Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Chris Bott has just been in touch and it appears I managed a close second place in F4B, brilliant result that I am really chuffed about.

Roisin has already said we will be back for next year when asked by Matt Cordwell one of the other competitors

Perhaps I can talk Roisin into entering C/L Flying only

Cheers

Danny

... really a great achievement, Danny. yes cocktail cocktail

I guess we must all be very proud of our forthcoming Fury teacher.

@ Colin > please, get prepared for the bell cranks, adding some 'lightness' anyway.

... and don't forget that the board erasers are lethal weapons in a virtual classroom, even sitting at the back row with a 'Furía Catalan'. Entiendes!

Cheers

Chris

Thanks chaps you are much too kind, I was very nervous tis true....

I do hope Tony wont mind me posting his video of the Chipmunks C/L maiden and my first round flight. This was also only my 3rd control line flight in just under 40 years! So I am really chuffed.

I do have to say a big thank you to Chris Bott for spotting that I had neglected to pass the leadout through the wing tip guide before the maiden. That omission would almost certainly have cost me the model.

The dips and dives you see are caused by me catching the throttle stick while trying to find the flap switch. I adjusted the tension on the throttle stick so that this was less of a problem on subsequent flights.

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/08/2017 23:46:03

Thanks Colin, I was holding my breath the whole time

SW, I am slowly sneaking up on the F4C line, I may indeed have a crack at F4C. I have been musing over the subject aircraft for some time, and it will take a while to draw a plan and research..... so a few more F4B Nationals to go first.

Cheers

Danny

• 8 months later...

Hi Mike, you are more than welcome, it was good fun to do, hopefully the Hawker Fury build in October will be equally enjoyable.

Silver..... the worst paint in the world in my books, shows every inconsistency going....

The silver on my Chippy was RAF15 matt silver from HF (Hobby Flight) I think it was from Kings Lynn models.

The paint went on okay, but a bit bright for my liking. I dulled it down with a satin clearcoat.

I have got some Mick Reeves two pack silver that looks promising and will try that on the Hawker Fury during the winter.

Let us know how you get on?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the quick reply.I agree silver is about the worst colour to apply closely followed by yellow!!

A tin of paint is due here in Mid Wales in the next half hour. Will post update ASAP (technology permitting )

Thanks

Mike

I have recently read that professional auto painters have techniques to cope with metallic paint. They only spray in one direction on any panel, rather than back and forth to ensure the metallic particles settle uniformly.

Also (but this probably only applies to Celly based paint) they give a final coat of slightly thinners rich paint that melts the previous coats slightly and, again, that gives uniformity to the metal particles in the finish.

It's a great theory which I will put to the test soon as I have 3 models awaiting a silver finish.

• 2 years later...

A little addendum to the thread:

The silver that I used on the next model was Klass Kote aluminum, and what a joy it was to paint. So if you still have a silver model to paint give it a go. Expensive but well worth it!

BTW the Chipmunk was F4B National champion in 2019 wooohooo go team Chipmunk.

Cheers

Danny

• 1 year later...

What a great thread. If anyone is still following I am after a scan of the plan, just the nose area (prop washer to F2) with a known measurment on it so I can check printing out at 1:1

I would like to do away with the wooden bearers and use a more modern mount. I find wood bearers always crush after some air time. My idea is to cut the bearers back and make some form of motor box for the Laser 80. I do not need the whole plan as if I can ammend the nose I will buy the planpack etc from Sarik. I have loved flying by BH Chipmunk 64" and I think the Dennis Bryant 68" would be a good way of starting of in scale. I have been a balsa basher for some years, so building from a plan would not be new to me. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1