Building Tony's Beaufighter

Hi Robert, I've had a good read through this thread and I agree that this looks like a stunning build. I can't wait to see pictures of it in the air - a most underrated aircraft! I remember building the Airfix version well!

Quick question you might know the answer to. Did any versions of the Beaufighter ever wear invasion stripes while deployed with RAF Fighter Command? Or had they all been transferred to Coastal Command by 1944?

Hi Colin,

It certainly is distinctive and coming along well, now it's down to the finer detailing, fuel proofing and fitting out.

Hi The wright stuff,

I'm afraid that I do not know is my simple answer.

Hi Dave,

Thank's for the photo, I did ponder on invasion strips but decided against them as some recent models of the Beaufighter had appeared in recent months and I like something a little different.

There's no need being jealous, buy the plan and some balsa, not too difficult to build you know.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a quick up date on a little that I have managed to do.

I now have a crew of installed and a bit of cockpit detail, engines and fuel tanks fitted throttle throws checked and working together in harmony, retracts re-installed (the wing is getting heavy now) and all linkages fully working.

dsc00153 (800x533).jpg

cockpit panel. I have left out the section of floor to help position the flight pack in the nose

dsc00154 (800x533).jpg

Pilot finally in place, the cockpit is too open to leave it empty

dsc00155 (800x533).jpg

Navigator / gunner

dsc00156 (800x533).jpg

On order are the decals and the flight battery I've gone for 2no 6 volt packs to help with the retracts as well as a backup battery.

I will finish her soon

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have balanced the beau and had to play about with the position of the battery pack and added 20 grams to the tail. This does not change with the gear raised or lowered and with or without the torpedo as I have mounted it on the C o G point

The battery pack shown on the plans is right behind the nose block, as I have fitted a pair of "46"s instead of the .25's the battery pack is now attached to the bulkhead behind the pilot.

After several tests on the undercarriage operation I am only using one of the 6 volt 2500mAH battery packs and after 20 cycles of the gear the battery pack still has loads of capacity left. Whilst testing all of the channels were plugged in and the sticks waggled to simulate flight conditions. Of course in actual flying, once up and once down per flight is the norm.

I have made some decals and I am still waiting for the main decals to arrive, then I think were done and dusted with the build along with a final photo shoot before flying.

• 3 weeks later...

"V" for Victory,

Finally finished the Beaufighter face 23

Here are the photos and a thank you to Tim from Model Markings who supplied me with the decals after I had been let down from my usual supplier.

dsc09720 (800x533).jpg

dsc09721 (800x533).jpg

Yes I had to add weight to the tail 20g's to balance her

dsc09722 (800x533).jpg

dsc09723 (800x533).jpg

I made the water slide decals

dsc09724 (800x533).jpg

Spring loaded torpedo drop is by servo on 7th channel

dsc09725 (800x533).jpg

dsc09726 (800x533).jpg

dsc09727 (800x533).jpg

dsc09728 (800x533).jpg

dsc09729 (800x533).jpg

dsc09730 (800x533).jpg

dsc09731 (800x533).jpg

Hi all,

Thank's for all of your comments it was a pleasure to build, just wished the weather could have been kinder for a better photo shoot plus I was pushed for time.

Now I can make a start on the Short Stirling today smiley

Once again thank you all for your support and comments for my first build blog.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/11/2014 08:14:57

• 1 year later...

Hi Will,

I haven't flown her yet, for the following reasons

We share our flying field with a football and rugby pitches plus an adjoining trotting / speedway track and we lost a lot of flying time this year to sporting fixtures, in fact this has been the worst year ever for our club and we are trying to find a new field to fry from which has not been easy so far.

When there have been no sporting fixtures the weather has not been very agreeable, plus factor in work and family time, I think I only managed to get to the field about half a dozen times this year which has meant I'm a little rusty on the sticks.

And finally, my building skills are better than my flying skills and I want to get more time flying to improve my skills to a level where I think I could handle her.

Next year, I want to get my "B" cert, once I have done that then I'll go for it.

Regards

Robert

• 1 year later...

p7092436.jpgp7092429.jpgHi Robert, just to give you some encouragement to fly your Beau here's some photos of my Flair Beau. I know how you feel about first flights and varous other things associated with flying but i'm sure yours will just as good if not better than mine to fly. these photos are first flight it was just a great big pussy cat. Beaus look great in the air, especially in attack mode, diving in and flying low and fast across the target. Good luck i'm sure it will fly as good as it looks. Brianp7092422 (3).jpg

Hi Chris,

I like the sound of your own strike wing, the Beaufighter builds great and if she flies as well as my TN Lancaster then I'm in for a treat.

I have not maidened the Beaufighter as yet but I will.

Having said that, I am at the present recovering from an operation to my left shoulder which being left handed has made life a little interesting these past few weeks.For instance, I've had to learn to use a mouse and keyboard with my right hand and by doing so I keep hitting a lot of wrong keys, so a short piece of text can get very frustratingangry to say the least.

And secondly, I'm a bit reluctant to fly her after maidening my 12 year old my TN Lancaster and my own Short Sterling. Both of which I tried to fly back in November and both suffered undercarriage problems, as for the Beaufighter it also has the same own design of leg which bent very easily, the Lancaster came in to the most gentle landing and one of the 4mm piano wire pins between the u/c unit and the 1/2" sq steel bar holding the legs bent back so that was that for the day. Next I tried to maiden the Stirling, she swung towards the pits just after lift off, I cut the power and she rolled into the windsock post again bending the same pin.

dsc00147 (1024x681).jpg

Beaufighter leg and Stirling drawing

dsc09139.jpg

dsc09142.jpg

I have straightened out the leg but not confident about flying her as she is a few pounds heavier than the Lanc

The Lancaster is sorted, I treated myself to a set of Tony's electric retracts for Xmas and will fit them when my recovery allows.

As for the Beaufighter and Stirling, I need to look at trying to strengthen the pin, they are as short as they can go without fowling the retract unit.

Anyone have any thoughts, how to resolve this issue?

One that has crossed my mind is getting hold of a say 9mm bar and turning both ends down to 4mm, which is way beyond my personal capabilities and workshop tools.

I have also incorporated the same design into my present design the FW200 Condor, I'm hoping by the time I get to building it I will have come up with a solution, hopefully.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 27/01/2017 16:48:04