96 quid gloves

Ah! Now I understand.

I wish I hadn't looked now!  I don't like being fed BS and this advert feeds me lots!  I don't know how they have the nerve to ask for so much money!

The advert is very . . . . overly descriptive and the rest of their website isn't much better.  

Violoft is not comparable to wool but rather cotton, Ron Hill use the fabric a lot in their gear.

Cape leather is, indeed, used in aircrew gloves but there's TONS of it around rather than the bespoke quantities that is indicated.  You can buy cape leather goods from  . . .well. . . .anywhere!  

I cannot see them being any better than a decent pair of Thinsulate leather gloves which does everything that they claim theirs do, as well as being water repellent, and is £80 cheaper!!

**LINK**

Edited By John F on 17/10/2013 21:00:28

Edited By John F on 17/10/2013 21:03:03

Edited By John F on 17/10/2013 21:20:04

Wot bob said.

They#re basically neoprene. but have the thumb and for finger tips expsosable (for tying nots in fishing line and other fiddly things). This means that you can feel the end of the stick with your actual hand without freezing the rest of it and crucially they'r much more windproof than woolies.

They're also quite grippy, but possibly not that fuel proof.

Could I just present a couple of objective facts re these gloves, facts that were possibly not known earlier in this thread. Cape leather has now become a generic term to describe the finest leather used to make quality items, but within that category there are finer and coarser grades of leather...for example....cape leather polo gloves retail at about £70 but are much tougher leather and made to withstand a rough life gripping a polo mallet and reins, and a cape leather sofa would be made from leather far too thick for gloves.

With the advent of touch screen technology, NATO pilots needed a thinner cape leather outer glove than previously required as greater tactility was required Our gloves at rcgloves.com are made from the finest of the fine cape leather and are bespoke ordered. It is true that there is loads of cape leather about, but it is not all of this fine grade.

Violoft does indeed feel like cotton, it is the flat fibres in the fabric which give it the soft 'cotton like feel' and help trap pockets warm air when combined with the round fibres. That is the whole idea of using this fabric for the inner glove, but the message is that violoft gloves are like having wool gloves on only they are thinner, warmer and softer.

I admit that I have added a very modest mark up on the gloves, but, the advert and website are not feeding you BS. I could understand someone feeling that way if they had thought that cape leather was a uniform single grade of leather and I hope this does not provoke an argument and I am not trying to be confrontational, just possibly clearing up a misunderstanding.

I can understand that some people could be outraged at the price, and would never buy any of our gloves and that is their right and choice of course.

There are plenty of cape leather gloves on the market, but don't assume that they are made from the absolute finest cape leather, for example the below link is an example of some gloves which don't have pique stitched seams and are very fine gloves, no doubt, but may not afford the tactility that we require for rc use.

I hope this gives an objective overview, sorry it's so long, but I couldn't get all this onto a couple of lines.

Kevin Johnson at rcgloves.com

**LINK**

Well, I suffer from extreme Raynaulds disease and quite honestly anything which could help would be a boon. Even grasping a car steering wheel in the summer will bring on an attack which will last for an hour. The only quick solution is to put my hands in warm water. Flying in the winter is almost out of the question so I have splashed out on a pair. 96 pounds is a lot of money but I would try anything. They do indeed give a good stick feel. My only grievance is that the inners are separate.

Re the inner gloves being separate, we were offered the option of the inner being attached to the glove but having it separate means that it fits around your fingers and hands independently of the creases where the leather bends and therefore offers better insulation. secondly, you can manually straighten the inner gloves if they become twisted.

• 5 weeks later...

I've tried all sorts of gloves over time and not found any that I felt comfortable using while holding a TX. I have a set of fingerless things that have lasted longer than most. Last year I saw somewhere that latex 'type' surgical rubber gloves were supposed to work well.

Despite my better judgement that they would be useless for keeping your hands warm, I have found that they work pretty well and that I can fly in them. I leave them on all the time at the field and put on thin leather gloves between flights

stu k

For anyone who suffers badly with the cold how about these inner heated gloves for motorcycling? They are made from a lycra like material which doesn't hamper feel. The batteries are expensive but they work with any 12v battery. A friend of mine uses this one from Amazon. Not tried them for model flying but they're a revalation on a bike smiley

Dave.

I bought some Keis heated inner gloves for use on the bike last weekend (Kwak ZRX1200, I do 100miles day) and they are already my new favorite thing. I did think they could be used with a 3 cell lipo but I would need low voltage protection for the lipo.

I use running gloves for flying. They are thin, light weight but but stop the wind and are surprisingly warm and £10. Not high grip but I have not had a problem and you get good feel on the sticks.

The one problem I did have is that Mr B Jnr has purloined them (also for flying) and I had to get another pair.