omg...

Wiltshire Flyer

Advert

Quote "won't take much to bring that back to flying condition."

Find a length of fishing line or thin string, perhaps 3 or four metres long.

Take a short piece of wood, 4 or five inches long that might be comfortably held in the hand.

Carefully cut a groove around the wood, it need be no more than a mm or so deep. I am sorry about mixing my metric and imperial measurements. Would it help if I said that a mm is about 2 to 3 gnats?

Research the best knot for tying fishing line. I believe that the figure of eight knot is a possibility.

Use the appropriate knot to form a loop in one end of the line.

Pass the loop round the wood. Tighten the loop so that the line lies around the groove in the stick. Pull the line tight so that line is well attached to the wood.

Find a small bead or button.

Attach the other end of the line, in a similar way - I could repeat the instructions but that could be boring. You may need to pass the line through the button/bead before tying the knot around the line.

Make sure that both ends are well attached. If not, rectify.

Hold the wood in one hand with the line emerging from between the fingers.

Pass the button or bead through the handle of the transmitter.

Place the button/bead into the same hand that is gripping the wood. You should be able to contain it between your fingers, but be able to release the grip easily.

Now...

Find an open space. The choice of space is determined by your particular fantasies.

Place the transmitter onto the floor or ground. Walk away from it until the now doubled line is taught. Extend your arm to its full length.

By rotating your body - try using your feet - you should find that you can make the transmitter move on the ground. Do it fast enough and you should find that the transmitter should lift off the floor/ground and spin around you at a distance determined by the length of the line and of your arm.

Your transmitter is now flying, although it is, and this is a technical term, a "control line" transmitter.

In order to improve upon this you should increase your speed of rotation until there is a considerable tension upon the lines in your hand.

Drama!

Carefully separate your fingers so that the button/bead escapes from your fingers.

The transmitter should now fly away from you at a considerable speed. The bead/button should pass freely through the handle, so that at the full length of the line the transmitter achieves "Free Flight".

So far- so good..

Read these instructions aloud. Record the result upon some form of audio recorder.. Purchase a simple two way radio system. ( One way would be adequate, but perhaps more difficult to purchase.)

Playback the recorded instructions in such a way that they can be 'heard' by one radio and received by the other.

Listen to the instructions using the second radio, Obey them. At the point at which the transmitter leaves the lines you have a flying "radio controlled" transmitter.

Does this add to the conversation?

Plummet

Plummet...

A brilliant idea! So much so that I think you should start a build log for it? I'm willing to throw in one of my spare buttons I have, now having joined the "elasticated waste" set.....

One question though? Although I have my BMFA 'A'... your approach does involve certain "aerobatic" manoeuvres which would need the 'B' cert possibly? Sadly making this "transceiver" unsafe for me to fly... crying

I suppose that counts me out of spending £100 quid on such a fine example...

Posted by MattyAndJo on 18/02/2014 21:46:28:

I suppose that counts me out of spending £100 quid on such a fine example...

But you can always submit an offer for it! I was going to offer a pound for it - I know, I know... probably double its true value, but anyway Andrew beat me to it with the generous offer mentioned earlier of £2.50.

I see the seller hasn't responded yet to that offer, so he must be considering it very carefully! Perhaps if that offer is rejected you could try £2.95? I reckon that ought to clinch the deal...wink 2

Incidentally, I see that ebay now flash up a message informing us that "39 are viewing this item per hour" - so clearly it's causing some amusement!

I stand repremanded John. I will have to make strenuous to contain such rash decisions!!

Paul. I know what you mean but my street cred would go up something rotten if I flew that for them!! Sadly having recently put a whole £2.50 at risk, I dare not bid on it. Now I've just had to (reluctantly) join the OAP's I don't think I can fund two rash buys in a day.

Andy.

I have always wanted the plans for a Telemaster 66. I'm biased of course but they're nice trainers when they're restored. Took my A on one. smiley

Not worth £100 though but there are always optimists.

Team Telemaster

Picture below of my Telemaster 66 and Merco 35.

tele 66.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 19/02/2014 06:53:28

Edited By David Davis on 19/02/2014 06:54:08

No need for bad language is there.

The following has nothing to do with aeromodelling, but I left a comment on the YouTube website concerning the role of the Canadian army in the Great War. My point was that the Canadian army was an elite force during the war but that it was too small to have won the war by itself. For some reason this seemed to upset a French Canadian who urged me to "manger donc de la merde." Now I happen to be able to speak and understand French quite well but was intrigued by his reaction so investigated several official Canadian Government websites and found out that although the French Canadians made up 11% of the total population during the Great War, they made up only 4% of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Furthermore, of the first 30,000 men who were sent to France in 1915, over two-thirds of them had been born in the British Isles.

I'm saving that up for when he gets back to me. wink 2

So glad I "don't do e-bay" as could well be tempted...................NOT. I did note the LCD has some figures on it, so not a complete waste wink.

Seriously, the seller has some major cahunas to try and sell that. The scary part is that somebody who does not know anything about RC Flying may buy it and attempt to fly it. Good job I live far enough away not to witness that flight.

Safe landings to all forumites (and to the purchaser of the "thing" in the photos).