The Person Behind the Words

Over the years I've been coming on here I've developed the feeling that I know many forum members quite well. I know their style of writing, I know what interests them - and what annoys them! We know if they fly alone or in a club, I know their favourite models. In some cases we even get glimpses into their family lives, as they refer to children and partners and so forth. For many I even know what careers they have followed. Its like having a couple thousand pen-friends! Brilliant.

Alongside this, at the Nats and Greenacres (and even in Webbies) I've been privileged to actually meet many forum members and "put a face to the name". That has invariably been a very pleasant experience and without exception everyone of them I've met has turned out to be even friendlier and more interesting in real life, face to face, than they already are on here.

But while I've met a fair few from the forum - obviously by no means have I met them all! So I got to thinking; if you could meet just one person from the forum and sit down with them over a cup of tea, or a beer, and have a good chat with them - or perhaps even stand together on the flight line - who would it be? Who is the one forum member you'd most like to meet?

I have my own choice, but I'll keep it to myself for now,...I promise I will tell you later once the thread gets going. But for now, don't be shy,...tell all! Who from on here would you like to meet - and maybe even why!

BEB

Advert

As with BEB, I to have had the privilage of meeting many of the wonderful forim members at both Greenacres and at Webbies!! In fact recently, I met up once more with Rich Harris and his good lady at Webbies and also had the pleasure of once again seeing the wonder that is the 3 in 1 WebBit!!

However, when it comes to selecting a single Forumite with whom I would wish to spend time over a beer getting to know further and better, I really am going to struggle.

For this reason I am going to name 4.

BEB, Although we have spoken on numerous occasions, his knowledge of aerodynamics and Flight Physics is beyond comprehension and as such I believe, maybe over many beers!, would be extremely insightfull .

Next is Tony Bennett: Tony appears to have the amazing ability to go from an idea, to a working model in a matter of a week or 2! I know this amazes many of us forumites aswel as myself! I would definately be quizzing him on the hows!!?

Penultimately would be Tim Mackey (Timbo). His knowledge of both slope flying and Electric setups would keep me in awe for days... Despite the fact that I see him at least a couple of times up the Orme each year!

My final choice would be CyclicScooby! She seems to build some great models and as a female model pilot (it has to be said, they are a minority), I would like to find out what brought her to this crazy world of model flying !

So there we have it folks. My list!!

I do hope to meet up with more of you in time (although this year may be difficult due to gatting married and work commitments), but maybe in the forthcoming years!

Back to you all...

Dave smiley

Words mean a lot and its all you have to go on in a forum but i have been given some very good advise from many on here and while i thank them all for sharing their wisdom for my advantage my vote has to go to Scott Finnie, after quite a few years of of my being absent from this site i recently made a post just to see what the reaction was, i had already nailed myself to the cross because i asked for the somewhat pre empted feedback on purpose, and in some cases got it, however others were quite positive especiely Scott who took the time to send me an e-mail behind the scenes apologising and explaining that it was all just leg pull, i had not took offence to any of it because i got all the answers i was hoping for but Scott also gave me good advise and offered any help that i wanted, pity we live some 500 miles apart, but fare play to him, he gets my vote and i hope we get to meet some day. (in fact it would be nice to meet any of you guys)

Well, I'm reminded every day just how clever and very generous people are here. I've had the privelage of meeting a great number of forumites over the years at shows, events, the Nats, Greenacres etc. and, like BEB, I've yet to meet a person who I've not liked face to face. As he says, it's always a pleasant experience.

But there is one personality who I have yet to meet and would love to do so. He's been a daily part of the forum since the site went live some 6+ years ago, he's a man with a distinctive take on life, dryly amusing, sometimes lyrical and a great thinker too.

I am of course referring to the one and only, the incomparable, Erfolg! teeth 2

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/01/2013 07:39:52

i've met a fair number off the forum at the greenacre's do's...and also victor in malta ..... i wouldn't mind a pint with young peter miller and tom wright2.....plus loads of others......too many to mention.....and thankyou jo and phil for the mention...our paths will cross......thumbs up

ken anderson.....ne..1.... PR dept....

I've already met ( or already knew ) many of the members, especially some of the longer serving ones, and couldnt possibly pick out one more to meet, there's simply too many.

With VERY little exception, all members appear keen, mostly humble, and decent chaps and chapesses, and even when I was moderating aound these here parts, there was only the odd one or two that I found "difficult".

Bless ya' all and happy flying for many many years to come.

Sorry BEB - I know its not an answer to the OP, but its the best I can offer for now. Timbo

BEB this is one of those questions that keeps me awake at night. THANKS!

Builders, designers, young family guys, newcomers, experienced jokers. Really all one family, and you all know a black sheep or the proverbial prodigal son. But, Radge, Cyclic Scooby, Terry Walters, messers- Miller,Hooper, Bennet, Hawes, Nijhuis, Ton van Munsteren , Matt Jones, Tery Whiting, and this list is going to get ridiculous without mentioning the Ashby brothers or Josip, Big Phil,cymaz, of course Concorde Speedbird must get a mention.

Where to stop? but most of all any of the men or women that made a big difference to our hobby.

Well said, Downunder and BBC.

For me it would be Ken Anderson, he from the North East "Wit" Department

and of course not forgetting Tim Hooper, the man who puts us all to shame with the quality and speed of his builds.

And as an afterthought, how about Alex Whittaker just to find out if he's as mad as he seems

Gary G