Something a bit Batty

To many scale projects so figured it was time for a quick build fun model. Always fancied doing something a bit odd so have spent some time sketching out shapes I came up with this for an idea. It started off more sensible but adding the eyes and ears seemed to work and I have even thought of covering the fuz in some of that long fur fabric however I think a paint finish will add just a tad less drag but I do intend to keep the 'Kermit the Frog' type eyes and ears - glow in the dark? well that's the plan too by internally lighting the wing!

s1030029.jpg

Can I get it built in time for Greenacre's? well that's the plan so the build will be a bit retrospective as I need to push on a bit.

The design is just 36inch span but quite wide so the area is not so bad, fully symmetrical section with good sized surfaces for maximum fun factor. Power will be via a 3cell 3000mah lipo and motor will depend on what I have around in the workshop that suits but going slow is not the plan.

Construction is almost completely 6mm and 3mm balsa with just a little ply for motor mount and battery tray. The model features a strong wing design due to its thin section and will have full house controls.

Progress so far not too bad for a couple of days whilst I get stuck into some cockpit detailing on my other project.

s1030030.jpg

Should be fun I hope. Linds

Advert

I guess that comes done to how fast and how aerobatic you want it. Not sure about motor yet but I would like some good vertical performance (multiple vertical twinkle rolls) and the control surfaces should be capable of launching her into some wild gyroscopic manoeuvres I should think. That being said, forward cg, expo and reasonable power restraint should provide general sport model characteristics. I hope the wing design proves to offer reasonable slow speed handling with its profile and plan but the proof will be in the flying? Linds

Some progress made, fuz all now sanded and filled, not too difficult as its is all 6mm balsa flat sheet glued around the formers , gaps filled and sand to shape. I also added the final 3mm ply firewall for the motor mount.

s1030048.jpg

Once all done I then set about covering the tail surfaces with semi opaque solartex and then the wings.

s1030045.jpg

s1030047.jpg

I picked up some glass cloth so I will set about glassing the fuz over the weekend. This will really strengthen up the fuselage and as we will be belly landing it sort of makes sense to use glass epoxy. I will make up the rudder and elevator whilst it dries. With a bit of luck I can then look at getting the radio installed next week and then start thinking about the appropriate colour scheme. Ready for Greenacres - should be. Linds

More like 'Catch the Pigeon' hmm that dives me an idea for the future.

Good day for getting some glass work done, 78 gram glass cloth and epoxy laminating resin, no need for scale precision here just slap it on with an overlap onto the solartex. Tomorrow I will sand back and give it a final coat prior to primer but will also mark and cut out the access hatches in the fuselage.

s1030050.jpg

As planned also made up the elevator and rudder, these are from 2mm sheet centre core with 2mm x 6mm wide laminates to leading edge and 2mm laminates for the ribs and doubles at the edges.

s1030049.jpg

Sand to section and added some 2mm ply for the horns to fix too. Later I will get the surfaces covered in solartex as per the wing.

Linds