Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

It seems I am in the dog house at the moment. Might have something to do with the 1.20 siting on the dinning room table.

I've not been getting out as much as I like to the club, apart from work of course the weather has been the major cause. I have attempted a few a trips down the club but found it to be to windy and cold.

Well it is April tomorrow and I for one have now got fed up with overcast, cold and windy days. Each one seems to roll in the other. Mother nature does not care for my six day shift. She teases me with blue skies and less windy days for me to daze from the office window, then when the three golden days off come the round, the ones where I am free from my work shackles she gives me windy and cold weather.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 31/03/2013 09:39:07

Advert

Looks like we have multiple cases of S.A.D. in the community. The sun is shining in Cyprus, Syria and Iraq. I wonder how happy are our comrades in those parts? I`ve heard some of my farming friends referring to the 18 months of winter we`ve just had, because of the disastrous effect of last "summer" on their animals and crops.

C`mon folks, flying weather is coming, and we`re ready and able to use at least some of it when it does decide to turn up. Make the most of what you get, and take up the guitar or something meantime.

Well the drainaige system on out field is now finally doing its job, thanks to the farmer who has dug it all up cleaned it out, the strip is now bone dry and very firm, 2 days of flying this weekend and off in half an hour for another afternoon.

Yes its cold, yes its a bit breezy, but still flyable, infact since xmas there has only been 2 weekends that I havn't flown there. But plenty of layers and a continuously boiling kettle certainly helps.

Actually yesterday made for a very interesting days flying with the wind direction, approaches from a completely different direction than what i'm used to, but surely this is a good thing? In fact my instructor always said to me learn to fly in wind and you'll get more flying in than most.

Flown my Scimitar a few times recently. Handles wind well, being quite heavy for a foamy. Thinking about getting the retracts for it though to reduce drag.

I've spent the rainy time productively trying to get my crashed VQ Hurricane back in the air and really pleased with it.

Edited By Simon B on 31/03/2013 12:18:27

Took the six-foot Telemaster 40 flying this morning. It's electric powered and I've only just discovered how to balance the LiPo cells, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was very cold and windy so I only had one flight as I have been invited to Easter lunch.

It handled the gusty conditions pretty well and I managed a three-point landing at the second attempt.

Senior Telemaster

Hi,

Very sunny, very cold and a tad breezy. Two more proving flights with secondhand Hangar 9 Funtana 50.

Methinks I'll keep the tiplets on but I thinks she's a little tail heavy still.

Latest forecast I saw says cold weather to stay till mid April !!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Test fly my new T-28 Trojan - 60 size. Has a RCGF 15cc engine in it. Would upload the picture (trying to for an hour, but this site is so slow and keeps locking up). So text will have to do...

Already have the 120 size version, but this doesn't have retracts and make it better for rough field work, or it should be.

Posted by Percy Verance on 31/03/2013 18:57:47:

Hi David

If you do still have a plan for the 6ft version, I'd definately be interested. I recall back in the 80's I built mine from a kit (the name Premier rings a bell), and it had foam wings and tailplane. I built a second from the plan supplied in the kit, and built up a wing and tailplane for that one. Sadly, I sold that example on before I flew it.

I'd like another purely for old time's sake.

Edited By Percy Verance on 31/03/2013 18:58:30

PM sent.

Posted by John Privett on 31/03/2013 18:44:14:

Looking at the wind forecast for tomorrow I don't think I'll be making it 4 in a row though.

Well, despite the forecast... 4 days in a row! thumbs up

I wouldn't have bothered, but got a text message from a club member this morning saying that he was meeting another member at noon so I decided to go and join them - well, it would have been rude not to... teeth 2

Wind was forecast for about 17mph, and my trusty anemometer showed that - and more. Occasional gusts were over 30mph, with rare lulls below 10mph, but mostly in the 15-25mph region. Temperature was actually higher than the last few days at about 5C - though with the wind it certainly didn't feel any warmer.

The plane I took - Sebart Katana 30e - probably wasn't the best choice for the conditions, but none of my bigger i/c models were charged, so it was that or nothing. I have to say it handled the wind much better than I expected, at least whilst in the air. Sadly a gust of wind between flights picked the model up and flipped it over causing minor damage to the tail - but enough to end my afternoon's flying. We were all frozen by then anyway so it was a good excuse to beat a hasty retreat to more sheltered surroundings!

Well, what a difference a week makes! It felt almost tropical today (compared to a week ago at least!) in the warm sunshine and gentle, though still north-easterly, breeze, even if the thermometer still displayed a single digit reading. Not many turned up to fly, but those who did had a good afternoon.

I think perhaps we really are now ready for the, "Spring's here, how much flying are you getting in?" thread. smile d

We had a pretty decent turn-out. Quite a few of us were tempted to bring powered gliders as well as the usual mix of powered models - there was lift all over the blue and white sky. At one point at around 870 feet, I was followed by a buzzard for a couple of minutes (I did some deliberate turns to check he was following me) until he got bored.

What a difference from Thursday's flying in a bitingly cold easterly half gale with tree induced turbulence and leaden sky!

Mind you, there was still some snow lurking in the shadow of some of the hedges and the usual spring colours have yet to appear...

I spent Friday evening putting an old Merco 35 R/C into the Super 60. I had previously fitted an Irvine 30 which is a 30 sized engine in a 40 sized crank case and is consequently rather heavy and the model had a habit of tipping over on take off. The engine change was not so straight forward as it sounds but by Saturday morning I had it installed. Having previously run it up on the test bed I took it to our flying field.

Although the engine started first flick it went on to be rather erratic so I gave up and resorted to the foamy WOT 4. With the help of a retired Rolls Royce engineer we diagnosed that the engine was running too weak, thanks Derek! A quick tweek on the main needle had it running more reliably so we took it down to the runway and then the pressure nipple fell off the P&R silencer! We decided that a Merco 35 did not need tank pressure so we tucked the pipe away and I took off.

It flew beautifully in the sunshine and calm winds. A second flight lasted for over twenty minutes so the engine is pretty economical. Mind you, I can't remember what size tank I've fitted!

Happy Landings Gentlemen!

super 60 merco 35 up.jpg

merco 35 in super 60.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 07/04/2013 06:27:24

Edited By David Davis on 07/04/2013 06:47:46