P-51B - Tony's new design for the 2013 Special Issue

Well that did'nt take long to get a few useful comments!! I'm trying to get this one as scale as possible. The out line was taken from some quality detail drawings I had so the outline is spot on. Also trying to hit right the scale fus formers. Can't make it too complicated though as it has to build it in a weekend!

retracts-----yes (electric) and trying to build in a tail retract too.....will have flaps and be electric powered but fire wall position is designed to suit 60-90 4-stroke ...

Re-----Vulcan, now test building a single turbine 98" version so that will be three to choose from...48", a 76" and a 98"smiley

Unfortunately Simon you are in the minority as most like the 60 size model. What i would say is we now offer a plan re-scaling service for all our plans so we can re-print to any size the customer wants. Just this week we scaled the Lysander to 150" for a customer and believe it or not I scaled up the 72" Lancaster nose section to FULL SIZE!!!!! for a film company...had to print out 15 former on 80 meters of paper.

Still pressing on

Everyone loves the Mustang. I think I would build this model were it a B and if I didn't already have the BT version of the same size.

Tony is a fantastic designer and I will be building the FW190 when I finally clear my board but I can't help but feel like the mustang is an attempt to increase sales. His spitfire' have done real well in the past and the obviouse choice is the P-51.

So while I look forward to seeing how Tony tackles this model I can now relax when the autumn issue is due out.

My 2 cents.

Posted by Dylan Reynolds on 31/01/2013 20:22:30:

I would have liked a scaled down version of his Bronco to say 72" ish, love that model thats always in his adverts, shame theres no prices for plans or wood packs (or is there? wink)

I would love to add a Mustang to my To Do list, buts its a bit long as it is

I was just thinking about sending a pm to Tony to ask that exact question. I thought his Bronco was stunning and would love o build one. If there is a scaling service on offer, where do I send the cheque?

Cheers,

Simon

Posted by GrahamC on 29/01/2013 16:40:47:

CS. It is indeed an adjustable outlet. One of the features of the P51 was the ability to manage the airflow through the radiators and utilise the thrust generated by the increase in air volume due to increase in temp. This gave the P51 a slight speed advantage. I think the vent shut as speed increased and the ram air effect into the radiator increased.

The Phenomenon has a name, but I can't remember it. BEB will probably know!

It's known as the Meredith Effect as I recall-it did give around 5mph extra in airspeed.

Posted by Shane Sunday on 31/01/2013 19:11:40:

Tony is a fantastic designer and I will be building the FW190 when I finally clear my board but I can't help but feel like the mustang is an attempt to increase sales. His spitfire' have done real well in the past and the obviouse choice is the P-51.

Well this may be just a hobby to you and me but it is a business to Tony and the publishers of RCM&E and the like and they need to sell to stay in business ! I did think P-51 ,yaaawn , but if you are looking for a plan at this size you will find there's not much out there , yes there is B T's plan , but that's at the "top end" like Dave Vaguhan's one so this will be a very welcome( and no doubt ,popular) addition to the plans range.

However, I would not build one as the D has been' done to death ' by the ARTF manufactures , but if Tony was to do a supplementery plan to convert it to a B , much like Topflite did with there P-47 and P-51 kits then it would defiantly find a place on my building board !!smileyyes and a few other's I think .wink

I for one will be building it .Funny how people say "60-size" isn't it for lekky power motors?. My father I never knew flew them before becoming a test pilot at the reknowned Roswell base in the USA after a secretive "part -time job" in the early version of the CIA ie ,the OSS .Mine will be powered by a fourstroker of course.I've yet to decide which. Money no object for the sake of my father.

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 01/02/2013 19:24:25

Sounds great Myron, I look forward to hearing about that. I can't wait to see Tony's P-51, and if I can I may just knock one up myself (with a four stroke, P-51 is ideal with the cooling hole under the spinner) and maybe build her as Fragile but Agile. Not sure though, I'll wait to see the model, Tony's build and get the free plan and see whats what.

I think 60 sized is just right, not too big to be horribly impractical but big enough to house Flaps and retracts with a reasonable wing loading while maintaining room for scale detail.

How are you finishing her Tony?

CS

All comments noted guys.....i will try and incorporate.

The point made earlier about 'yet another P51 and taking a commercial view, is right. I did the Miles M57 Areovan a few years ago as an obscure request to design it (against my better judgement) and what a pig to design and produce....all for about 10 sales so far.......a real bomb....so not again.

Note about the voting, we'll do that again next year but i have got the top 3 from 2011 which included the vulcan and DH98, so they are on the cards.....

I am surprised Tony didn't produce a P51 design years ago or at least before the Lysander, FW190 and Harvard. Very commercial and popular I am sure, if not with me especially. Now the single turbine Vulcan is a different kettle of fish (can't wait) although at 98in span my little Wren 44 will struggle with only 10lbs of thrust. Perhaps Tony's scaling service could reduce it to say 72in?

Posted by GrahamC on 29/01/2013 08:28:22:

Interesting news! He will have to get a move on!

One thought... just to lob in my two penny worth. What about getting him to show a P51B alternative on the plan?

It might need one or two different formers, but not much else. Personaly I'm not sure I'd build a D. I tend to go for slightly more unusual options, and slightly more unusual scemes. If I want a USAF P51 D ARTF options abound, but the idea of building a B in RAF coulours might tempt me.

I wonder if showing formers for the alternative might make the plan more attractive to a number of builders.

As I said - just my ramblings!

Edited By GrahamC on 29/01/2013 08:28:42

This was exactly my first thought! Great minds...?

Or do Tony a favour: Buy two kits and make an F-82

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 03/02/2013 11:37:07

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 03/02/2013 20:26:55:

You'll be pleased to know the B is now shown on the plan and the three former modification also shown.....I think I may well build the B and offer both Canopies (B&D versions)...so it covers all angles.......

WOOO-HOOO !smileysmileythumbs up I was going to buy the mag anyway , but now I might get to build my first WW2 fighter !