Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

More go is fair enough, i wouldnt dream of flying one on the merco 60 on the plan, but there is a limit and the whole point of scale modelling is to simulate the full size as best we can. Trying to turn one into something it isnt is daft. You are better off building the right model for the job as it will perform much better and not look stupid doing it. 

If I was a true scale buff I would agree,

But I’m only having some fun and enjoying myself,

Think we can agree that the Stampe is a great plane for all abilities and can handle a wide variety of power plants to suit our personal desires,

I must agree with Jon this time. A 1930`s bipe with an engine of the period was not exactly overpowered. I have been lucky enough to have flown in and actually looped a full size one. The dive angle before the loop was very steep and quite frightening so a scale model should replicate this.

Mine has had a 155 for most of its life and on an 18x8 (still flying with the original one)  was fine but I needed to pinch it for an overpowered Spit which donated its 180 to the Stampe, no great difference other than it now has more authority in loops and bunts. Most of my flying with it is as scale like as possible with the motor on 1/4 throttle burbling away to create a pleasant sound. The taps are only opened for loops and rolls and to climb for a spin.

Anyone who watched the old Rothmans team will remember that they had to spend a long time regrouping when split up because the aircraft had a fairly constant speed.

Well, each to his own. I’m sure Bert thoroughly enjoys his Stampes, yes I’ve heard him make machine gun sounds as he’s flying! ( Wings and Wheels a couple of years ago). 

Personally, I love flying my 1/4 scale DH60 in a slow steady manner. Other times I’m a hooligan with another plane.

The Stampe is all things to all men. 

• Like 1

I fly/display the Stampe's with Bert and Will. We enjoy every moment showing the public how much fun a Stampe can be when it's got a nice sized engine up front. The flight line organisers enjoy it and ask for more of the same. Even the public speak to us saying how much they enjoyed watching looks loads of fun. They ask if the Stampe kits are available cause they fancy one. So we must be doing something right! 

So if you want to fly scale that's your choice maybe better off at a scale event.

For the gentleman that are disgusted in what we do your very welcome NOT to join in. 

No offence intended.

I’m bored of the negativity took me many years to suppress my nerves to be able to fly at shows And to loose the feeling that blood is boiling in my arms , I personally don’t need any setbacks, Some of my copping mechanisms on the flight line may not be favourable but at least I’m having a go.   

I chose the Stampe to fly at shows because it’s been a plane I am settled with 

There still available new and would encourage anyone to try one 

E5A38D52-54A6-4220-99FD-EE41518ED5D3.png

8 hours ago, bert baker said:

I’m bored of the negativity took me many years to suppress my nerves to be able to fly at shows And to loose the feeling that blood is boiling in my arms , I personally don’t need any setbacks, Some of my copping mechanisms on the flight line may not be favourable but at least I’m having a go.   

I chose the Stampe to fly at shows because it’s been a plane I am settled with 

There still available new and would encourage anyone to try one 

E5A38D52-54A6-4220-99FD-EE41518ED5D3.png

I enjoy watching you and William flying keep it up

What the model is capable of is completely beside the point as all model aircraft can easily exceed the performance of their full size counterparts. 

14 hours ago, cymaz said:

Personally, I love flying my 1/4 scale DH60 in a slow steady manner. Other times I’m a hooligan with another plane.

This point is exactly right. I will absolutely wring the neck of some of my models, but others are flown the way they should be given what they are. The best part of this hobby is having a variety of models that all fly differently, suit every flying style, and demand different skills to master. 

Not all models fly the same and nor should they. Flying a Stampe or tiger moth etc like its a pitts special just looks ridiculous in the same way that doing inverted passes with a Lancaster looks ridiculous and prop hanging (jet pushing? whatever) a eurofighter also looks ridiculous. 

Anyone can bank a yank a model like the Stampe round the sky, and if folk are impressed by it then that is a sad reflection on the state of the hobby.  

