Incredible quadcopter SAR from a Castle...Inspiring story, a must see.

Matt Halton

Hi guys, thought some of you might like to see this amazing recovery of my lost quad from the top of a medieval castle recently.

In a time where no one seems to care, this guy comes along and saves my quad with a GoPro on board, a very heartwarming and inspirational story, with stunning airborne video sequences.

It further proves that humanity isn't dead, and this story has a great feel good factor, what an amazing guy snoopw111 is, watch and enjoy

Matt

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 18/03/2013 13:08:27

Advert

Am I the only one to think that maybe the OP shouldn't have been flying in that location in the first place? The courting couple weren't too impressed were they. Although I'm a keen model flyer, if I were out visiting an ancient monument with my wife I wouldn't be very happy about a camera equipped multicopter buzzing round.

David

Posted by Captain Slog on 23/03/2013 16:00:56:

Am I the only one to think that maybe the OP shouldn't have been flying in that location in the first place? The courting couple weren't too impressed were they. Although I'm a keen model flyer, if I were out visiting an ancient monument with my wife I wouldn't be very happy about a camera equipped multicopter buzzing round.

David

public place,daytime and he's filming the castle.maybe the couple should should of went some where they were unlikely to be disturbed by children? just my take on it you understand.

rob.

If I had posted the vid I think I would have cut out the couple sequence. BUT this vid shows two things: 1. How useful the rotary wing jobs can be. For instance, they could be ideal in helping to find lost models, either hovering over the models location to give the owner a fix, or taking video or GPS fix, or even dropping a marker. And 2. The comaraderie of model flyers. Help! Why does my carrige return no longer work on this forum???? It works on everything else.

This is indeed a heart warming story, and the pilot exhibits considerable skill.

It just a pity that what is going on is probably illegal in that it is a breech of the conditions for the excemption of ANO Article 166(3). The excemption explicitly says (among many other things)

"The person in charge is accompanied by a competent observer who maintains direct unaided visual contact with the SUA sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions and advises the person in charge accordingly"

I don't see any evidence of such an observer advising - indeed if you read the conditions stipulated here on the observer and how they are to be used you can see from the video that most of the requirements are being clearly breeched.

More importantly possibly, on a number of occassions such an observer (even if they had been present, in the right position, properly briefed and competant) would have been superfluous has the quad was out of sight from the ground behind the structure.

The excemption ruling goes on to say,...

"The person in charge must not fly the SUA:......within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft"

Well that's clearly out of the window isn't it!

This might be a great story - but remember the ANO is not a voluntary sign up agreement - it is the law. Perhaps you might want to think again about braodcasting such activities to the entire world on YouTube - I'm sure that the CAA have computers too.

BEB

There are guys who fly gliders over there all the time, have done for years.

Not sure how the ANO sits on flying near an unoccupied building, and I was spotting for him,and at no time was anyone in danger, bystanders were informed of inherent dangers, and were happy to stand back and watch.

The whole operation was ran with safety being the number one concern, I understand your points, but feel them to be slightly over reactionary and scare mongering.

It was well planned, co-ordinated, and most of all SAFE

Sorry if it has annoyed anyone.

I agree Matt,

This guy looked to be flying just as responsibly as most of us, it wasn't a "populated" area.

I'd be far more concerned by some of the big slope soarers being flown in public areas and some of the model clubs flying on common land. IMHO opinion these are accidents waiting to happen.

I don't really see the physical risk of Quadcopters anywhere near approaches the threat of 10 to 20 pounds of out of control powered or unpowered aircraft.

maybe a little bit of resistance to this new aspect to our hobby and the speed of which relative newcomers can invade our space.

Regards

John

I agree with matt.There are two flying clubs within a stones throw away from the castle which is in the middle of nowhere with green pastures all around.As Matt says,gliders are always around this area and Matt is a safe and concious flyer ,designer and builder with years of experience.I watched the video a few times and every bit of flying was very controlled and the final capture of the rescued model was safe .

Edited By Fats Flyer on 23/03/2013 20:20:47