Disaster

Advert

Hi Rich 2. I have a Wot 4 foame and a F15 edf but like the chill out side of a glider, although yesterday wasnt very chilled at all. When you say you fly in any weather does that include rain ? If so how do you stop the esc getting wet ? Living on the coast in south wales we get more than our share of it. Ive read loads about flying in the rain and it seens to be a 50/50 split

Well, ok, I dont generally fly in the rain (I've been caught out), but I do not like to be dictated to by the weather either. I would have no problem flying the Wot 4 in rain. The wings stay on mine so easy to seal that part with silicon or similar. Do you need to worry about the esc? Arent they sealed units? I would concentrate on waterproofing/sealing the connections. The motor should be fine. Perhaps a good motor spray to help stop corrossion. But lets face it you are not going to be too attached to a model you fly in those conditions.

The main thing to waterproof is the tx - you will need a proper cover for it.

Don't be such an idiot RB, considering you are new here, I will let that one slide. But I will be highlighting this to the moderators and let them deal with your attitude towards other members, if you don't like what I say then don't bother responding therefore i will have nothing to respond back to.

This is generally a decent and clean forum, therefore i suggest you keep it within those parameters!

Well - we have considered deleting this entire thread - I can only remember one previous occassion when we have had to take such drastic action. But we have decided not to delete it because there are posts on here that remained on topic and dealt with the OP's question in a sensible and helpful manner.

However, there were some that were utterly unacceptable - the author of them is no longer with us.

And some that were less than helpful.

We have deleted those posts as well.

One post went in the cross fire I'm afriad because although in itself it was perfectly reasonable it quoted in full a post that had to go - no point in deleting a post that unacceptable if it was quoted in full else where! - Sorry Daz you seem to be the innocent victim again! As I say your post was fine - it was the quote that had to go and without that the rest of you post made no sense!

So - a few comments to those who did not cover themselves in glory will be sent. I'd just like to thank those members who kept their head in the face of provocation and those that tried to calm things down.

We'll reopen the thread incase anyone has any further useful advice for the OP (sorry to hear you lost your model by the way). Bear in mind if you read this thread it may be a little disjointed in places because of the post deletions we needed to do.

BEB

I'm happy they have re-opened your thread Gixerbenton, and I do apologise you had to witness what went on here, especially being a new(ish) member, it really doesn't happen that often.

And now back to the point of the thread

I can't really advise on what went on, and its going to be impossible to find out without the recovered model, even CSI Miami coulkd solve this one lol

But personally I wouldn't trust an Orange receiver in anything valuable, in my experience they are alright for parkflyers and in close flying with foamies, I don't think I would use one flying at 500ft personally. I'm not saying this was the cause, just how I perceive them.

Anyway I hope you get yourself sorted with a new airframe and are back in the air soon, I know what its like being grounded for weeks on end lol.

Cheers Dylan, all went a bit mental there. Some swear that the Orange rx are fine but for me the damage is done, litterally lol. Glad to say not grounded as have another 2 models both with Spektrum rx. I was led to believe that parkfly equipment was ok for foamies of relativly small size and the full range stuff only needed for the much larger models. Live and learn, AGAIN lol blush

Glad it's re-started because I wanted to give this info....
My club had a number of models crash on 2.4 all in the same area. One member stopped using Spektrum after 3 crashes and bought an expensive Futaba only to have the same thing happen! Model seemed to lose contact, then almost got control back but spiralled in. At least 4 members had this happen on Turnigy, Futaba & Spektrum. All had different failsafe setups.
Recently a couple of members bought Tx with telemetry which gave an audible warning when signal was weak. It seems that when the models flew out beyond some large trees, although above them and behind but in sight, the signal weakened. We are still investigating but this seems the possible causes of about 6 or 7 crashes- signal gets deflected by trees even though model is in sight and Rx goes into failsafe. Often recovers from failsafe and it's hardly noticed but just occasionally it cannot recover. This only happened in the area at the back of 3 tall trees, flying a long way out in a different area never gave problems.

I found 2.4 is very handy but I dont think I will be getting rid of my old 35Mhz gear....probably try to buy any good 35Mhz gear that's going cheap.....

Edited By kc on 08/11/2013 19:19:05

In our club a number of folk had problems all around a similar time with Orange receivers so they tend not to be used much. It may even have been a batch problem.

One issue, has to be the single aerial that just sticks out of the Rx body. There's plenty of advice that says a 2.4Ghz aerial can be "blanked" by a metal object in the aircraft at some angle or other. Having the little aerial just makes it harder to position sensibly, away from anything metal, including servo wires etc.
Only having one means they can't be positioned "a few inches apart and at right angles to each other" either.

I do use them on smaller, less valuable models and have had no problems at all myself. But, then, I've not flown them more than maybe 300ft away.

I have a few of the the older single aerial R610 Orange receivers and have never had a single problem with them. I mainly use them in smaller foam indoor and park fly models but have flown my AXN Clouds Glider up to a tiny dot in the sky with one and never had a problem. Saying that I guess a totally foam model is transparent to all radio signals so no chance of masking the signal.

Like a few people have said, the OP will never actually know the cause of the crash because the model is lost, which is a shame.

The older Orange rx has a port for an optional satellite rx, which i've used a spare Spektrum DSm2 one with.

Protocol matches, as both units show a yellow led, indicating a bind and still a solid led after flight. Still,I'll only use them on less valuable models, but know one person who used it on a 120 model.

That model crashed, but wasn't the single antenna Orange rx's fault - the battery was totally flat, club member didn't recharge or check batt before flight: QED.

Gixerbenton, when you say that you thought these Rx's where really for smaller foam models I think you might be in danger of misunderstanding the term "parkflyer" in some respects. It doesn't just refer to the size of the model or if it made of foam. There is a significant range implication. The term implies a model that is intended to be flown in a more constricted space - so its never that far away, as Chris cites above.

The problem is, if you have the eyesight for it and the space, I think it is quite possible to fly such a Rx out of its range.

BEB

With respect to the place where this, and other models have experienced problems, is there any lighthouse or radar station within sight (not necessarily next door) or any weather station.

As I have mentioned on an old thread - I experienced problems in North Devon on beach when I flew through a microwave link between Instow and Lundy island some 8 miles away.

Just a thought and these dustbin antennas seem to be springing up everywhere.....

Also - was there a train going past at the time - a lot of trains now have wireless available which might (Ollie - come in here!) cause interference.

I know I can't fly my micro helli anywhere near my BT router without it going haywire.

Skippy

As the BMFA do not define a park flyer, I would suggest the AMA definition which is a model that ways less than 2lbs and does not fly faster than 60mph. Which makes a Wot 4 foamie boarderline I think. My point is that the rc manufacturers are probably thinking of the AMA regs when they discribe the rx's as sutible for park flyers, the USA being there biggest market I think.

Roger

Ben, mate who I do most of my riding with got a k8 in Rizla Colours, awesome bike will leave the tre for dead on certain roads. Not rode the tre for 3 years cause of health but hoping for a return next spring,