Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

A bit more done...
moving back up front again, I've done more to the Carden Ford. The baffles are in place, two inside that divide the chamber into layers. Exhaust goes in at the back, round the first baffle at the front, round the next baffle at the back, then into the top chamber and out of the four exhaust pipes on the right side. I'll get the outlet holes cut tomorrow hopefully. I ended up cutting the top plate off to get the baffles in, but before I put the new top back on the cylinder head bolts were tacked on, so the aluminium head can now bolt on. Its removable so I can get access to the top chamber so the baffles can be changed about if required. The four exhaust pipes will be used to alter the back pressure as required, by making them protrude into the top chamber and / or closing their internal ends up a little. We'll see. Also included are a couple of pics to show just how little of the actual firewall is in the 'hot' zone, so I'm confident there'll be no heat issues through the 5mm plate. The rest of the Carden is from 1mm and 1.5mm plate, but it is structural and can accept some lead filling at the front if required.

Ian.

dscf2485.jpg

dscf2488.jpg

dscf2489.jpg

dscf2490.jpg

dscf2492.jpg

dscf2493.jpg

dscf2494.jpg

dscf2495.jpg

Got the rear mounting plate sorted. This mounts to the gearbox mounts on the real engine. In my aim to keep it practical I have welded it on through big holes cut in the plate. These welds filled the holes and therefore it doesn't look welded on so I can silver solder or even bolt using scale size bolts which would be a bit small to do the job on their own. The plate is assymetric as per the full size, since the two distributors and associated gubbins are attached to the big side. Now this plate is on I can sort the front mount and finish the front of the Ford. I can also fret out the final shape of the top decking cut out. The front mountings attach through the longeron whereas the rear mounts go to blocks attached to the longeron, so as not to weaken the longeron. Also, what do people think as to airflow through the fuselage? My thinking is that the engine and radiator areas would be blocked off from the cockpit and the flow through the radiator would exit the top deck behind the engine? Does that sound right? The Chilton DW1 (same engine and period) is blocked off so I think its a good bet, be a bit draughty otherwise!!??

Ian.

dscf2496.jpg

dscf2497.jpg

dscf2498.jpg

dscf2499.jpg

dscf2501.jpg

Managed to have a full dinner hour for the Flea engine today :D Got the front end of it sorted, the flanges and gussets plus the circular plug for what presumable allows the sliding in of the camshaft on the full size. This was punched in from the front, then the punch was held in a vice and the 'plug' rounded into it using a small mallet. Front engine mounts are on now too, so I'm nearly in fear of having an assembleable aeroplane. I aint no welder so excuse the beautiful professional welding, but it'll clean up with a die grinder!! :xx
Took a step backwards though and uncovered the rudder, I fear I'd over doped it and the fabric was just too tight for the structure since it had a warp which if I clamped it out would always creep back in, either to the left or right. Once uncovered, it went back to being perfectly straight unaided. The pic shows the uncovered rudder but also the newly fitted and painted 1940's sliding doors on my new workshop which is what the pic was taken for on another thread!

Ian.

dscf2505.jpg

dscf2503.jpg

carden1.jpg

dscf2502.jpg

Cheers Cymaz, its comments that keep up the enthusiasmwinkcheeky

Started bodgeneering the manifold. Its quite a complicated shape and needs to be both unrestrictive and invisible on the model one the engine is in and the side plates fitted or the whole effect will be spoiled. Started with the manifold flange and the first folded plate of the exhaust manifold. This plate makes up the rear face and also the two sides at the engine end. The thing bends round the back of the cylinder before curving up into the exhaust box under the Carden so it canny be seen. It was done this way so the two sides could be trimmed so they leave about 5mm clearance along the inside of the fuselage. This allows a heat shield to be fitted between the two which still allows an air gap. Another folded plate wet on after this which makes an easyish job to make the final two shaped bits to finish it. Then its basically a good clean up with a die grinder and flap wheel to hide my fantastic welding and get it ready for running and eventually painting. I've kind of decided to run it up before finishing it just in case it dunny work!!

Ian

dscf2531.jpg

dscf2538.jpg

dscf2542.jpg

dscf2544.jpg

dscf2553.jpg

I have been doing some research, and there is a matter of some concern related to this project.

