Futaba 6EX 35 MHZ not transmitting

Jake gazzard

Hello guys,

I bought this 6EX a few weeks ago, a guy had it brand new unopened!

It worked perfectly for a few weeks, but on Saturday it turned on fine but it would not connect with any of my recievers. It's not the crystals as I have tried multiple and it's not the receivers as all 5 worked perfectly a few weeks ago. Its not the PPM or PCM. It's not the TX or RX batteries either as I have tried a few.

any ideas at all? I had no luck googling it. It's really frustrating as I just built a Tricopter, and my Weston Cougar is desperate to fly!

Thanks in adadvance

Jake

Edited By Jake gazzard on 30/09/2013 07:10:04

Advert

If it was me the first thing I'd do is try and get another Transmitter to illiminate all the airborn gear you have. Is there no one you can borrow just for 2 minutes to try a xtl in there tranny to check. If its the TX the only route is to contact the seller you bought it from or Futaba them selves. If its unreliable you cant trust it and you will loose your Cougar. I had a transmitter years ago that did the same just as I took off my first pride and joy. It was a second hand Transmitter and the plane flew in circuits for a full tank of fuel for 10 minutes and then ditched in the sea.....all was lost and I was 12 years old and gutted !!!.....

Jamie

No good then, I'm in Hereford. Perhaps another engineer type will see this post who is more local to you.

If it was me, I would want to take advantage of this weather and those new models and get out there - a Spektrum DX6i combo is less than £120 from Kings Lynn models and then you would be away!

If it really was new & unopened then it may well still be under warranty, if it's too old for that then it's suspicous. There are so many 35 Mhz sets around unused now ( due to 2.4 of course) that it's not even worth trying to repair such a Tx. Reliability is everything.
Ask you clubmates if anyone has an old reliable Tx they dont use.

Edited By kc on 30/09/2013 11:07:06

There was a design/build fault on one that a clubmate had which caused a claim on the BMFA insurance when his model hit a car shortly after take-off - that I happened to be standing at the other end of....

It was quite sobering to see the damage to sheet steel caused by a medium sized model with a 46 engine...

He had recently passed his A and it was his instructor's car that was hit and despite his protestations, most people put it down as an early solo error.

A couple of weeks later he found glitching as he carried the model out - with the transmitter resting on the wing (a good way to get marks all over it, by the way) and after some investigation, I found that the cover over the crystal holder was applying pressure to the mounting on the PCB and had cracked the joint. I resoldered it and built up the casing with epoxy/microballoons to stop it happening again. On reflection, the description of his actions and experiences during the previous incident were entirely consistent with a loss of transmission.

The other thing you could check is whether the aerial wire has come loose from the internal mounting - I've seen these loosen when people are in the habit of unscrewing the aerial regularly but the usual symptom is intermittent operation.

• 5 years later...
Posted by Percy Verance on 16/06/2019 13:31:10:

Jake it sounds like it's one for Mike Ridley. Try www.modelradioworkshop.co.uk for more info. Mike used to repair/service Futaba gear for Ripmax, but now operates independantly. He's good. Very good in fact....... He's the UK service agent for Multiplex, but can repair or service most makes. He's also worked for MacGregor and JR in the past.

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/06/2019 13:34:36

I've feeling Jake may not be interested in your advice.
He last posted 6 years ago. teeth 2

The trouble with re-opening old threads is that the old info persists and in this case the new problem is completly overlooked! A new forum member - Roy - asked for ideas why his Tx only has the throttle cut working

He said "

I have a 2.4 transmitter 6ex went to the field and it rained all day went home two days later i noticed the tx was switched on battery flat put another in and it wont connect to any rx the only thing that works is the throt cot button any ideas please Roy"

So perhaps we should try to answer that .....

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/06/2019 06:35:16:

Well it's good you found great humour in my trying to help someone.............

Sarcsasm and misplaced wit is of great benefit to us all. There is of course the fact that my post may still be valid or helpful if someone needs a radio repair doing? Another post suggests that was indeed the case. Perhaps you didn't consider that? Like certain others on here, point scoring jibes seems to be a little side hobby of yours........

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/06/2019 06:51:03

You are the only one who has descended to using sarcasm, Percy.
There is none in my post, why on earth do you think I would ever want to ?
You've overreacted to a gentle leg pull with a pompous attempt to justify a mistake that many of us have made at some time when replying to resurrected old posts.
When the mistake is realised after a leg pull most of us respond with - "Doh !! blush" or similar.