Super Glue, (or not... according to the Mrs)

Dave M

So there I was trying to glue the nose cone onto my Christmas MPX Blizzard, but it really needed a second pair of hands.

I'm pretty hopeless with the cyno, always glueing either my fingers together or to something else, like the cleaning cloth, so I asked SWMBO for assistance, anyway, to cut a long story short, we got the nose on OK, but managed to cyno her fingers together in the process. embarrassed

This made a change, and its good to have a shared hobby...disgust

Advert

Posted by Peter Ward on 03/01/2013 17:01:17:

The family that sticks together stays together..... embarrassed

Ha, thats funny!

No probs with getting them apart, not too much skin lost so not to worry, as I say its usually me getting stuck to something. She wasn't too keen when I mentioned getting the V tail attached though....

DM

My son is a musician and tells me that when guitarists have to play - not having played maybe for a couple of weeks before hand - they spread CA on their fingertips in lieu of the hard skin they have there normally! So you could always tell her you mistook her for Eric Clapton - on second thoughts - perhaps not!

BEB

Very useful if your knife slips, gashing your hand, irrespective of the method statement and safety assessments written up, and amended as appropriate, as a comprehensive working document..

Ah, yes, can be used to seal wounds that need holding together

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/01/2013 18:31:26:

My son is a musician and tells me that when guitarists have to play - not having played maybe for a couple of weeks before hand - they spread CA on their fingertips in lieu of the hard skin they have there normally! So you could always tell her you mistook her for Eric Clapton - on second thoughts - perhaps not!

BEB

That's quite interesting, I play guitar and after building with cyano on a finger or two it s quite helpful, now I know why! It is also used in medical needs, and vetinary for glueing skin together and after a bit of research it was first discovered in WW2 for gunsights.

CS

Super glue is supposed to stick to skin, thats what it was first made for ( an emergency field suture for the military) to hold injuries together until we could get them to hospital. I know I was in the R.A.M.C

We modelers just happened on it as they say

Regards Bob

I was just sitting watching TV, building board on my knee.....no shoes on....

I moved my foot.....tried to move my foot and ripped a lump of skin off,

Now im trying to move blood and glue from on the carpet! , our UnStick debonder would do it but at this point i decided to hide it by moving the sofa forward a bit......

I would have thought i would have felt it bond, im amazed how it got so far under my foot on carpet, not much had gone from the bottle of our thin InstaTite cyano glue that was next to my foot on the floor..

Posted by Bob Black on 03/01/2013 19:59:58:

Super glue is supposed to stick to skin, thats what it was first made for ( an emergency field suture for the military) to hold injuries together until we could get them to hospital. I know I was in the R.A.M.C

We modelers just happened on it as they say

Regards Bob

The original use was for making gun sights as its opticaly clear , but eventually they decided it was too hard to make as the maximum was about 100g at a time per production run back then, some planes were supplied with cyanoacrylate gun sights.

Some years later someone looking at the research checking for opticaly clear acrylic polymers bonded glass prisms together by accident and came up with the idea of using it as an adhesive, this was supplied as a field repair for soldiers in vietnam, i have heard that it was not suposed to have been used at that point ( no idea if thats true though) , 

The problem was that with the original method of production the glue was very unstable the distillation blocked very quickly meaning very small distillation and often destroyed equipment. It originaly needed high levels of stabilisers to keep it liquid, stabilisers in large amounts stop it setting , at that point moisture such as from blood was needed to make it cure hence the medical glues were easier to produce.

Shortly after it became avaialable as an instant industrial adhesive, due to advances in porduction methods and stabiliser chemistry , but took some years to solve the production problems , once production was sorted ( well..it became easier to produce in quantity anyway!) the price dropped a bit , 

It was when the production new methods patents ran out that it could drop in price and modelers could use it , it is still very expensive and difficult to manufacture but it could/can be manufactured in a cost effective way and moders could use it

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 03/01/2013 20:48:22

Posted by StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 03/01/2013 20:33:47:

Now im trying to move blood and glue from on the carpet! , our UnStick debonder would do it but at this point i decided to hide it by moving the sofa forward a bit......

I would have thought i would have felt it bond, im amazed how it got so far under my foot on carpet, not much had gone from the bottle of our thin InstaTite cyano glue that was next to my foot on the floor..

Apparently your own spit works the best on your own blood stains

Posted by Codename-John on 03/01/2013 20:43:17:
Posted by StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 03/01/2013 20:33:47:

Apparently your own spit works the best on your own blood stains

I might try that, when the house is empty....till then the sofa covers it up!

I understand the use of superglue for wounds was first used in Vietnam when field medics didn't have the time to do normal sutures. Someone sugested using glue instead. The rest, they say, is history.

I used to work in a Minor Injuries Unit and often used the medical version (as far as I know it's the same but certified sterile). It has the added advantage over conventional sutures of 'cauterising' the bleeding surfaces. Good stuff. Useful to keep an unopened tube in the first aid box. Be careful how you use it!

Ian

Posted by Ian Jones on 04/01/2013 01:31:26:

Cyano for medical use has a slightly different formula than the stuff we use - according to the information I had when they closed my groin up with it.

Confessions of a Repetitive Rupture Man

For many years it was the same type of cyano - Ethyl cyanoacrylate , just with controlled range of stabilisers and additives to check it was ok to use, it tended to be sterilised as well

Inside the human body , some tests showed it could be degraded by the body generating formaldehyde, so for deep inside operations they changed to a different monomer usually Octyl cyanoacrylate but sometimes one of the other longer chain ones such as butyl , tetrohydrofurfuryl or ethoxyethyl cyanoacrylate all of the longer chain ones are virtualy odourless but not all are foam safe, the usual foam safe one in the model trade is not one of these and is only sometimes used internally

Most supplied for sksin repair, vetenary use and dental work is ethyl cyanoacrylate, its just the internal one that most companies changed...not all companys in the worls changed

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 04/01/2013 12:16:21