Where to find replacement Exhaust Gaskets

Chris Anthony

Folks,

Where can I get hold of some replacement exhaust gaskets? For an SC52 2s nitro in particular. My LMS doesn't seem to have any.

A more preferable solution would be some gasket paper that I could buy, and cut out my own gaskets from to do the job. Or along these lines, have any of you made your own gaskets that you have found to work well from some random household material, maybe cereal box cardboard or something?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Advert

I've used gasket paper on a couple of my 2s and I don't recall having a problem using it, it can be a bit fiddly trying to get the center cut out with out ripping it, bear in mind I was using a small hammer to tap it out but after a bit of practice I got it in the end. I might have a spare sheet of it kicking about if you would like to give it a try.

Tony

Thanks for the replies chaps. Tony, I couldn't take your own supply of gasket paper mate, but can you remember where you got it from?

I think I'll give the automotive sealant method a go for the short term. Presumably it cleans up alright upon exhaust removal, ready for a clean re-application of new stuff upon replacement, etc..

Cheers,

Chris

It's not a problem Chris I work in a garage so I can always get more if I ever need it just drop me a PM if you want to give it a go and I'll post it to you. I've just had a look in my stock bin and I've got plenty I've got 2 thicknesses so I can send you a bit of each if you wish.

Tony

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 16/05/2014 01:34:32:

You don't need gaskets on the exhaust unless you have bent something. I have been flying two stokes for many years and have never owned an engine which needed exhaust gaskets.

Agree totally, never have used anything, no gasket and def no silicone (since 1972). If the faces are properly aligned there will be no leakage.

Just occasionally minor scraping will be required esp if there has been misshandling before.

I have inherited models where silicone has been used, sometimes copiously, and yet in every case minimal work has meant it can all be removed.

Posted by Peter Miller on 16/05/2014 08:08:57:

When I bother aboiut sealing the exhaust I use silicone sealant. small tubes of bathroom sealant are cheap and work well.

I also use it for sealing the neck of fuel tanks into the hole in the firewall. Holds the tank, stops any fuel getting through and is easy to remove.

Yes, that is something I do and is well worth it. Don't use Aquarium or the "better" ones though as the grip is too good, its an area where cheap is best!

Thanks for the responses all. I'm surprised by how many people don't bother running exhaust gaskets.

I lost my original gaskets when my exhaust screws rattled loose during a flight. Since then, I've used a dab of loctite on the exhaust bolts upon refitting.

I've also been running without a gasket for the last few days. The seal seems to be good enough to passage airflow from the engine through the exhaust to reduce noise. But there are still slight, but definite leaks of unburnt nitro fuel/oil coming through the mating faces, regardless of how tight the bolts are. I had put this down to variations in flatness of either mating face, which I had just come to expect from the manufacture of the parts. I had assumed that the reason for the gaskets was to account for this lack of flatness in most cases. Don't you guys find your engine runs a lot messier without proper sealing here?

Edited By Chris Anthony on 16/05/2014 10:47:27

If the surfaces are good then copier paper is ok. Cut the holes first and trim the outside after. You could of course leave it oversize and trim with a scalpel after bolting it up.

Looks like you have some gasket paper coming but for others information go to a Motor Factors, any that are reasonably switched on still stock it.

Shaunie

If the exhaust does not need coming off that often ( god forbid ), I put a VERY thin layer of epoxy on the mating surfaces....not so much as to get into the threads.

Never let the epoxy go into the threads....crying. Once dried after tightening down it won't move. A light sharp tap is all that is needed to release the two.

Posted by Chris Anthony on 16/05/2014 10:41:53:

Thanks for the responses all. I'm surprised by how many people don't bother running exhaust gaskets.

I lost my original gaskets when my exhaust screws rattled loose during a flight. Since then, I've used a dab of loctite on the exhaust bolts upon refitting.

I've also been running without a gasket for the last few days. The seal seems to be good enough to passage airflow from the engine through the exhaust to reduce noise. But there are still slight, but definite leaks of unburnt nitro fuel/oil coming through the mating faces, regardless of how tight the bolts are. I had put this down to variations in flatness of either mating face, which I had just come to expect from the manufacture of the parts. I had assumed that the reason for the gaskets was to account for this lack of flatness in most cases. Don't you guys find your engine runs a lot messier without proper sealing here?

Edited By Chris Anthony on 16/05/2014 10:47:27

I've never bothered with gaskets and it wouldn't surprise me if settlement in use was the reason your screws loosened in the first place! If the faces are damaged then a good way to restore them is to rub them on fine grit oiled emery cloth or wet and dry paper on a piece of plate glass (an old mirror would be great) using a figure 8 movement. Just be careful to clean any dust away from the exhaust port before reassembling.

I take it we are talking about methanol powered two strokes exhausts .I never use gaskets as they always compress and allow the exhaust to loosen. Silicone always come off or goes soft so a waste of time . I have now used epoxy for years without any problems . A couple of points to remember though. Make sure the joint is a reasonable fit . Make sure that the bolts and threaded part of the silencer and one face of the joint are lightly oiled. and only apply a thin bead around the exhaust port on the clean side of the joint. Clamp up and leave to set . never had one leak of gas or oil . They come apart easily when required ,sometimes the silencer may need a sharp light tap to un-stick the joint. Its not suitable for four strokes as they have much higher temp exhaust and a proper copper washer should be used . Petrol two strokes do need a proper exhaust gasket as they also run at higher temp . The gaskets are usually an alloy with gasket material on both sides. They are very good provided they are re-tightened after a good first run ,preferably when hot .

Interesting debate.....I always fit a gasket between the muffler & the manifold.....I use some high temp gasket material I got as an offcut from a local gasket maker. It's good for 450C so it has no problem with glow exhaust temperatures...or petrol for that matter....

To make them I drew up some templates in Visio & transferred these into Word. When I need a gasket making I simply print the correct size onto a self adhesive label using my printer....stick the label to the gasket material & cut the gasket out with a scalpel & a hole punch (for the mounting holes). It only takes a few minutes....

Very happy to supply the templates (I have OS 25, 32/36, 40-52 & 60/90 sizes) to anyone who sends me a PM....wink 2 In fact I might ask Mr Ashby to make them downloadable from the site if people think they'd be useful....