P-51B - Tony's new design for the 2013 Special Issue

Very nice. Quite tempted. When I get the plans I will have a detailed look, to see if I like it, to cost up and see whether I can fit it in between the two Spitfires. She certainly looks nice, I think a Laser 70 or 80 would be my pick, and I could try the stripes of Fragile but Agile...

Hopefully lots get built in different variants!

I have the FW190 plans too, no I must stop!

One question- will the canopy for the D version be avaliable?

CS

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/08/2013 08:05:01

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/08/2013 08:05:28

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 03/02/2013 00:23:55:

The point made earlier about 'yet another P51 and taking a commercial view, is right. I did the Miles M57 Areovan a few years ago as an obscure request to design it (against my better judgement) and what a pig to design and produce....all for about 10 sales so far.......a real bomb....so not again.

Firstly may I say thankyou Tony for your great work in designing some great model aircraft. Now onto the sales volume, I believe part of the problem may well be the ridiculous shipping costs associated with buying from this site. As an example I live in Australia and was very interested in the Harvard, so I placed the plan and woodpack into my cart, total was eighty seven pounds fifty, all good so far. Then I set the delivery location to Australia and up popped the delivery charge of one hundred and one pounds to make a total of one hundred and eighty eight ponds fifty. Well, not going to happen is it.

Unfortunatley Tony does not set the postage charges, the delivery company do.

Easiest and cheapest would be to source the wood locally and cut all the parts yourself.

having just built the Harvard, there are no complecated parts to cut out, all very straight forward. and easy.

Just order the canopy and cowl.

Hope you do get to build it, not the easiest of Tonys builds but looks good once done.

Ausferret, I have to agree , re the shipping costs, I have found the way around this is to order the bits ya want and send the plan to a local laser cutter, there are a few in Aus, the one I use is Wolf models, he does a pretty good job

otherwise put a new blade in model knifeembarrassed

Nice job Tony another suberb effortyes

Ay updates on a Whirwind ??????

Barry

When you see a Tony Nijhuis New Design appear,one thing's for sure.................Everyone has confidence in Tony and ALL of his designs for a great looker and flyer.

Well done Tony............Not being too greedy ,but, what have you got in the pipeline to keep all our tongue's wagging.

Vince

Edited By Fats Flyer on 22/08/2013 15:50:39

Thanks guys for all your kind comments......make it all worth while.

I'm glad David did'nt put the photo of the nose over landing.....thats twice in a row she landed and went over. Must be out of practice or need some expo on the elevator. Still..not a mark on her.

CS....there will be a canopy availible but not quite yet.......CNC pack will contain the parts for both version.

Vince, need to return to the three Vulcans Im doing and just in the process of launching the 103" Hurricane (after the NATS)

We might do a DH Rapid for next year!

Very nice Tony ,

Shame it looks like a Spitfire or is that just me .

I think i would have chosen a different colour scheme, but then again i am just so against everyone`s seem to be so into must have a spitfire  Boring .

It is Very Nice Though yes

There That`s put the cat among the pigens ,  Stand well back for the back lash .

See if i care .

Wow that was a Quick Edit

Edited By Stephen Jones on 22/08/2013 20:05:40

Edited By Stephen Jones on 22/08/2013 20:08:10

Shame it looks like a Spitfire or is that just me .

I think i would have chosen a different colour scheme, but then again i am just so against everyone`s seem to be so into must have a spitfire Boring .

It is Very Nice Though yes

There That`s put the cat among the pigens , Stand well back for the back lash .

See if i care .

May I suggest specsavers, or is it that my eyes are younger than yours. I agree about the boring though. I feel the same way about P51-Ds, or any all silver / aluminium coloured airplane. Unfortunately though, if you are building a "scale" model it is normal to use a colour scheme typical of the period. I mean you wouldn't build a model of a Panzer tank and paint it luminous green, would you ? There again if you build a model it is yours to paint whatever colour you want.

In honesty though, I think Tony has chosen the colour scheme quite well. He likes it and it is also the best choice to "sell" the model to the magazines readers, but I know that if I build one it will be in the colours of the German captured plane (bright yellow).

kevinb. Never one to miss a good wind up.

As i have said many times on here i very much like the P51 in fact i have four of them in my collection and would chose a P51 over a Spitfire any day .

But for me The classic P51B is Old Crow

And the P51D being one of the silver variants Boring i Know but that is why we all have are own Preference .

I also know it was a British design, But it took the Americans to put a bigger engine in it and refine it to what many call the Cadillac of the skies .

i for one is no Sheep .

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 23/08/2013 10:01:42

Sorry Stephen, wrong again. It was an American design to a British specification and the engine was changed after an RAF "mod" was found to improve things (we built better engibes back then)).

However Old Crow isn't a bad colour scheme and although I'm not sure it is period, it is certainly scale.

kevinb.

It was actually Rolls Royce that decided to fit two P51As with two-stage 60 series Merlin engines at Hucknall. The Yanks had nothing to do with the idea. The tests were so successful that the Americans were told. They gave it priority and asked Norh American to move on it as quickly as possible. The rest is history.

Disparaging the Spitfire in comparison with the P51 is silly. It's not a co-incidence that the wing-span, area, length and moment arm dimensions of theP51 are almost identical to the Merlin 60 series Spitfire. Even the advanced radiator ducting system which the head of the P51 design team said added 35mph to its' top speed (the laminar flow wing was found later to add nothing), was copied from the work of Professor Meredith at Farnborough in the 1930s.

The P51 was one of the best examples we've seen of GB and the USA working together very succesfully and if you read the history, all parties involved in it had the greatest respect for each other and that is on the record.

Posted by 2W on 22/08/2013 20:18:05:

There must be a number of readers of RCM&E down under, so I am surprised that there isn't a recprocal arrangement for cut parts with a somebody like Manzunolaser.com to avoid the huge shiping costs from the UK.

For me, the best would be if RBCKits would cut this kit. There shipping costs are more reasonable and by far a LOT less expensive to ship to malta. I don't know why the shipping cost from uk are so expensive. Germany and France have the best shipping costs to Europe

• 2 weeks later...