Simple question about the "A" and "B" test.

Shaunie

Advert

I've done 3 tests, A & B fixed-wing and A heli, all with different examiners. In each case the examiner has prompted for each manoeuvre in turn as the previous one has been completed.

In the case of the F/W A, the examiner took me through a dummy run beforehand so I'd know what heights, distances etc. he was expecting to see in the test and to explain how he expected to see the crossover performed from the circuit in one direction to the opposite direction circuit.

Posted by John Lee on 01/04/2013 20:46:19:

As an Examiner I call the sequence to the candidate exactly as laid out in the BMFA Guidance notes, e.g. 'Next, fly a 'figure of eight' course with the cross over in front of the pilot, height to be constant'.

Ditto

Posted by Bearair on 01/04/2013 20:53:33:
Posted by John Lee on 01/04/2013 20:46:19:

As an Examiner I call the sequence to the candidate exactly as laid out in the BMFA Guidance notes, e.g. 'Next, fly a 'figure of eight' course with the cross over in front of the pilot, height to be constant'.

Ditto

Yup, and me

I have always considered it as my job as an examiner to guide the candidate throught the A or B not to try and catch them out, we are here to help not hinder, if in doubt ask, remember we all had to go through an examiner test which is a bit of an extended B so we have all been there. Linds

hello shaunie......i'm an examiner.......and i will tell the candidate how the test is going to be done.......and once the model is trimmed for the conditions...i'll ask them to let me know they are ready...then follow the test manouvres....the way they are laid out on the test form......no big deal.....any examiner worth their salt will talk/take you through the process .....well before the actual test....

ken anderson....ne..1 ......worth their salt dept.

Thanks for all your replies Guys.

I thought it would be like that, but the dumbest question is the one you don't ask!

I'm sure I practised/took my A cert once but it would have been about 1990 and I have no record of it.

I'm sure the A shouldn't be a big problem and I can do all the B manouvres, but precisely enough?

Need to get sorted as I'm thinking of joining a club, where I fly at the moment the cows don't judge me!

Shaunie

I thought the BMFA guidance was that the manoeuvres for the A test didn't have to be conducted directly after each manoeuvre? I.e. your allowed to go around in a circuit to line yourself up for a figure-of-eight.

If the BMFA was notified about your A, then they're likely to have record of it. One of our club members hadn't been flying since the mid-90's but started again a couple of years ago. The club secretary advised him to make sure to send any old address with his BMFA application too. Low-and-behold they came back with his old membership number and that it recorded that it has his A on record.

Si.

Posted by Simon Chambers on 03/04/2013 11:26:41:

I thought the BMFA guidance was that the manoeuvres for the A test didn't have to be conducted directly after each manoeuvre? I.e. your allowed to go around in a circuit to line yourself up for a figure-of-eight.

Si.

Absolutely right Si - the only requirements are that the manoeuvres are completed within the flight without any additional landings (i.e. other than the one specified) and demonstrate competence.

There should be no tricks or difficulties introduced. The A is meant to be a straight forward demonstration of basic competence to fly a model unaided.

Posted by chris basson on 03/04/2013 10:28:52:

Shaunie, if you have taken your A in the past it may well be that the BMFA have a record of it, it's worth giving them a call to ask !

You Are a member aren't you? it's important for insurance even in a field of cows!wink

CB

Yup!

When I started up again I applied as a renewal and got the same number I had in the 90's yes

As regards my previous A, I just can't remember, it is quite possible I only did some practice runs and never took the A test proper. It certainly is not on my BMFA card and if I have taken it before I'm not too proud to do it again.

It specifically says in the guidance notes on the B (I didn't check the A), that it is not meant to be performed as a schedule but if a candidate does it does not affect the outcome one way or the other.

Shaunie.

I understand that some records were lost when the achievement scheme records were computerised something like 20 years ago. I suspect the lost records might have been those of people who had passed the tests but weren't members at the time the records were transferred. I've certainly heard of several people rejoining the BMFA after a gap and getting their old number back along with previously-gained tests, also others whose A/B records have not been preserved.

• 3 weeks later...

There are two local clubs that interest me, but as they say "no names, no pack drill" whatever that means wink. I have good but different reasons for joining either of them. What I need to do is gather up some money to pay my dues before I can join either club anyway. One club certainly needs a minimum "A" to fly solo.

The plane I am flying most, a 20 year old Dare-U with Spektrum gear and a Thunder Tiger 46Pro, would be hard work for the B test as I never fitted a stall in it when I built it. Despite pulling the CG back to the rear limit I cannot get a fully developed spin, I just get a spiral dive.

Shaunie.

More throw......+/- 45deg not enough then smile p .

I've got 1 1/2oz of lead in the tail at the moment and I can add another 1/2oz to get right to the rear limit which may help. But the specs are 1990's, it's likely that by modern standards it could go father back. It does fly ridiculously slowly. I flew in about 10kts wind last night and my turn into wind for landing was basically on the spot.

Or a model that will spin....That's my plan I'll use my Seagull Edge 540 I expect, not ready for the B yet anyways.

Shaunie