Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by Pete Taylor on 26/03/2015 22:01:18:

I fancied something a bit different.....

imag0647 (1).jpg

Hi Pete a guy at are club has one of those with an ic engine in it , His seems a little under powered and needs a long run up to get airborne , but i am not sure what size engine he has in it .

So on watching his i would suggest along run up before trying to lift the nose , until you have flown it a few times and know what you can and can not do with you're power setup .

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 06/04/2015 00:09:11

Advert

Posted by pete taylor on 26/03/2015 22:01:18:

imag0647 (1).jpg

That's very cool.

It has elevators on the canard, so I guess the AOA can be tweaked during take off.

I had to laugh at the Nitro Planes sale page , as they don't seem to have anyone who knows about planes proofreading. " This is a modern-light aircraft,that has good air-powered design. CAD-engineered balsa structure, duck-like design make the fly easily and more like the modern craft. " Duck-like design? Hahahahah! Even though canard means duck in French, it doesn't bear direct translation when applied to aircraft. face 20face 20thumbs up

Heh, forgot to post a pic of my P2K when it was new earlier this year.

My P2K colour scheme.jpg

The colour looks a bit washed out, in spite of being in the shadow of the house. Not sure what the camera was thinking, but it is old, like me. And I forgot to take a pic of the underside, but it's just double width blue stripes under the main wing and one angled red stripe on the stab..

Posted by pete taylor on 26/03/2015 22:01:18:

imag0647 (1).jpg

Thanks for the compliments chaps.

At around 440 Watts, she's certainly not over powered, but gets around quite nicely on 1/2 throttle most of the time. To be honest, the 5 blade prop was sitting around and added for the cool factor wink. The motor could quite easily turn a more efficient one and produce more beans...maybe later.

Take - offs are longer than I would expect though even allowing for the power. I'm guessing that this is most likely due to the lack of prop wash over it and possibly a slightly forward CG (it is at the recommended spot though)

Reading reports on the full sized Long EZ, it seems that extended take off and landings are fairly typical of this layout. I might extend the oleo in the nose retract to see if this helps. Certainly, a healthy dose of up elevator gets her off the strip, but once airborne she's a pussy cat - albeit an odd looking one!

New 1200mm span F4F Wildcat from LX models, with folding wings and scale retracts. Bought in kit form, which is like the old GWS kits. It's inspiration for my 1/6 scale scratch build from early 80s plans.

Normally, it comes in Pacific blue US Navy scheme (or pre war silver with yellow wings). However, I decided to repaint, open the canopy, add scale weathering and coat with PolyC and Eze-Coat in a Royal Navy scheme. Just needs some stencilling finishing, but otherwise now ready to maiden.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks, Bill.

It's probably my favourite aeroplane; I do like WW2 naval aircraft, particularly US. It's a pity the complex undercarriage puts so many manufacturers off. I think this is the first ARTF Wildcat with retracts and I think there are only 4 different sets of plans for larger (90+ size) versions. Pity, because they always fly well. Mid wing, lots of wing area, large stabiliser, largish fin and radial cowl to hide engines. It's almost made for RC as an easy flying warbird.

Regards, RR

It's a fair bit smaller at 1/5th scale than your mighty DG 800 Soren, but here's my new electric Topmodel (Ecotop) MDM-1 Fox. As the cockpit is so large, even at this modest scale, I added my own pilot and some extra scale detailing. There's now't worse than an empty office!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally got around to getting a PA Katana MD. I bit the bullet and got the reccomended set up using the IPA power set and hs65hb servo's all round, just to see if you do indeed get a difference for more of your hard earned RC tokens. I can safely say I am blown away by how this thing goes. Rock solid and really does what it says on the tin. I am by no means advanced in my flying abilities, but with this it even makes me look good! I would recommend it anyone - love it and worth every penny - and I am tough to please when spending my money but I am glad I went the extra mile with the setup.

_mg_9663.jpg

Cheers, Simon