Voting Chat Thread

like I mentioned before, very similar to the Flea-Fli was the Carl Goldberg Junior Skylark. As a pre-fab kit it was very easy to build and even working from a plan, I reckon it's probably easier than a Flea-Fli. Looks very good yet very easy to fly. I built one in 1970 and although I knocked it about, took the u/c off to hand launch it and converted it from originally rudder only to elevator and strip aileron, I flew it until the Golden Bee wore out! It's one that I kept and is definitely restorable. I've got a new Norvel .06 that I reckon would fly it a treat.

I've got the plan, but I imagine it's one where there could be some copyright issues to be sorted out for wider use. Next in the queue after the Frog Jackdaw? (Which is in the queue behind the Seafang, Supermarine Swift, Wee snifter, Westland Welkin and some others that can wait a bit longer). Must get cracking. Oh, need to find time for some flying as well.

Advert

To the honourable community of RCM&E forum gurus:

Where are the voters?

No activity since yesterday lunchtime!

This is worse than the general election!

Where are the Curare and Dawnflyer fans?
Only who votes can change something! If we are too lazy the decisions are done by the others!

So - please leave your votes here no matter if you build the winner or not!

Hope we see some activities later today!

VA, lobbying department

Posted by David Davis on 11/10/2013 05:56:27:
Posted by Martyn K on 10/10/2013 23:13:25:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/10/2013 22:39:23:

If you ever come across a model that is all of those - let me know! wink 2

BEB

Easy Answer BEB - it's called a Flea-Fli nerd

Martyn (maybe pushing his luck)

No it's not it's called a Tomboy! wink 2

NO - it is called the Rat Out Of Hell !!!cheeky

So canvassing time .....

There is less than 12 hours now to hit that "Edit Post" button on your vote selections - and that will really cheer up all of the Excel Spreadsheet followers - LOL!

So you want something anyone can fly and enjoy, that is really cheap, flies well, a nice size as standard but can be scaled to any size you like, for I/C or Electric, pretty straight forward to build (a first time builder should be able to do it with a little build blog assistance) and does not have many parts to cut out / put together ... well that is everything that the Rat Out Of Hell is (and OK - it does have a unique appearance but that is all part of the fun and who else in your club will have one?)

So come on everyone - take another look at it - see how it fits all of the Mass Build requirements and vote or hit that Edit Post button!!

**LINK**

**LINK**

Not long to go now!!!

Edited By Mark Stringer on 11/10/2013 09:45:12

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 11/10/2013 10:26:22:

Mark,

You need to do some serious lobbying - the Rat out of hell doesn't have a lot of points so far...

But may be I can convince somebody to vote for a Curare or a Dawnflyer?

VA

Plenty of time yet! - Only needs a few votes to move it up to the shortlist - just needs everyone to take another look at it to see how well it fits the requirements of the Mass Build and to vote or edit their original vote to get it where it should be!

Sitting 11th at the moment but just a couple of votes would bring it right up the list - Vote Now!!

I reckon the Swamp Rat fits all BEB's criteria. Very easy & quick to build. Flys well, what more do you want?

By the way, Jr Skylark is available as a free PDF tiled to print on your A4 printer from Dave Fritzke RC page. But of course we are not considering it here, this is just for info as Colin mentioned Jr Skylark.

Edited By kc on 11/10/2013 11:25:29

Thanks KC, you might be right about the Swamp Rat. Also for the note about the Jr. Skylark plan. As you say, it's not one for the mass build but when you first introduced the Flea Fli it reminded me so much of the Jr. Skylark that I mentioned it. Some of these old designs do stand the test of time and with modern radio and motors or electric drive, become even more viable. We're never going to run out of projects, are we! I just need to fly more, it's very frustrating.