Please take note of the picture below. (From World Travel Retail )

Here we have two possible images of the Flea's pilot. The one on the left is historically correct but somehow unappealing. The more modern one, on the right, will be a lot more recognisable to today's people.

Oh - dilemmas.

Plummet

Hi Plummet. I watch Reg's blog in awe and can't say much, it's on a planet that I can't aspire to and fills me with respect.

I think the1937 image is the one that was still around in the fifties? Personally I'd go for that and worry less about what more modern types relate to. Originality is the name of the game, wrinklies rule!

Hi Plummet, Colin is correct, the former Bertie is period to the Flea so is my preferred fella! The body is a bit different to the Bertie on the rudder though, so this is perhaps what Bassets (as was) meant when they said that it was a rare version of Bertie depicted on the rudder?

A bit more schooltime tinkering has been had, but its not achieved a massive amount of progress :embarassed: Finished the welding on the Carden manifold plus remade the aluminium cylinder head. Reasons are twofold. First better quality casting and secondly that the Bassett Flea had a longer expansion tank that overhung the front head profile. This has a pipework fitting that comes down vertically from the underside of it so is quite an obvious feature I'd missed first time round!

Ian.

dscf2610.jpg

dscf2616.jpg

dscf2617.jpg

dscf2618.jpg

dscf2619.jpg

Quite good. Wish I did this at school. Also you know quite a bit of engineering for a School boy. Also have you flown before, or going to get a club member to fly it for you.

There was a flea in the local Ford garage years ago, also with a Ford engine in it. Probably why it was for show. Did take photos of it, and think it was your exact model that was there.

Will try to scan them in, but as I was using a cheap 35mm camera back then, they didn't come out very well.

I found the article here:Will try to get further details from the Congleton Museum on Friday.

http://www.forddealercheshire.co.uk/History/flying-flea.shtml

Edited By Paul Marsh on 19/03/2014 21:02:22

You volunteering then Paul?!!

Forgot to mention the weight of the Carden. As it is now, the Carden weighs in at 2.5kg or a snadgers over 5 1/2 lb so it might still need a bit of noseweight!! The very front of the thing has a cavity around the prop driver that could accept probably 2lb of lead poured in, there isn't a point on the airframe any further forward, apart from the prop and I don't think we are allowed metal props on our toys yet, are we!!??

Ian.

It has to be a school boy error! (sorry I could'nt resist)

I've also got workshop envy after seeing those doors, very nice.

A lot of the full size Fleas ended up with warped rudders, the one at the museum in Manchester had a definate bend in it. Is there any trick to knowing how much tension is needed on the Diatex Ian?

Regards,

Kieran.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 19/03/2014 20:41:33:

Quite good. Wish I did this at school. Also you know quite a bit of engineering for a School boy. Also have you flown before, or going to get a club member to fly it for you.

There was a flea in the local Ford garage years ago, also with a Ford engine in it. Probably why it was for show. Did take photos of it, and think it was your exact model that was there.

Will try to scan them in, but as I was using a cheap 35mm camera back then, they didn't come out very well.

I found the article here:Will try to get further details from the Congleton Museum on Friday.

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Marsh on 19/03/2014 21:02:22

So who is the Flea builder?I have been following this thread with interest, with the talk of school and lunch hours I though at first it was the work of a boarding school boy, then perhaps maybe a "beak", seeing the quality workmanship.I take it reg shaw is an experienced modeller?

It makes no difference who I am,(or indeed what!) its just toy aeroplanes! I work in a school and build the Flea during lunch and break times. Progress is a tad slow at the mo since its final project time and the little blighters need assistance at lunch and break times, the cheek of it!

Ian.

I get it now! Whet to Tony Hill's Model shop and told me what Reg shaw is, it's Ian Redshaw. Suppose I wouldn't know that outside the "circle". I know Ian, but only in a casual sense and now know how "Reg Shaw" came about. Also I had some Java items disabled - to speed up the internet, and hence the avatars were not showing, now it is, being more quieter on the internet now, that last time

Finally got a bit more done, made the pullies for the rudder control cables. 30mm diameter with a deep groove to keep the cable behaving itself. The pullies are held in place using bend wire, one end has a 3mm fixing through the fuselage, tuther is clamped to the fuselage side.

Small progress, but progress none the less!!

Ian.

dscf2644.jpg

dscf2649.jpg