Westonuk Fuel ?

CARPERFECT

Advert

I have used prosynth 2000 (the blue one) for at least 8 years. Very clean and crisp running, very well priced when you order 4 x gallon cans and it goes in everything from .15 to 1.20 motors (2 and 4 cycle)

If you don't think you would get through 4 gallons, ask at your club and buy a box between a few of you.

highly recommended !

• 3 months later...

Hi. I've just started to use the Viper fuel and it seems to be good. I spoke to Alans' wife about the percentage of oil as I would like to have run an ASP 70 FS but it needs 20% synthetic to stay in warranty. Like you Carperfect she wouldn't divulge the secret mix. I think I'll chat to Just Engines about it tomorrow.

Been running with the Prosynth 10% in my planes for the last month. Dropped the back plate off a couple of motors and everything is spotless. When I asked about oil content, the chap said Prosynth was the one with highest oil content, but I didn't grill him on what was in it. Plenty of oil residue over the model at the end of the session, and motors are running well.

My B25 is running with two ASP52's have been run in on this fuel and I will be sticking with it. Great service on the phone, fuel turned up next day, what more can you ask for.

Cheers,

Simon

Prosynth is good stuff. I've used it in all my engines with no hassle.

Well, there is one exception. I ran some 20% Prosynth 2000 in a helicopter with an O.S. 50. Hyper. I took the head off when suddenly I couldn't turn the thing over. I was quite shocked to see that the top of the piston and the inside of the head were so badly corroded that I couldn't even dismantle it. I'd had no problems running it on 20% cool power before then. That being said, I'd used fuel from that same bottle in other (aeroplane) engines without any issues so I have no idea what happened.

That was about four years ago. But I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Sheldon, could it have been combustion products draining back into the head from the exhaust system? In most models this isn't a problem but if the silencer is above the cylinder then it could be a candidate. I have one model with a tuned exhaust where I've had to revise the way I store it because of corrosive exhaust residue running back into the engine. That effect doesn't care what the fuel was or how much oil was in it.

Why worry about the amount of oil in the fuel, I used liquid gold first then prosynth and in each case oodles of oil on the model, much more than irvine contest 10.

I mentioned the amount of oil on the model to alan at westons, he mentioned something about it not burning off like lesser oils.

I've gone back to using liquid gold 15% not much more than the prosynth 10% and saitos really like it.

BTW westons are the uk supplier of magnum engines, aka sc and asp.........engine warranty might be as valuable as the paper upon which it's written, but I doubt it. By the time you've sent it back and forth in the post you've spent the bulk of the cost of a new asp from hobby king in any event.

I like the OS warranty, I asked Irvine(then the UK distributor) how much was a new liner and piston for an 8 year old OS 10 FP as the plating was peeling, it's FOC except for the postage back to us I was told.

I sent it and an OS 46 FX back and they were back with me inside of a week, sold the fx yonks ago, the os 10 I still have but its 20 odd years old this year........they both ran on weston fuels. I mention this as I can't recall seeing an 8 year old asp in regular use, wink.

FWIW, i have laser, OS, Saito and YS 4 strokes and OS, SC, YS and Irvine 2 strokes and they all run fine on either liquid gold or prosynth they have all also used southern modelcraft Hi-lub 10% nitro as well.

I suffer badly from watering eyes if I use a fuel with castor in hence my preference for all synthetic lub.

HTH.

I tried Prosynth 2000 10% a few years ago. very good BUT my three SC 30 FS engines refused to deliver any power with it, crashed and lost two models.

As soon as I changed they ran perfectly again. Now I use Model Technics Formula Irvive contest (10%) and all my engines tun on that

Our helicopter enthusiast tried the Prosynth 200 10% at the same time. Didn't like it and changed. I think he said it made his engines run hot but it was a long time ago.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/05/2014 08:00:03

Why are Weston so secretive about their fuel's oil content? Seems like a bit of marketing 'hocus-pocus' to me.

Wasn't it Rolls-Royce, who when asked the power of their car's engines would reply sniffily ........"adequate, sir".

Switched to Prosynth 2000 (blue one) from Model technics Duraglow 10 about 2 years ago and find it to be better / more reliable. This was on the recommendation of a very experienced model flyer and tutor and he was spot on

I also like being able to buy four bottles at a time by post...

Jon