stroke petrol is what you are after, saito, os, roto and ngh all do one so how does laser not offering one make any difference at all? 

Not that any of that matters as a 30cc 4 stroke flown flat out will still be excessive so it would also require a functional throttle. 

2 hours ago, bert baker said:

I fly for fun and enjoy what I do

everyone is welcome to their own opinion on how a plane should or shouldn’t be flown

I have found out the reason why we never got much video coverage at Shows,

That has Now changed 

As for the engine size I use It’s down to personal choice,back in the eighties I was a member of a club that flew from the old West Malling Airfield, a couple of chaps had Stampes with a big carb hanging out the cowl,

I liked the look, but it was a fair few years before I got one,

I’ve had many Stampes now and first one was a OS 120, then fitted a pumped 120

then Saito 125 think it was a golden knight,

the Laser 150,

Then Zenoah G38’s

Time has moved on and the display model on the SLEC stand does have a G38 in it, and was also mentioned in the Specifications 

They do have a throttle and can be flown at any speed

I would have been happy to fit a Laser petrol,

But have given up with that,

I have in past made a few calls to Laser about the petrol and did look the other night to see if anything had been made available for purchase but couldn’t find one listed,

Horses for corses each to his own

I like the way bert Alan and will fly that’s the reason why I got one looks like good gun. Nothing wrong with giving and old plane more go. Everyone who has a classic car does so why not with a plane. 

More go is fair enough, i wouldnt dream of flying one on the merco 60 on the plan, but there is a limit and the whole point of scale modelling is to simulate the full size as best we can. Trying to turn one into something it isnt is daft. You are better off building the right model for the job as it will perform much better and not look stupid doing it.