Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Not the first model started but the first kit build to be completed for a very long time. A West Wings Orion finished representing the Peruvian Flag. Why? because my girlfriend is Peruvian and it was easier than the Union Flag . AUW 342 grams. Not yet maidened and will need a calm day. We have had two or three of those in the last year.

p1060423.jpg

p1060422.jpg

p1060431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to prove I can nail something together that isn't a PSS model....................cheeky

I picked up a CA Models Zafiro last year, an unstarted kit. They're no longer making this kit and I think it's from the mid 2000's. Originally designed for the venerable YS110 + pipe I've gone electric with an Axi 5320/18 Gold and Jeti spin 99 Opto ESC with 6s 5000 LiPo's. All the woodwork is glassed and the finish is 100% sprayed. I wanted a contemporary spin on a patriotic scheme, what the photo's don't show is that the green is neon and in daylight is offensively bright!

Major deviations from plan were a new undercarriage as detailed **LINK** and some motor mounts turned on the lathe. Looking forward to getting this one out thumbs up. More pics in the album if interested.

zafiro 1.jpg

zafiro 2.jpg

dscn0109.jpgdscn0108.jpg

NEW WINGS FOR OLD.!

Some impressive models indicated , but I have go to back to basics and pass my A test. About 8 years ago my club (BPMFC) required a field test to allow solo flying. This I passed with my old acquired 3 channel RM Trainer . Now of course virtually all clubs require flyers to pass the A test which I must get around to doing with my Western Cougar 2000. However I have managed to obtain a new aileron wing kit for the RM Trainer and just need to complete the construction. The RM Trainer could then be a handy reserve for the test. Once I have passed my test hopefully I can progress on other planes I have yet to finish plus I can dig out the Uproar from my loft and also have a laugh with the YAK 55?.

MJE

001.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/04/2014 17:44:12

Some say the Uproar equates now to a trainer ,but C O's old model can really motor with the OS 46 with tuned pipe  installed. I have other planes that are just too fast for the test and I am fearful with at least one of them I would have problems with the motor cutting out.

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/04/2014 18:44:56

Hi, I'm a little late in posting this one as she first flew last year. She is a prototype build for a kit produced by Green Air Designs. Sadly due to recent happenings it is no longer available. The wingspan is 62" weight 8.5 lbs and powered by two 72mm Lander fan units. She is fitted with lights and retracts and looks very realistic in flight, is quite aerobatic and can imitate the Vulcan steep climb out very nicely.

vulcan_g5_complete (1).jpg

GAD vulcan complete.jpg

vulcan complete (4).jpg

vulcan_Gear jpg

fly by.jpg

gad vulcan (5).jpg

Adrian

Edited By Ady Hayward on 23/04/2014 21:53:32

• 2 weeks later...

Beechcraft Musketeer (Guillows Kit)

p1060914.jpg

One year on and off. First covering with tissue and dope twisted the wings horribly and broke the tailplane.

p1060916.jpg

Now stripped and covered with Litespan.

p1060920.jpg

Cox 010 up front with remote tank

p1060921.jpg

Didn't bother with undercarriage. Just now needs trimming for free flight and then ready for the maiden. I am terrified!!!

p1060924.jpg

Those are the fuel filler and vent pipes stuck into a thicker piece of acetate. Will trim them when I know everything works OK.

sam_0305.jpgwe call it the wotouger, wot 4 fuselage and Weston couger wing hence the name, running an ntm 650kv outrunner 60 amp speed controller , 13x8 apce  and a 4s 4000mah lipo giving us about 15 minutes flight , being flying her about 2 weeks and she fly's like a dream we cant fault it. we have also flown her on a 6s lipo which makes her ballistic :D.sam_0304.jpg

Edited By Dave Coleman 1 on 06/05/2014 23:35:17

dove.jpg

This is my latest model. Had it's maiden 2 weeks ago but suffered with serious adverse yaw when turning right. I changed the single aileron servo to two so I could program in some differential. And it worked a treat. I now have to get the hang of controlling the vicious swing to the left on take off.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one I built recently. It's a look-alike (definitely not scale) of a Douglas M2 mail-plane.

Ready to fly 2

I built it from a plan (Superspad) on Outerzone. The plane is actually for a Spad, but gives the Douglas option, which I went for as I didn't fancy covering the scalloped edged of the ailerons and elevators!

View from rear 2

I maidened her a week or two ago. On the maiden flight she was a bit of a handful, and felt tail-heavy. I added (taped) a bit of lead to the nose and the second flight was a great improvement.

Pilot getting a feel for the controls

I've since increased the nose weight by about 40 grammes and I'm waiting for a suitable day for another bash.

It might help if the pilot would watch where she was going............

Further photos, including some of the build are in my albums.

Cheers GDB

Edited By Caveman on 23/05/2014 14:26:21

]Zlin 526 from a 35 year old SIG kit that was given to me ages ago. Had it laid away until I retired, so put it together last year. Most of the wood was useable, although I had to get replacement 1/16 sheet for the wing skins - luckily US kits of this vintage just gave you the foam cores and left the application of the skins to the builder. Went for an electric set up for convenience - the model is a lovely sight in the air with its trademark tapered wing planform and is whisper quiet with its slow revving 15X8 prop. 72" wingspan, AUW  is just a tad over 6 1/2 lbs because of the film finish rather than nylon/dope/paint.

Fully aerobatic as befits an aircraft of its era, I've had many comments that it makes a nice change from all the Extras, Edges and Sbaches. What's amusing is that when newcomers to our hobby find that it's build from a box of balsa, they find it hard to get their head around that that is how it used to be done!laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/05/2014 14:58:26