traditional build but not vintage

john melia 1

where are all the traditional build kits , that aren't vintage frown , i'm looking for something i can progress to after getting back upto speed with my ARTF trainer , which is good to get you in the air quick , but back when i was involved in aeromodelling (a long time ago i may add ) i got just as much enjoyment building ,as i did flying .

I've done an initial google search , but other than the old super 60 type models and cub type models can't really find much , i don't want a bi-plane (i have a puppeteer ) and i dont want a flying shoe box (i have the artf sedona that fits the bill)

i would like something over 60 inches devil either shoulder wing or low wing , and ultimately a spitfire , i don't know how hard the spitfire is to fly , but i would love to eventually progress to building and flying one

Advert

Fun Flyer, if you read his post he mentions the super 60 and specifically says he doesn't want vintage.

John, head over to Pegasus, as they do the wonderful Sig Models kits. Also worth checking out Top Flite kits and also Pegasus do their own range. Might also be worth looking through MyHobbyStore, as they do the old Galaxy Models kits.

What about a scratch build? There is a plethora of plans between the RCME plan index, the Outerzone website, and Model Airplane plans site (US site). Parts are cheap between Hobby King or your LHS. The only real price part is the covering, but should still come in under the cost of an ARTF. And the satisification of flying your own scratch build is second to none! thumbs up

• 4 weeks later...

Bob is right, but I reckon a Wot4 is much more forgiving than an Acrowot and is better for learning aerobatics as you can get away with more mistakes. Dont worry about it looking ugly it's whether it helps your flying to progress or not. Plan built equivalent like Mike Delacoles Rival or larger version Big Easy might suit. Or the good old Ugly Stik ( online plans for a revised version can be found) Or the plan packs from DB Sport & Scale offer a couple of models with plans and rib sets for about 20 pounds. Sky Rider looks right for your engine, or the smaller Ghost Rider.    SLEC have the Funfly or Limbo Dancer kits available again.

Edited By kc on 13/05/2013 11:56:21

Hi John

I was of very similar thinking to you, wanted to get in the air quickly so got an ARTF to train on but then wanted to build ( which I enjoy as much, if not more than flying! )

As follow on to my Wot4 that I learned to fly with, I built a Sig Four Star 60, it was a a pleasure to build the instructions are fantastic with lots of pictures.

It is a great first low wing model so stable and just floats on and on, I have an OS. 65la in mine more than enough for it.

I have some pictures of mine in my album

Dean

Sorry I haven't John. But if you go on to You Tube website and search for Sig Four Star 60 there is a few videos on there. Sorry would put some links up but I am at work so I am using my phone.

If you want to know anymore about it give us a shout.

Dean

The designer of the Four Star 60 -Bruce Tharpe-has produced a new version called Venture 60 which he sells in USA You can read what he says about the Four Star versus the Venture here

I dont think anyone sells the Venture here but it may convince you to buy a Four Star anyway ( if you dont mind the ugly canopy angle )

You can download many Sig manuals here

Edited By kc on 13/05/2013 19:58:28

Well it's not just the canopy that looks odd in the Four Star but the front decking. Check out this article from the old RCM ( USA mag ) which shows a revised nose job. Perhaps not for an inexperienced builder but a good idea for others.

I think Pegasus or someone had a big stack of Sig kits at slightly lower prices at Wings and Wheels last year.........worth looking again at the end of June this year as it saves postage too. But otherwise check the price and shipping if you buy direct from Sig in USA allowing for VAT & duty of course.