Ripmax ARTF Wots Wot

Hi. With the ever present wind this summer I find my foam and light balsa ply planes being chucked over the sky. Therefore i have decided on a much heavier aircraft and as my Acrowot Foam E is the most frequently flown have decided on a Wots Wot as it's about 7 lb. I purchase It from Germany much cheaper than GB . I am impressed with the build quality and have had no problems so far with the build. Am fitting the Quantum 55 motor . Just need an ESC and Lopo . Fingers crossed for maiden ! Colin

Advert

Posted by Scruffmeister on 30/03/2015 19:27:32:

Has anyone tried replacing the balsa core/metal outer wing tube with something lighter such as carbon tube? Out of the box the wing tube weighs a massive 68g. Since it's located all but on the CG lightening it shouldn't be a big issue for balance so I can only assume this weight penalty is a cost-saving measure.

Bear in mind that the screws that keep the top two wing halves secured together go into this tube, if one of the screws comes loose so do the wings.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Maidened my Wots Wot this morning. Flew right off the board and only needed two clicks of down trim. Must say I am delighted with it .Flew for 7 minutes on a 5s 4000 lipo. Inverted shows its basically in trim but start will get a few more under my belt before I start adjustments. Its got a lovely whistle which can be heard above the motor which I take it is the wings? The Quantum 5055 starts cogging above 80% throttle so timing needs altering. Might get some bigger wheels as take off needed care as it showed a tendency to nose over but very wet grass didn't help.

Colin

Hi. Another update on the Wots performance. Took it out for 2 flights in 15-20 mph winds. Very pleased as it shook off the wind which I would not have flown my other models in. Landing only required keeping a bit of speed on to get it down. Getting 7 minutes on a 14/8 so will prop down a little on a 13/6.5 next. Where`s summer by the way ?

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi . Here`s a pic of mine before its maiden. Because I transport it in bits and assemble at the field I find bolting on the struts a pain. Have made up a 3mm carbon rod with R pins and a rubber grommet to apply sideways pressure. Will try it in the next few days .Anyone any thoughts on this idea ? I presume the forces are vertical not sideways and hope carbon will cope with the load. Cheers Colinimage.jpg

Jon. That`s exactly my plan. One rod made and will test on bottom then top then transfer sides. If I have a Wots Left !( see what I did there) I will make the rest and try one wing with two rods then the lot !! Could always drill through a 3mm shouldered bolt if it seems weak. Got a nut and bolt man in town here. Colin

Hi Colin,
One of our club members uses the supplied bolts with an inch of fuel tube pushed on to stop them vibrating out. He's used this system for ages and never had a problem. When I build my kit version I think I'll do the same. Let us know how you get on with your system.
Cheers
Rob

image.jpgSo having got rid of SWMBO to local fete all day and with it blowing about 10 mph plus gusts tried out the quick strut fixing on the top and bottom points on the port wing. Success !! No sign of any problems although I thought I could hear a bit more whistling from the top point . So it's out to shed for a production line. Pic attatched.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Flying my Wots Wot 2 weeks ago now had app 50 flights fantastic machine no vices until- took of couple of circuits

pulled into loop Laser 70 cut, dead sticked on runway restarted laser adjusted needle [not been touched in 50 flights] took of again exactly the same problem,started laser again held plane vertical & inverted fine,back to runway when i noticed something shimmering in cockpit,only to find it full of fuel,stripped plane everything dripping fuel servos,rx battery pack,only to find tank bung have come out of tank,tank had been assembled & tested under water before instalation as i have done for the 45 yrs of flying.Tank now refitted & sealed round completley with silicone.While flying today my mates Laser 80 powersd Wots Wot that has done app 70 flights done exactley the same thing. SO BE AWARE all we can think is screw vibrated undone as thread had not stripped.

Barry

Edited By barry saint on 25/09/2015 15:43:24

Exactly the same thing happened to my Wots Wot last weekend, also after approx 50 flights. I have an SC70 four stroke in mine. The screw holding the bung in had loosened (I assumed the vibration too) and fuel was pouring out of the bung. Tedious job to dry out everything inside the fuselage. I've got it sitting on the desk next to me waiting to refit the fuel tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi. A semi- pro photographer wanted to come flying with me with his trusty Canon SLR, so we managed a hour this week in sunshine but strong wind. He got about 150 shots and managed 12 very good ones ! He was surprised at how few he got but I wasn't. So here's a couple. Also an update on my quick strut fixings posted earlier. Wonderfully easy and zero problems. Colin

I was flying mine today. I got it at the 2014 Nats and I think I'm right in saying that it has come with me on every single flying trip since then! That must add up to many hundreds of flights now. Lovely model to fly, calm and stable when you want but very agile and well capable of all the main aerobatic manoevres - been an excellent buy.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/03/2016 18:56:37