Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

OK, I'm back from flying now, and the results are out...

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 TeamTyphoon typhoontone 1644
2 F1 Legends Rob Lewis 1617
3 JohnPs plodders JohnP 1579
4 Roos Racers rk295 1333
5 Revers Racing Pete B 1280
6 Speedbird Concorde F1 Jacob Cleverley 1246
7 IPjnet F1 Ian Jones 1217
8 Norfolk Flyers nss 1133

After I've had something to eat I'll feed the results into my spreadsheet and let you know who did well and who did "not so well" in Singapore!

Well, for a change the results were largely in the same order as our current league positions. As a result there are no changes in league position after today's race.

The top three scores go to the current top three, 192 for Tony, 173 for Rob and 163 for myself. 4th best today was Pete whose 136 points keep him in 5th place. 5th today was Ian, 126 points leaves him still in 7th. Jacob's 113 points was the 6th best today, also leaving him in 6th in the league. Robin can perhaps count himself fortunate that no place drop followed his 7th-best 99 points, with 88 points leaving Norfolk in 8th place.

Not perhaps not the most enthralling race, though it did come alive a bit in the closing laps. So, Korea next in a couple of weeks - with qualifying at 6am on Saturday 5th and the race at 7am on Sunday 6th October.

Edited By John Privett on 22/09/2013 21:12:13

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 22/09/2013 15:51:05:

Reading the BBC F1 feed, why do people have to boo Seb, well done Brundle for telling them to be quiet.

Well, I certainly wouldn't actually boo him, but I don't like him. He may well be the best driver at the moment, but he comes across as an arrogant litte so-and-so... Strutting around poking his finger in the air doesn't exactly help his image either. I think the Red Bull PR department have a bit of work to do.

I can see what you mean, but I actually quite like him even though I don't support him. His behaviour at Malaysia- even before Multi 21- was appalling I think, but overall he has a good sense of humour and he seems a nice guy. But wouldn't it be great though if it was a Button vs Hamilton race to the title next year?!

As for my performance, pretty dismal really. Hopefully next year will be better (as 21 drivers are saying now probably...)

CS

Athough I did enter "Fantasy F1", I did not continue, as the site said I was not registered, nor was my password recognised.

I do wonder how I would have done, as to many my reponces would be formulaic. That is Vettel to win, pole position, fastests lap etc. I saw Red Bull (Jaguar/Staurt) as the best car at the moment.

On the other hand Paul Di Resta would have been a poor call.

Yet it seems petty to me the abuse that Vettel receives, rather than arrogance, he is passionate, has boyish enthusiasm. How good is he, well, he consistently out performs Mark Webber, a rather more gritty, but likable driver.

The issue of Singapore, overtaking Mark, how many wailed about team orders in earlier years. Perhaps the team, his employers have a right to be upset, then again he is an employee, not a slave, or in the army (receiving orders). They could perhaps sack him, if you want to win I would not.

Red Bull are definitely a class act. Then again I remember when Mclaren were a class act, romping away with the World Championship, only for Hamilton to blow it all. At that time a flawed driver, probably better know. The driver matters a lot.

It seemed easy to identify the best driver, car, team combination this year, yet next year. Now that Harvey Postlethwaite, John Bernard are no longer with us, it seems the era of Adrian Newey. So will much change?

The changes for 2014 areso massive, it is almost certain that there will be new sherrif in town.

Not being in F1, I can only guess.

I am fearfull that the reduction in fuel allowance to 100kg, it has been said that at present in the region of 160kg is being used. I hope the race will not become a series of Le Mans endurance races of the past.

Then there is the engine, which although a turbo, is apparently limited to 15,000 revs, which is lower, thereby limiting power, unless the fuel can be made to give more energy. Or the air cooled, to get more oxygen, I assume that liquid oxygen injection into the air box would not be allowed.

The cars are heavier, but then again Turbo engines tend to be heavier. I wonder, will the engine design be frozen at the beginning of the season as now?

Given that the KERS will be bigger, I assume that the heat issues that many teams suffered, will be even greater. The important question I ask, will we get better Lipos out of all this?

Even the wings will be smaller.

So I guess, the fist few races could well be a lottery?

1.6 litre turbos, only 600 horse power though, but the new KERS (called ERS) gives 160hp for 33 seconds a lap. Yep, the cars will be heavier- 642 kg this year to 690 next year. And smaller wings, so the cars will probably be slower. (Full list here).

I think there could be a situation like 2009 after the big aero change, the low running team who focused all energy to 2009 had by far the best car- Brawn, who were Honda in 2008. In that case Mclaren should be quick judging by what they are saying, but Red Bull will be quick with such a good design team, Ferrari have Allison amongst others so they should be good. Mercedes will be interesting to watch.

Some drivers will adapt to it better than others, that is not possible to predict, but like Erfolg says it could just become an economy drive which will be dull..

CS

I do think that potentially the engine change could be the decider. I remember that both the TAG (or should that be Porsche) and the BMW Turbo engines were from memory simple 4 cyl engines, where bags of fuel was pumped into the exhaust to spin up the turbo, hence the big flash of flame. I doubt you can do that with 100kg, and get to the end. So will drivers have to live with Turbo lag and small multi turbos, or some other means?

From the CS link, what does the freeze on gearbox design mean in practical terms. Is it ratios, or the internal arrangements, or the adjustment on the diff etc.

For many talented drivers these could be very trying, if not dangerous times, as they try and push rubbish cars to a result. I always think of Jim Clark (again a very talented driver) paying the price of poor equipment, in a lot more dangerous car, due to the lack of safety features. Or possibly Ayton Senna, trying to deal with Schummacher.

• 2 weeks later...

A little early with the reminder this time - on the basis that qualifying is at 6am UK-time on Saturday morning...

So get your predictions in before then. By all means wait until after P3 which starts at 3am, but I won't be doing that! Probably sensible though to see how P1 (at 2am tomorrow morning - a little over 3 hours away) and P2 (6am tomorrow) go.

But bear in mind that the weather might have a major say in how the race turns out. There's a tropical storm possibly heading their way for the weekend. The F1.com website forecast is for 26C, "clear" on Friday, but 26 and 25C and "storm" for Saturday and Sunday. The BBC forecast looks a little more optimistic.

Edited By John Privett on 03/10/2013 22:49:56

Thanks for the prod John, I normally leave until Saturday morning, which means I would have missed my chance.

I made a few team changes, taking a hit in my points, but hopefully this team will do better for the remainder of the season. And this time I've set my predictions with my head, not heart. Although it was nice to see Lewis on top form again.

r.

Well, Ian... I'm never sure whether it's best with the predictions to stick with your initial thoughts or change them! I guess you're about to find out. dont know

I've emailed Adam at badger to see if there's an issue with google logins. I doubt there will be any response though before tomorrow given the late hour of the day and the early start tomorrow.