P-51B - Tony's new design for the 2013 Special Issue

• 1 month later...

I hope that Tony has incorporated a correct upper engine cowling shape into his design. It's always puzzled me that Tamya have the contours spot on in their 1/48th P51B and D plastic Kits whereas FMS, Top Flite and Flying Styro have got it wrong. Many years ago Dave Platt got it right with his 80 inch span P1s which offered A,B and D versions.

If it's not too late, I'd like to see Tony do the Allison engined P51A/A36. It's hardly ever done, it's attractive in it's own right and includes the RAF Army Co-Op version with 4x20mm cannon in the wings.

The P51B, C and D are all well covered, but the early versions are overlooked and they were successful in their own right, even if not as glamorous as the later high altitude, long range Merlin engined versions.

Posted by kevin b on 14/03/2013 09:21:40:

How about this one Tony ? **LINK**

Definitely different and it is a real scheme !

kevinb

I like that and it has the advantage with the yellow underside of being a visable model in the air (some warbird schemes can make the model difficult to see)

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 15/03/2013 16:37:43:

The D is the prettiest for moi, so I want you to build this one which is un-modelled as far as I know. Unique too, and stripy!

All from Google images. Of course, you could build two, one B one D, one IC one electric... Probably asking a bit much of you though!

CS

Took one look at that an shuddered at all the masking!

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 15/03/2013 16:59:52:

No harder than invasion stripes though? Yes it is a K as I mentioned earlier, but the only real difference is the propellor. I don't think it would be excessively difficult!

CS

I find invasion stripes surprisingly labourious, and you get through a lot of masking tape! Mind you they make for very good orientation in the air. Danny's suggestion looks fantastic but perhaps not so good on an overcast day. After all its designed to be difficult to see!

The one you suggested... again fantastic - but I thought 48 sets of masked lines to do the wing! I did the spit with tamiya tape overlapped with cheap masking tape so that's 96 strips to apply! 

Good to see you back on the forum CS. I havn't notced a post for a while.

I have to say your suggestion would be worth all the work.  

Edited By GrahamC on 15/03/2013 18:05:35

Thought I better stump up. As I requested the 'B' variant I went looking for one of them. I'd want it with an RAF scheme too and I came up with this which would go on my shortlist if I were building one...

A bit different, and I think enough colour for me to see it!