Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Whether you believe that winter starts 1st Dec or after the shortest day, today was a proper old chiller down at the patch. Despite the clear sky, the sun never made an impression.

Highlight for me was watching club mate Andy's Black Horse Stuka have a maiden flight. Saito 110 f/s.

Went very well with no problems although response was sluggish on low rates. I've never been attracted to the type really but having seen this can appreciate the appeal. No top hatch if you're contemplating EP though.

stuka1.jpg

stuka2.jpg

stuka3.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 02/12/2012 17:01:29

I was flying yesterday, and it was chilly with a capital 'C'! I maidened my new Sebart Katana 30E, then headed for home to thaw out...

I would have flown it again today, and actually made two trips to the field. Arrival no.1 I realised I'd left the wing joining tube at home. embarrassed

Twenty minutes later I was back and struggling in the cold to get a wing bolt in. I'd had difficulty with it yesterday and should have looked at the cause last night, but didn't. After stripping the thread on the nylon bolt I gave up but stayed for an hour or so with those who were flying. It wasn't actually any warmer today, but with a much gentler breeze and a bit of sunshine it felt slightly warmer.

Although it was a lovely clear day with little wind there were only 8-10 flyers at the field after midday. I had a few fly's with my DC-3 and Gloster Meteor. Things were good when the sun was out, but when it parked itself behind a cloud things got decidedly chilly thereafter. At least LiPos make good hand warmers.

Ady

Went down to Lalbenque with Terry yesterday, suitably warmed by delicious home-made tomato soup and something naughty from the boulangeriesmile

Unfortunately, despite brilliant sunshine it was perishingly cold with a numbing breeze and even fingerless gloves didn't help after a few minutes on the sticks.....face 3

A couple of flights each with the Salto, Druine Akrobat and VMAR Fournier were enough for me. Although I left the Li-Po's in the car, they seemed quite sluggish - probably need acclimatising to winter as I do - and even the #16 keycam was shutting itself down after a couple of minutessad

Couldn't find the fortitude to start messing about with the camera, so no pics today.......

Terry was giving newbie David a hand with his EG Pro but found time to fly his Phoenix 2000 - good machine, thatthumbs up

He also demonstrated one of the advantages of IC flight in the conditions with a couple of flights with his FS ASP-equipped Boomerang. By the time he'd given a passable impression of an organ-grinder with his fuel pump, warmed his hands on the engine as it ticked-over and had the long walk after a dead-stick landing, he seemed unaffected by the conditions, so he may convert me yet........wink 2

Pete

Posted by Pete B on 02/12/2012 17:36:39:
(Terry) ........also demonstrated one of the advantages of IC flight in the conditions with a couple of flights with his FS ASP-equipped Boomerang. By the time he'd given a passable impression of an organ-grinder with his fuel pump, warmed his hands on the engine as it ticked-over and had the long walk after a dead-stick landing, he seemed unaffected by the conditions, so he may convert me yet........wink 2

Pete

Go on you know you want one! Xmas is nearly here - treat yourself!

Terry (Staying in and watching telly today Dept!)

ps - we did have snow today!

No flying for me this weekend, built 3 more planes instead, a Thunder Tiger Dragonfly 15 (ic winter hack), a JMX edf thingy, can't say i'm too impressed so probably won't ever get airborn, and an Als Hobbies special a Techone Hobbies Pulama Shockie, for those still calm winter days. Balsa bashing later on the old Stampe, time to get it finished me thinks.

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 02/12/2012 17:53:14

After the car thawed itself out it felt quite mild so I went down the field for a couple of hours. The flood water in the next field is now ice - maybe it wasn't so mild! I'd taken a newly aquired BH Katana and found a few bugettes in that, like the bellypan dropping of as soon as the engine starts. In the end I just had the one flight with the BH Extra, a chat with the other masocists and then called it a day.

I'm glad I got out of the house for a while even though I had to layer up like the Michelin man. Who knows when the next chance will be before next spring?

Wife's car stayed frosted all day today (in Kent!)

I flew on Friday, sunny and low wind, gave the Clancy Lazy Bee a friend built a second flight, further tuned a few EPP wings, hurtled a 50 class Heli around..usual fare really.............2pm and the temp dropped like a stone, so back to the warm.

Flew indoor tonight............. cool

An 8 min flight with the wot 4 foame and 6 mins with the Alfa f-86 this afternoon and i was done in, only on the local school fields as the club is higher up and very exposed, hardly no wind but i was dithering, in a hoodie, woolie hat and bubble jacket, Had to run around for half hour playing football with my little lad after it to warm back up brrrrrrr

You're not actually too far off the mark BBC. Mate of mine uses electrically heated gloves powered from a couple of NiMH packs. The heater elements extend to the second joints and covers fold back to leave the fingertips exposed while flying. You can also buy heated jackets, waistcoats etc. but I'd guess there's not a great deal of demand for that sort of thing in your neck of the woods...

took the funfly mk1 out for a couple of flights now that i am on spectrum 2.4.

two good flights though the rates need adjusting as it was very sluggish responding to inputs.

then i maidened the twin funfly.

wrote that off when it rolled over onto its back and dived into the ground on take off.

majour repairs to do on that now.

Edited By Tony Bennett on 02/12/2012 21:56:28

Nice and cozy in my workshop tonight, it started snowing an hour ago, so im in here flying my hubsan x4 with string and a hook under it, havent managed to pick anything up yet but after this bottle of wine i will cheeky ps the temp guage was aquired from my local gym after they over charged me on my membership for a month

sam_0066.jpg

Walked (with Multiplex Merlin tucked away in its case) the two miles to an eating place and had a non fattening fry up with an ex work friend then walked to our local flying field and had three flights with the merlin, then walked off some of that breakfast by walking home !

It was so perishingly cold here yesterday that I only plucked up the courage to go flying after lunch and even then didn't take the i/c stuff with me. A few diehards were at the club but I only managed three flights with my foamy WOT 4 seen here with my vintage Super Scorpion.

foamy wot 4 with super scorpion..jpg

I was practising flying close in which I will have to do when I get the little HK Hurricane!

Edited By David Davis on 03/12/2012 09:19:38