Voting Chat Thread

Advert

What short cut off date Martin? I posted a week ago (here) that we would run nominations until the end of this month, also the nominations thread has been open since 17th which I think is long enough to all a chance to nominate a model. And with 39/40 nominations we are hardly short of them are we!

OK Chat here. The nominations catalogue is here. And the voting thread itself is here.

Away we go!

BEB

Yes, indeed, thanks for that BEB....

As I pondered my choices, I had an idea.

It might be too late for this year, but worth thinking about for future years.

The problem with selecting a model is that the ideal model is not the one the most people want to build, but the one that most people would build.

It's a bit like serving chicken at a wedding reception. It might not be the choice that most people would make, but its the most acceptable choice for the greatest number of people!

It's just possible that there are models on that list which a lot of people would build, but wouldn't make it into any of our top 5's

An example might be the Piwakawaka which isn't in anyone's top five so far, but is the kind of model that I suspect lots of people would have a go at if it was chosen, it would be cheap to build; easy to build and would suit a wide range of flying styles.

I think that Survey Monkey [There are probably other options] would easily allow the creation of a free survey that would answer the question... "Which of these models would you build in the mass build?"

Anyway...just an idea! I'm really hoping that something I would build is chosen this year! I'd love to take part! ... Now off to cast my vote....

Edited By GrahamC on 01/10/2013 08:47:08

Posted by Rentman on 01/10/2013 01:20:10:

Hi BEB,

There is an RM Skybird but its a glider here. I'm sure thats not the intended one unless the idea was to add a motor.

Ian

Yes I found that as well Ian, but comparing the picture with the one in the nominations thread it definitely not the same model.

That one, and the Agri Duck were the only two I couldn't find - and following a chat with Chris Bott last night I'm not sure I have the right Jaberwok - as there are two models of that name! If anyone does have a link for the missing two, or know definatively which Jaberwok is nominated could they please send me a PM with the details and I'll amend the catalogue. Thanks

BEB

Graham, I think you are spot on. But the hope is that such "chicken" models might not be anyone's number one choice - but they could pick up a lot of 2's and 3's meaning they will get through. Well that's the plan anyway!

I think it really comes down to each voter being a bit sensible - you might really want a particular model - and there is absolutely nothing to stop you building it of course! - but ask yourself "is this really a sensible Mass Build Choice?" Is this a model that fits the bill? Or is it just something I personally want to build? I think this is a time for "collective social responsibility" as the politicians would say!!!

What are the qualities we are looking for? Well I'd say;

1. Something that can be built fairly cheaply - so no retracts, need for 11 servos etc.
  2. Something that can be built fair easily and quickly by an experienced builder. This is important, we do need to entice a reasonable number of experienced builders into the process to act as "mentors" and "leaders" - pioneering the way for the less experienced. These guys have existing build schedules - often they know the model they are going to build after the one, after the one they are doing now! To draw them in we need a model that they see as a "quick cheap build" that offers a bit of scope for "individualism"!
  3. Something that is not too much of a challenge to fly. Many of the less experienced builders are also less experienced flyers - and some of the more experienced builders don't have the reactions they used to have!

So, let's exercise some common purpose and try a get a model as many as possible can sign up for.

One final point. We'd like as many people as possible to vote. If you're not certain you will take part - but think you may do - then by all means vote. But if you have absolutely no intention at all of taking part - regardless of what's selected - we would ask that you consider whether you should be voting to select the model? Contribute to the discussion by all means, and if there is a chance you'll take part then vote, but f there is no chance - we'd ask that you abstain.

BEB

Posted by Bearair on 01/10/2013 10:09:29:

BEB when you say take part, do you mean build and then fly at Greenacres or just build? In all honesty the chances of me going to Greenacres is very remote but building in a mass build appeals to me.(depending on airframe).

Roger

Roger,

The Greenacres gathering isn't compulsory for builders, it' just a nice addition for those who want to get together.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 01/10/2013 10:22:25

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 01/10/2013 10:21:48:
Posted by Bearair on 01/10/2013 10:09:29:

BEB when you say take part, do you mean build and then fly at Greenacres or just build? In all honesty the chances of me going to Greenacres is very remote but building in a mass build appeals to me.(depending on airframe).

Roger

Roger,

The Greenacres gathering isn't compulsory for builders, it' just a nice addition for those who want to get together.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 01/10/2013 10:22:25

Thanks David, I have therefor added my vote.

Hope the Jaberwok we are talking about is the bipe, I had completely forgotten about this model. I have never built one but used to fly Martin Beddings who used to ring it out mercilessly!

it just so happens I picked up a Jabberwock IV kit last Saturday, and I have a kit of parts prepped for a Sharkface so guess what my first two votes are!

Can we assume that choices such as the Tinker and Tyro include all variants and sizes?

I remember Ian Peacocks Skybird as around 38" span for .15-19s or equivalent electrics, Ian's build article included photos of half a dozen minor variants for IC and electric, one very pretty example having Hoerner(sp?) tips and a Peacock paint job.

Posted by Rentman on 01/10/2013 10:18:40:

BEB. Found Skybird here! I also checked and it looks similar to the mag cover except wingtips are different and its got a cockpit. I like it. Is it the same?

Ian

Edited By Rentman on 01/10/2013 10:23:45

Thanks Ian. Yeap found that one too - but I rejected it because it say first published in 1996 - but the Skybird in the nominations thread is on the front cover of a 1986 Radio Modeller? But they do have a striking reseemblence - the fin is slightly different, the wing tips have changed and this 1996 one has a cquired a cockpit from somewhere! But I've added the link anyway and let's call it a "reworked" example!

BEB

Roger - yes David is right. "Taking part" means intending to build a model - and hopefull blog the process. Greenacres is a nice "add on extra" for those that want to go, but it not an essential part of the Mass Build.

Bob - yes; Barnstormer, Tinker, Tyro etc includes all sizes and all variants - including variants you develop yourself!

During the Webbit build we had such variants as; the "Veebit" (Webbit with a Vee Tail), the "Webbington Bomber" (Webbit tricked out in black with droping bomb), the "Gyro-Webbit" (Webbit converted to am auto gyro design), the "Wide Webbit" (as its name implies a sort of "porky webbit"!), the "cowebbit" (a Webbit with horns!) and the "mini-Webbit" (a half size version). I think this aspect is a powerful demonstration of one of the great benefits of building - the scope it allows for individuality.

BEB