Large B-29 Display mishap - USA

Pete B

I'm not usually in favour of posting crash videos as they can give a very distorted view of the safety-consciousness of the overwhelming majority of modellers.

However, this should concentrate the minds of anyone displaying models of any size:

The BMFA guidance states a minimum of 30m separation of the crowd and for models above 7Kg, 50m. It looks to me as if this display was well short on both counts.

One also has to question at what time the decision to abandon a take-off is prudent?

Pete
ps Further video from the other direction here:

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/07/2014 13:07:44

Like a lot of such incidents I think there isn't just one error here - there is a chain of them and each made its own contribution to the result. I read this as:

1. The crowd line is far too close. Error number 1.

2. The model started a (probably torque induced) swing to the left early in the run. Once the left swing was established the take off should have been aborted. It wasn't. Error number 2.

3. The closeness of the crowd on the left, combined with the left swing and that lack of an abort, led to the pilot panicking and pulling the model off far too early. Error number 3.

4 The premature lift-off left the model slow and severely "nose up" that led the left wing stalling - which as the inner wing in a left yaw it was always going to. Not really an error - just the inevitable consequence of the 1-3!

If any one of those elements had been absent he would probably have got away with it. But the fact is they weren't absent and he didn't. Incredibly lucky that no one was injured.

There are a lot of lessons we can all learn from this sort of thing - the most significant two in my opinion probably being

a) that the BMFA's 50m rule is by no means over cautious!

b) Never be too proud to abort a take-off that is not going to plan.

BEB

That is a frightening and shocking video, IMO lessons must be learned and steps taken to make sure that doesn't happen again. I am sure this the Mac Hodges B-29, and it is a regular flyer at shows in the USA? And if it is the one then my understanding was the pilot is very experienced. Could it have been some sort of electrical failure, the motors do not cut at all which implies the failsafes wouldn't function?

Scrub all that I can see full right aileron and full right rudder. The smoke system doesn't seem to be working well from the port engine could that engine be sick?

Just a thought

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/07/2014 16:50:40

Looking at the video and assuming the span of the model at 20ft, I'd say the runway centreline is not more than 60ft or so from the spectator line - let's be generous and say 80ft.

The irresponsibility extends way beyond the pilot's handling of the situation, I'd say....disgust

Pete

The comments on RCGroups are interesting... I quote:

On July 10th at the Warbirds Over Delaware event, Mac Hodges was preparing to take off in his famous B-29 to put on a show for the crowd as he had done hundreds of times. Watch the video below, as the plane powers down the runway it veers off towards the crowd caused by some sort of mechanical failure. The B-29 had too much speed to stop and would not turn away from the crowd so Mac decides to yank it into the air to avoid running right into the crowd of spectators. The plane climbs out, appears to stall and nose dives into the tents behind the flight line.

Luckily most of the people were at the flight line waiting to see the show so the huge B-29 only hit a tent and no one was harmed in the accident. Macs quick thinking surely saved quite a few people from injury. It's also a great reminder to always control the plane. We've seen it before where something unexpected happens and the pilot just freezes not knowing what to do. Good thing Mac knew what to do by getting the plane up and over the crowd. It's better to sacrifice an airplane and avoid injuring others. It's sad to see the B-29 in so many pieces though. It's been a staple at many flying events, but we're hoping we get a see a 5th generation B-29 from Mr. Hodges soon.

It looks a simple case of several pilot errors to me, even the backtrack before take off requires full right rudder to get it to go nearly straight, the fact that you don't see it turn round makes me think some bloke had to run out to turn it round. Pilot error No1 for still taking off, then you can clearly see the port outer aint playing ball, yet he still goes for it for Pilot error No 2, that wing with that much aileron deflection, the port outer wing panel never actually got chance to fly, should've aborted, he didn't and commits Pilot error No3, then he hauls it off anyway, full up elevator all the way for Pilot error No4. You can see the elevator is 'ON' all the way to the ground again! Then the bloke doesn't even throttle back, Pilot error No5. Pilot error No6 will probably be the excuse they come up with as to why it wasn't pilot error.

Ian.

Edited By reg shaw on 11/07/2014 17:25:51

on arrival to the show, could the pilot just not say

"the spectator line is to close to the runway, i can't fly here!" but he didn't.

He made a judgment call to except the conditions and layout and committed to fly. he didn't have to.

The organisers could have had a spectator line 5 metres from the runway, if no one flys theres no problem, its up to the pilot to except the responsibility.

surely it says this in some handbook somewhere?

A staggering level of self-denial in that post, Danny. No matter how much they try to whitewash this, it was wrong on so many levels.

I see on the other RCG thread that an AMA VP has apparently been circulating members, asking them to post good/reasonable comments on the FAA site..... I'd say that when you realise you're in a hole, stop digging! disgust

Pete

Posted for the right reasons, well done.