Of the front running models - the ones that I think meet the criteria would be (in no particular order):

1. The Tinker and the Tyro as a pair. The Tyro is perhaps a bit sedate for a more experienced flyer - but they could build the Tinker. Its basically the same model with an extra wing!
  2. The Dawn Flyer - simple build flys well.
  3. The Mini Jazz - again simply and fast build and, although aerobatic, like most fun flyers it can fly slowly well. Its not like say an Extra who's stall characteristics takes no prisoners, it much more benign than that.
  4. Swamp Rat - for the same reasons as the mini jazz.

Any one of those would be a good choice I believe.

As I say I, personally, do not think the Barnstormer is a good choice because it too big a build. The Pushy Cat almost fills the criteria in that it is cheap and easy to build,...but it flys too fast for a new pilot I think and hand launching pushers is not for the faint hearted or inexperienced!

Just my personal view

BEB

Oh ! Yes, now that floats my boat.

I can almost see the funny side. Here's me railing against the Pushy Cat, how unsuitable, cannot handle the wind, has handling issues and so on. Then there are others, saying, its so quick to build, beautiful, handles so well and so on.

Yep, given that my favourites seem to be falling by the way side, the Pushy Cat rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am still perplexed though about some well supported older model designs. Just like Stanley Matthews, who had tremendous longevity, a real giant with a long and illustrious career.. A really talented player, but from a different era. Somehow I could not see him competing today as effectively with the likes of Ronaldo, particularly in his latter years as a 50 year old, as required fitness levels have increased, pitches changed, tactics developed. Yet some of the supported models were designed for SC, where the characteristics and requirements were so different. Or models designed for multi channel equipment, that was heavy, particularly the servos, designing rather staid aircraft, due to low powered and slow servos, and poor IC motors compared with todays units .

Todays designers have stood on the shoulders of their ancestors, they have simplified constructional methods, where applicable, lightened designs, extracting all the benefits of today's RC sets, the designs taking account of the lighter, faster and cheaper servos. The greater reliability of RC equipment, and the entry of electric flight, providing opportunity to design for greater performance from the model. I am saying all of this as an OAP, not a whipper snapper, I am suggesting that it is time to give todays designers a chance.

Well I am not an OAP just yet and you have seen my modern designed Rat Out Of Hell design - so based on looking at new designs and light weight kit am i too late to nominate the Radio Queen this year - LOL!

Here is mine - lovely to build - big Team Gear motor - 14 ni-cads and standard radio - still beautiful though!

Electric Powered Radio Queen

Team Gear Unit in my Radio Queen

Blimey Erfolg! Old fogies such as as us and then Mark comes up with a Radio Queen(!)(?) I've also fancied one of those, I could have 40 winks between turns.

I don't like the idea of these modern designers standing on my shoulders, we've done enough for them already. They'll be after our pensions next.

Sounds as if you'll be building a Pushy Cat then.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 10/10/2013 19:04:03:

plans to restore my Frog Jackdaw, which last flew in about 1979 at Greenacres, then called Walsall Airport.

Colin - just noticed the above - that means you must have been there at the same time as myself - small world

I learnt to fly there in 79 - Graingers Eagle (or was it a house brick) followed by a Low Jim with my Graupner Cirrus in the afternoon - then someone called Baz (Barry) gave me a Jabberwock III and look where got me!!

Posted by Mark Stringer on 11/10/2013 16:06:12:

so based on looking at new designs and light weight kit am i too late to nominate the Radio Queen this year - LOL!

Here is mine - lovely to build - big Team Gear motor - 14 ni-cads and standard radio - still beautiful though!

Electric Powered Radio Queen

Team Gear Unit in my Radio Queen

If you like the Radio Queen Mark then the Tyro will be right up you street.

Lots of sizes available for all budgets and requirements, or stick on a bottom wing as well and call it a Tinker.

If this one comes up trumps I have some ideas for a combo model that can be Monoplane or Bipe whenever the fancy takes me.

Here's the little one in the hands of Boddo Jr.

Or the big one

Or the Tinker

I'm sure one could be built to be very Wot4 like if someone wanted to.