Peter Miller asks what next?

Advert

Hi Peter, I've always liked the Feisler Storch, or even better, the French version the Morane Saulnier Criquet, which has an exposed Pratt and Whitney radial engine (à la Stearman) I suspect the big greenhouse would be a bit of a challenge

ernie

Well. I have just started drawing up the model. Took a long time and a lot of head scratching. and playing with sizes etc. etc.

The model that I have chosen is the YAK 18 Max. The early one with the blister cowl. Scale about 1/7th, span 59.5" Power 48 to 52 sour stroke.

I have superb 1/10th scale drawings of the aircraft but what finally tipped the balance was that back in the 70s I designed a control line stunter based on the the aircraft. Checking my C/L plan I found that the fuselage was almost perfect scale.

I had designed it for scale but the editor of the day wanted a stunter.

This all means that I have most of the construction designed. (Told you I was lazy)

Another factor was that I obtained a plastic kit with an all red colour scheme which is a brighter colour than most of them,

Now I wonder what the reaction is going to be.

Wonderful.

I have a very soft spot for Yaks. The 18 looks very similar to the Yak 52.

**LINK**

When my wife retired her leaving present was an aerobatic flight in the aircraft in the above link.

I can predict that I may be under pressure to build one.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 03/04/2013 19:15:24

The Yak 18 looks very similar to the Yak 50 but the 50 seems to be smaller. The Yak 52 also smaller. However all the books seem to differ as to the span of all these planes so maybe some had clipped wings. Some drawings make the single seat canopy look further back than others. The blister cowl looks nice but difficult to make.

Any of these planes should make an excellent model & I look forward to seeing Peter's plan published soon.

There are lots of Yaks based at North Weald and that's the venue for Wings & Wheels model show in a few months.

Edited By kc on 03/04/2013 19:46:32

I had not realised until Peter's comments about Henry Haffke, that he was the designer of the Coverite Kits of the Gee Bees. I have one a Model D.

Have you considered a Zeta for the future Peter, not a air racer, yet has presence, and shares many of the look and feel features of some of your own designs?

Peter

Your method of construction is virtually the same throughout your range of designs .Keep using it but maybe embellish it on something else not done yet (don't know quite what -but maybe even a well tested and proven design-may I say an Edge or an Extra -or something with a thicker symetrical wing section even ).That way we will know it is another of YOUR designs & it will fly well .I sound like a salesman -but you do have your own well respected "brand" so to speak .In other words ,convert the ARTFers to building your style .Simple but effective

Myron

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 04/04/2013 18:44:36

Posted by Erfolg on 04/04/2013 18:30:09:

Peter

This is the aircraft I was thinking off.

THat is interesting. Amazingly it is not even mentioned in Haffke'sbook, let alone a picture or 3-view.

Myron.

I wanted something a bit different to to build. Even my Yak is very much standard Miller inder the stringers. But at least the stringer and cowl will provide a bit more interest. Add in the flap under the centre section and a bit of cockpit detail and it has sparked my inspiration.

I have anpother aircraft that I would live to build but the colour scheme is so diabolical (or expensive) that I can't bring myself to do it.

The Zeta appears to be a one of, a bit like the biplane. It was a Peter Miller design (ok Pete Miller) used as a runabout for many years, before being found in a barn, recovered and put in a Museum, in Springfield, MA.

You have to do it! I can see the heading, "Peter Miller builds a great Pete Miller design"

Peter, I know you said a couple of pages back that Fighters are out as their wing loadings 'tend to be rather high' but have you considered the Polikarkov I-16 'Rata' ? Here. The wings have quite a good area albeit low aspect ratio, even if the fuz is huge (fat) - although no more than a Gee Bee racer. On the positive side despite it's short tail moment it does have a very large tail plane to compensate! The huge cowl would easily swallow your 52 sized 4S no problem if the model was built with a 54in wing span. That just leaves the retracts, but you could always go for fixed gear and call it fantasy scale. I am no purist!

If you started it today Peter you would finish it in a couple of weeks which would save me the trouble of trying to produce one myself. wink 2

I can't say I'm not a little bit disappointed with Peter's choice,(sort of a Russian Harvard) however I'm sure the novelty/challenge of constructing the Yak's cowl will be an interesting distraction and I do have a spare pair of retracts needing a home.

The thing I enjoy the most about Peter's discussions is the amazing variety of suggestions that come forth from all other contributors on the forum. They certainly whet my appetite for building.

Sorry but the Polikarkpov just does not excite me to be polite.

Ruprect. The retracts go backwards with the U/C legs outside the wing which will present you with problems. I gave up on that.

One aircraft that I would like to do is the Aviat 110 Special. I suspect that the cut vinyl colour scheme would cost a fortune and there is only one colour scheme. I will NOT accept a non scale colour scheme.

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/04/2013 18:23:21:

Sorry but the Polikarkpov just does not excite me to be polite.

Ruprect. The retracts go backwards with the U/C legs outside the wing which will present you with problems. I gave up on that.

One aircraft that I would like to do is the Aviat 110 Special. I suspect that the cut vinyl colour scheme would cost a fortune and there is only one colour scheme. I will NOT accept a non scale colour scheme.

How about this one then Peter ? **LINK**