I usually watch these 'rc disaster' clips and wince when the model goes in. But this one? a real sharp intake of breath. And if that happened here? The BMFA, LMA etc would be all over it and rightly so.

I won't add to what has been said - it's all valid - but the crowd was too close.

If its true that an AMA's VP is encouraging people to make positive posts on the FAA website, then I think he has completely "lost it"!

This was very bad incident, in which only by the grace of God no one was injured, that was I believe completely avoidable by the simple application of standard safe operating procedures and reasonable airmanship. What does he do? Go into 100% denial and attempt some sort of crass whitewash!

Now suppose you are the FAA - would sort of impression about the model community's responsible behaviour and commitment to safe practice does that give you? Not a very reassuring one right? I mean the guy is a VP of the AMA for heavens sake!

With friends like that we don't need enemies!

BEB

I think the short crowdline distance thing in this case is a good thing. If the exact thing had happened at a UK show it might have been into the crowd and not behind it. I'm not buying the reason that something mechanically went wrong. If something did, then it was before the no going back point. There wasn't a radio problem as the inputs that are visible are the right ones, just way too much and heavy handed. That model crashed because the massive down going aileron movement on the port wing stalled that portion of the span which causes the roll. The 'panic pull' elevator compounds the issue. The port outer not giving its all wouldn't help, but it certainly shouldn't cause a crash. The model is normally way overpowered and would probably safely take off on 2, never mind 3. I know it sounds a bit harsh, but it smacks of dumass flying, no matter how much 'experience' you have.

Ian.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 11/07/2014 17:53:05:

A staggering level of self-denial in that post, Danny. No matter how much they try to whitewash this, it was wrong on so many levels.

I see on the other RCG thread that an AMA VP has apparently been circulating members, asking them to post good/reasonable comments on the FAA site..... I'd say that when you realise you're in a hole, stop digging! disgust

Pete

There will no doubt be very serious repercussions.....

although its in america, so.....

Posted by cymaz on 11/07/2014 19:20:10:

Watching that video, if you look at the port outer engine it doesn't seem to be running as fast as the others. Anyone else see this?

This video shows that he has independent throttles - and he uses that as part of the show (skip to 2:24)
Maybe a tx mix problem?

Quite amazing!

The #1 engine, port outer, does look as though it is under performing as the take off run approaches the camera man (prop looks slow(er)).

This maybe video frames per second; however, it would support a swing to port as power is applied and the #3 & 4 engines (starboard) produce maximum RPM and swing the a/c! This continued into flight as the a/c rotated to port once airborne possibly as a result of more power coming from the starboard engines...

I am sure there a many factors here, thankfully no one was hurt. Electing to take the the a/c into the air was the wrong decision; upon noting the swing as power was applied the take off roll should have been aborted and situation checked. An awareness of the crowd (their safety)/field restrictions should have driven this decision alone.

These guys should really expect a call from the FAA, especially now with this all over the WWW. Not the place for an enquiry. AMA could do with taking it down until all investigations are completed, if only to prevent the media from having a field day once it is picked up and getting it all out of proportion..

The second video above reminds me of my view point at the Cosford LMA show some years back when the large hunter performed a poor take off or was under powered..

I had an extremely good view of the screws and fixings of the nose oleo/wheel.. Extremely close. sad

Edited By Area 51 on 11/07/2014 20:30:22

I have looked at the video quite carefully and it appears to me that there were problems with both port engines from the moment that the throttle was opened. It has been pointed out that this is a veteran of model airshows. Was it a case of complacency ? From my point of view as someone with very limited (and I mean that) experience, It would seem that the aircraft didn't behave as normal and the pilot didn't know what to do apart from pull all the levers and hope for the best !

Sorry Kingkade, but due to this wonderful world wide web, it doesn't matter where it happens. The knock on effect has repercussions for all of us. Maybe it's time that national bodies got together to put some sort of minimum international safety rules together. Particularly regarding proximity of spectators and flying.

Edited By kevin b on 11/07/2014 20:31:16

Posted by Phil Green on 11/07/2014 20:22:05:

Watching that video, if you look at the port outer engine it doesn't seem to be running as fast as the others. Anyone else see this?

SPOTTED ~ CHECK!

You can be my wingman, any time....yes

Yes, that was my first impression on watching the video. Now I know the "wagon-wheel" effect can make things like this very deceptive on video. However looking at individual frames appears to confirm that the port outer is running much slower than the other engines.

On the other engines the props are blurred and appear just as a disc. On the port outer however, the blur is much less - that prop is rotating at a much slower speed.

b29.jpg

There also appeared to be a lot of exhaust smoke from the starboard engine(s), but not from the port ones.