PSS A-10 Thunderbolt II - build blog

Phil Cooke

• 6 months later...

devil you know it's not for sale!

Behind the scenes I've built a lighter tailplane in an attempt to reduce AUW, this has been on and off the bench for some time but is now complete and ready for glass. Hope to update on that soon.

Yes a 5 year old thread! The model has had more than one sabbatical from the building board, what with the PSSA JP and A-4 mass builds etc...

I must double my efforts to get it finished!!!

Andy has embarrassed me into a quick update to reflect the tinkering I've been doing this past few weeks.

I was conscious my tailplane and fins were overweight - due mainly I think to the veneer adhesive I had used way back. Anyway I followed Andy's lead and drew up and made an all balsa tailplane - carefully ensuring it fitted the completed fins accurately with profile and bolt spacing. I've also been able to weight reduce the fins (in particular the 'knock off' fin bases) for added goodness.

General arrangement all built onto a 12mm carbon tube for stiffness.

2ndtail 1.jpg

2ndtail 2.jpg

2ndtail 3.jpg

2ndtail 4.jpg

2ndtail 5.jpg

2ndtail 6.jpg

With it all sanded up the assembly could be tested and everything goes back together quite nicely.

2ndtail 7.jpg

Prior to final sanding the new tailplane is 5 oz lighter than the old one. Each fin has been reduced in weight by 1.5 oz. So an 8 oz weight reduction at the back, meaning less lead needed in the nose...the moments are roughly equal about the CoG so I'm hoping this additional work has saved 1lb AUW. Time will tell.

The assembly as shown is now ready for glass, which Ill do as the next job I think to break the monotony.

• 1 month later...

The two fins, fin bases, rudders, tailplane and elevators are now all glassed, sanded back and ready for their first coat of deep fill primer.

fins glassing 2.jpg

fins glassing 4.jpg

In an attempt to minimise weight gain on these rearmost mounted parts, I've tried a slightly different glassing method which hopefully eliminates the need for the traditional 'flow' coat. Prior to adding any cloth, all the parts were very sparingly painted with resin - almost a dry brush method, just to seal the grain. This was then gently sanded smooth and cleaned down prior to the glass cloth being applied using a Jenny brush. This way, there is no absorption - and any excess resin is then 'squeezed out' using a credit card.

fins glassing 5.jpg

The resultant surface finish on an elevator as it dries... akin to SolarTex. I'm fairly confident the amount of filler primer required to give a surface finish good enough for paint will be less weighty than what would have been added with the resin flow coat.

fins glassing 6.jpg

Nice work Phil - what weight of glass cloth are you applying? I like your "dry brushing" epoxy technique- should save some weight on the tail feathers.

I have a similar job coming up and may try (as discussed in recent previous threads) sanding sealer - thinly applied and rubbed back prior to glassing.

That's a lot of glass cloth and resin to cover all of the A-10! surprise I might try Fighter aces when I come to order mine in a few weeks.

In addition to squeegeeing with a credit card I also use blue tissue towels to blot the cloth to remove as much excess resin as possible. It's surprising how much is still sitting above the weave when you think you've finished!

That looks awesome Phil

The cloth sold by Phil at Fighteraces is excellent, I have tried cloth from other sources, I will just say you get what you pay for....

One thing you could try to make glassing easier and even lighter Phil is by using "peel ply". A pure polyester cloth you apply on top of the wet cloth/resin. It eliminates/absorbs all the excess resin, and keeps the cloth and resin in contact with the balsa. When the resin is set the polyester is peeled off, it takes with it any waxey surface and eliminates the need for a flow coat. Leaves a texture akin to solartex that sands really easily. Give it a go on the next one

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 23/10/2017 00:03:48

• 2 weeks later...

Publicly mocking me into action is a dirty, shameful business Andy - embarrassed hehe

Yes 5 years!! Of course the A-10 has had more down time than build time over that period, at least I'm safe in the knowledge my epoxy has set hard on some of the earlier assemblies!!

Its back on the bench again now as you know, I'll update on fuselage joining soon!! But as happened in 2014, then again in 2016 - the 2018 PSSA mass build subject is bound to take bench priority before this is complete and ready for the paint shop!! That said I DO hope to have the A-10 ready to fly in 2018 though - honestly!

Any news about the secret mass build project Phil. I am itching to get sanding and shaving. I haven't made a balsa model now since my Corby Starlet - **LINK** which was at least 4 models ago, and am looking forward to it. Obviously I can't disclose the secret but it is the name of a high wind which has crossed the Atlantic recently and devastated the Caribbean?