I’m troubled by the recent posts, and I feel I the urge to comment. The saddest reflection on this hobby Jon, is people who can’t just let others have fun in the way they want. Who cares??, they are smiling, others are smiling, some (you) are not.. that’s life…Words such as ridiculous and stupid describe some peoples opinions, not the way a model flys!!!.. It’s a hobby and people do it for fun. There will be no one left on this forum soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gents a long running thread is being disrupted and bringing complaints and PMs.

I care not at all how any person chooses to enjoy their hobby, nor if  people chat about flying in a scale like manner, or not.

What counts on here is behaving in a civil like manner and respecting others may hold differing views, curb the language likely to offend, it adds nothing to the point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Decision time,

As previous scribed the plan for my reunited dirty old Stampe is to fit the Laser 180,

On the chance I may want to drop back to my Laser 150 I have chosen a adjustable nylon engine mount,

Some folks find fitting the engine to the correct height a nightmare,

You can use the underside of the mount So the centre line of the crankshaft sits higher but allows the mount to be lower 

note the mount needs to have parallel beams and not tapered 

31471240-EA6E-4016-9A81-B03D9938CAA8.jpeg

Back in the the day I would not have given the tank height any consideration,

And this Issue has been raised on this forum,

(I haven’t had the luxury of knowledge being handed down to me from my dad or a uncle)

I did have a Weston plane with one of the Magnum West fettled motors, all came to me second hand 

And that was a perfect example of poor tank installation 

The motor was fitted inverted and the tank was placed in what I would call a normal to high two stroke location 

The result was it wasn’t happy flying the right way up and inverted the engine would almost quit,

I repositioned it With the info gained from this forum and all was good.

Having nearly complete the 180 installation 

I now thinking about how low the carb does sit

So will need to go back through the many pages and read up about the different options 

one question is,

does the weight of fuel that will be in effect topping up the hopper tank have any negative or positive  reactions to the needle settings and does the hopper need a clunk line as it should be full all the time ( I will go back and read it )

9 minutes ago, cymaz said:

Oh, is that the one you were eventually changing to petrol??

I found any 30cc is good. 

Yes that’s the plane

I would like fourstroke petrol I’ve got a NGH30 and a NGH38,the NGH 38 Ive had from new and it’s been in a few of my planes it’s currently fitted in my SE5A, I did have the Laser 180 in the SE5A for a short time,

Bert i recommend you fit the tank under the engine mount box and through the firewall. Even a 14oz tank will provide enough capacity but you can go to 16 if you want longer flying times. I have a 16 in mine and, with my flying style, it would fly over 25 minutes on that when it was glow powered (15% oil fuel in those days). Now its petrol i would probably be up there all day and would also expect to see an improvement around 7% on the lower oil glow fuel. 

Header tanks are not recommended as they do not work if they are not pressure isolated. Pressure isolated tanks can work but they are more of a hassle than relocating the existing tank. 

Given your preference for exuberance in the air i would strongly recommend taking the time to get the tank in the right place as reliability will be negatively impacted during any negative g and stampes glide like bricks in my experience due to their very high drag. 

This is my installation. Its imperfect and should be lower by about an inch but works fine for me. I avoid negative g where possible due to structural concerns so the imperfect placement was not a big problem. The petrol engine has a pump so i have no worries these days. 

large.594209.jpg.6936758c8205cd08661b6eaa451463ae.jpg

I make these recommendations to all based upon my own experiences over the years. I am self taught through much trial and error. Having an engineering background and detailed understanding of the engines is an advantage but not the whole story. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

1 minute ago, cymaz said:

Just a thought that a petrol engine would elevate some of the carb height problems

It would indeed

But more of nostalgia for one of my now past chums who was a Promoter of Precedent plane kits and Laser Engines  

I still hear his voice when I’m doing things 

When I built mine I overlooked the fact that I could not fit a sixteen oz tank without destroying the carefully fitted u/c and cabane piano wires so came up with my own solution which can be seen way back on here. No problems whatsoever at any flight attitude ( I can fling mine around too when I wish), both tanks will drain to zero and no, the weight of fuel in the upper one has no effect through a 3/32nd bore tube since the fuel is drawn in by the engine, not gravity fed. Both have normal clunks.