P-51B - Tony's new design for the 2013 Special Issue

I"ve just looked at Tony's web site, he has a wide selection of individual parts bits (plan, vac form parts) and a combination of parts allowing you to select which deal you wish.

The most expensive being £179 but that includes his plan, vac mouldings, pre cut wood and all the extra wood required to build it. At the moment only the B is available but the D version is in the pipeline.

I like the way he does it, you can buy as much or little as you wish and make the remainder.

I'll be building one from the free plan.

If you are in Aus, can I suggest SC Models in Melbourne. They can take a paper plan and by means of some slight of hand, laser cut you some speccy balsa and or ply bits.

They cut me a batch of ribs for my 1/6 scale BE2c from a CAD file that I prepared for them.

Looking forard to seeing this plan BTW... I was drooling over the FW 190 plan from last year today...

Cheers,

Hugh

I'm with Stephen Jones. The cover pic is very nondescript in not showing the whole aircraft. Yes, you can pick it for a P51, but only afer examining the detail. With the British livery my first thought was 'Spitfire'. Showing the tail probably would have made things a lot clearer.

It's actually quite interesting, the similarity in the lines between this vintage of allied aircraft.

Posted by Phil U on 20/09/2013 01:19:20:

I'm with Stephen Jones. The cover pic is very nondescript in not showing the whole aircraft. Yes, you can pick it for a P51, but only afer examining the detail. With the British livery my first thought was 'Spitfire'. Showing the tail probably would have made things a lot clearer.

It's actually quite interesting, the similarity in the lines between this vintage of allied aircraft.

Shou;ld of gone to specsavers even at a quick glance i cant get close to compairing it to a spit

please dont take that as slander

Andy

I have been in touch with Tony to see what the cost would be in shipping Plan, Vac parts & CNC pack to NZ.

Unfortunately the quote came back at 150.00 pounds, nearly $300 NZ which obviously makes it totally prohibitive.

Also asked about getting the CNC cutting done here downunder but his main concern is not with royalties, but having no control over quality. I can certainly understand this and respect his view.

However I have researched another method of shipment which has an approximate price of NZ $50.50 (to within $5.00) and is controlled from NZ, so this looks like the way to go. 1/6th the UK price!!

Now I have to decide to go for the P51-B or Tony's 62" Hurricane ( I lean more towards British A/c) Ahh too many choices.

Tim aka kiwikanfli

Sorry VC I am not part of the Tony Bennett Ministry of Model Aircraft production probably take 4-5 years before completion. No apart from blowing the flying budget space is at a premium, thought about asking my wife to park her car on the street instead of in the garage so I could expand the hanger space but self preservation set in before I made possibly a fatal mistake.

Anyone started this yet? Been looking at Tony`s website for oleo info but nothing there. Thinking of a YS63 for power to make it at least sound a bit aggressive and should suffice, but may look for a suitable petrol so that I need not worry about the fuel affecting the finish.

Just want the canopy really since I would do everything else from scratch as usual.

The bench has been cleared!

I bet you'll do it in no time Martin .If I could fit one in I'd like to re-jig it as the A, with the Allison engine and finish it as the RAF army co-operation version with 4x20mm cannons, which I think looks fantastic. I've never seen it done, yet they reckon that the Allison versions were very effective at low level and with 4 Hispanos, it must have been really useful. More dreaming!

Got the winter special today! Will order the full kit once the D canopy is available.

What sort of retracts and legs were used in the build? Maybe I missed it, but I can't find any reference...

I'm thinking about using the O.S. 5025-375 http://www.osengines.com/motors/motors/airplane-index.html
Any thoughts here?

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

It has started (with hiccups) on `Build Blogs and Kit Reviews` for anyone interested.

Mine will be the `D` variant with i/c power. I hope that others attempting this subject will contribute their interpretation of their build ideas. I have already found a couple of `iffy` bits which may cause concern.

Martin Mc

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 30/09/2013 22:43:24