What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Advert

Went to stay at my older brother's house last week at Broughton Gifford in Wiltshire. A number of Hercules transport planes flew over as usual, and at very low level two hot air balloons came over the roof top plus the next morning a Paramotor.

As I mentioned a few months back there is a red Hawker Hunter gate guardian not far away off the A 350. I took a few photographs of the plane and discovered it appeared to be owned by a car repair business. There is also a cafe on the site with a sign that reads 'No beer and lousy food'

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/10/2014 22:39:33

• 2 weeks later...

I was flying my Travel Air all on my own on Friday, Naughty I know but still.

I heard a Jet low and behind me so I landed quickly. What I am Fairly sure was a Jet Provost flew past very low and slightly to my left. It circled over the field twice then headed of in the direction of RAF Whyton which is nearby.

I think it mat be based at Duxford but am not sure.

As I said earlier in the thread, we get occasional fly-pasts from an aerobatic single-seater - CAP or similar... I don't know if it's the same one, or perhaps the same pilot, but we often get a roll or a loop as a "hello" and it continues on its way.

Today as I was flying on the Downs something small and powerful flew past heading East - I was flying my own model at the time so didn't get much of a look at it. Twenty minutes or so it reappeared heading back in the direction it had come from. This time the port wing dipped slightly (pilot looking to see if he had any spectators) then a quick waggle of the wings, then smoke on and pulled up into a loop followed by an aerobatic routine for a minute or so. Another waggle of the wings and off he went heading back west.

Brilliant! Our own personal air-show. smile d The plane was a CAP or similar, I've no idea whether the pilot knows one of our club members, or perhaps has some link with aeromodelling. But whoever you are - thanks! thumbs up

• 3 weeks later...

I live next to MOD St Athan (was RAF St Athan once crying) and there is now an historic aircraft company on the base. We get 2 single seat Hunters, a twin seat T bird Hunter, a JP, a pair of Soviet bloc jet trainers possibly Albatrosses and a Harvard all flying over. Brilliant! There are also 2 Pembrokes outside the hangar being restored.

• 5 months later...
Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 14/04/2015 20:04:15:

I think Euro Fighters Typhoon, x2, about 14:50pm today.

Whereabouts are you Mark? Anything to do with this, I wonder? (Quick excerpt from the linked article, "The MoD said the Typhoons, from RAF Lossiemouth, were deployed "after Russian aircraft were identified flying close to UK airspace".)

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/10/2014 22:30:24:

Went to stay at my older brother's house last week at Broughton Gifford in Wiltshire. A number of Hercules transport planes flew over as usual, and at very low level two hot air balloons came over the roof top plus the next morning a Paramotor.

As I mentioned a few months back there is a red Hawker Hunter gate guardian not far away off the A 350. I took a few photographs of the plane and discovered it appeared to be owned by a car repair business. There is also a cafe on the site with a sign that reads 'No beer and lousy food'

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/10/2014 22:39:33

Mike, I'd love to know where that Hunter is, is it near Melksham somewhere?

RR in Devizes

John the two jet streams were over the edge of Leicestershire near the Rutland border, they are just a short dash from any coast. Last week I could hear in the distance lots of 'coal being burnt' ( a jet on full throttle ) and captured these photo's over Rutland Water, two Typhoons tail chasing each other, I've only got the end results the jet streams. 

typhoon tight circles.jpg

two typhoon tight circles .jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 15/04/2015 06:54:29

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 15/04/2015 06:56:00

• 1 month later...

RR,

Just seen your comment on the Red hunter.

The plane is very close to Devises but closer to Melksham and is located to left of the round-about on the A 350 Chippenham road. You need to follow the road for less than 100 yards that leads to Trowbridge and Broughton Gifford, off the round-about.

I gather the Hunter was painted red and numbered the same as Neville Duke's hunter in which he broke the world speed record. The re-painted Hunter was due to fly in it's new colour but severe corrosion was noted in the cockpit area so it did not fly. As I mentioned before my brother who lives at Broughton Gifford worked on Neville Duke's Hunter when it was constructed at Hawker's factory at Kingston. That Hunter is now kept in the museum at Tangmeer as below:

093.jpg