P-51B - Tony's new design for the 2013 Special Issue

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 03/02/2013 20:26:55:

You'll be pleased to know the B is now shown on the plan and the three former modification also shown.....I think I may well build the B and offer both Canopies (B&D versions)...so it covers all angles.......

That's great news, and I suspect will bear dividends in sales. I may feel obligated to build one having kicked off that suggestion.

I was pleased to see that flaps would be included. I went to the effort of fitting fairly scale flaps on my build of Tony's 62 inch Spitfire, and I have to say that it makes landings a delight. It's so easy to pull off the kind of landing that gets comments of approval from onlookers!

I'll look forward to the magazine coming out.

Posted by jeff2wings on 03/02/2013 22:11:49:
Posted by GrahamC on 29/01/2013 08:28:22:

I tend to go for slightly more unusual options, and slightly more unusual scemes. If I want a USAF P51 D ARTF options abound, but the idea of building a B in RAF coulours might tempt me.

So you like "unusual" then devillaugh

3_195_b1.jpg

3_195_b1_a1.jpg

"Designed to confuse... perception" Maybe not a great idea for an RC model even if it is different!

John.... Having built a couple of Tony's designs, this will be A LOT easier and nicer to build than the Royal/Marutaka Zero. The Zero will be a fantastic model, but the plans are really head-scratchingly complicated!

It might be worth going for it instead of the Zero if you can wait. My Spit also has very benign flying characterisitcs. [Mind you I didn't quite trust him on there being no need for washout!]

Plan is also to do a half lower cowl in plastic also so this can be detached to allow the batteries to slide up into the fus. Not a great fan of hatches in the fus top for battery access......it away shows up

So to recap the model is going to be a B or a D version (you chose the Canopy option when you buy), good scale out line and fus section, have scale flaps, use electric retracts, jig tabs on the wing ribs, trying to in corporate electric tail wheel retract, electic or IC powered.

Oh and easy to build.......smiley

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 06/02/2013 09:36:51:

Plan is also to do a half lower cowl in plastic also so this can be detached to allow the batteries to slide up into the fus. Not a great fan of hatches in the fus top for battery access......it away shows up

So to recap the model is going to be a B or a D version (you chose the Canopy option when you buy), good scale out line and fus section, have scale flaps, use electric retracts, jig tabs on the wing ribs, trying to in corporate electric tail wheel retract, electic or IC powered.

Oh and easy to build.......smiley

I really hope the extra work to add the details for the B turns out to be worthwhile Tony. Going on the comments from this forum I think it will. I find myself wondering if this might actually turn out to be very popular indeed.

Your 62 inch Spit was my first major build, and for me, the biggest challenge as a new builder was aligning the ribs. I hope that the rib jigs and the slightly less complex plan form on a P51 might make it a very popular first warbird build.

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 06/02/2013 19:40:05:

Fortunately the P51 is quite a simple design and even adding the B detailing and the additional canopy, its still much easier than the Harvard was

Does that mean you'll have some time on your hands?

How about something a bit different in keeping with current flying field conditions. An Arado 196 for instance or a Heinkel 115, or even a BV 138?

Maybe it could be entitled "Tony's Challenge". I don't know much about the commercial viability of such models, but there are a lot of builders out there who like to build something out of the ordinary, but lack the ability, or confidence to totally scratch build them. I know some of my favourite warbirds are never likely to be drawn up, or produced as kits, but I am lucky and will probably do them myself eventually (roll on retirement).

Kevinb Aquatic aviation supporters club

Wow, I asked Tony, when will there be a Mustang in the size range of the Hurricane last year and look, here it is! Gee I must be all powerful.cheeky

Gonna be a pain though. I've got a Model Tech P-51 ARC to build, Mike Roach's lightweight Mustang to build, a Brian Taylor Mustang to build and now this.

GrahamC, it's worth reading the book on the P51 by Lee Atwood (or Atwell, I've forgotten), the head of the design team on the originally British funded project.

He said that the design of the variable inlet/outlet ventral cooling system was the main reason for the high speed of the Mustang, not the laminar flow wing which is normally given the credit and which he said with hindsight was not much use. The cooling system based on the principles developed by Professor Meredith at Farnborough was worth about 35 mph. Although fast in level flight, the limiting Mach no. of the P51 was about Mach.82, lower than the Spitfire whichwas flown up to Mach.92 eventually. Co-incidentally Supermarine found the same thing when they built the (good looking)Spiteful , derived from the Spitfire but with a laminar flow wing. That also proved to have a lower limiting Mach no than the Spitfire, which was probably because the wing of thenSpit was remarkably thin. (Credit to Mitchell).

Good on Tony for doing this one! A Mustang with a Spitfire 24 wing would have been very interesting. I've got the plans for the Frog Mustfire somewhere, must have a go at it sometime.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 29/01/2013 08:04:28:

I've been chatting to Tony around a new model for our 2013 Special Issue....we've now settled on something, it's a warbird, something he's not done before. It's a P-51D in fact.

Now I know some folks will raise their eyes a little given the ubiquitious nature of the machine, in model form at least but hopefully most will agree with me when I say that you can't have too many P-51s wink 2

I'll leave Tony to fill in the blanks and hopefully he'll blog his progress here too. I think he's settled on electric and 60"'ish span.

Well i have four P51s , so would one more be one too many

question

Edited By Stephen Jones on 08/02/2013 00:12:08