Have a Rant

john stones 1 - Moderator

one from this afternoon - the driver who cruises up to the back of the traffic light queue and stops three or more car lengths back, then when you stop and put the handbrake on they pull forward onto the bumper of the car in front.

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST STOP THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Oh yes, mainly a winter one this - people who sit at traffic lights with a foot on the brake. You have a handbrake for a reason, and it's not to hang your handbag on. I do not want to sit for five minutes staring at your high intensity high-level brake lights. I have already seen them when you stopped thanks, just now I'd rather keep some night vision.

Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 24/08/2014 16:36:04:

National speed limit signs . You know the one's that are circular and white with a black diagonal stripe .Nobody seems to under stand what they are for , for different types of roads .They should be abolished and the actual speed limit that is to apply used instead .

The national speed limit is different for different classes of vehicle ... therefore you can't place signs with 'actual' speeds .... it is up to the driver to know which class of vehicle they are driving and therefore what is the appropriate limit ... 

Edited By avtur on 24/08/2014 19:11:14

I can only agree with the majority of posts on here but, having just attended Barkston, I would like to add - ignorant people who stand gossiping in groups at the entrance to traders' stands so that you have to struggle to get in and out and when you have to push your way through they look at you as though they have every right to carry on with their stupid behaviour. Just one more - drivers who sit nose to tail behind a heavy goods vehicle doing about 40mph on a single carriageway road and even when there are enormous gaps in oncoming traffic they haven't got the brains/driving skill to overtake or, at least, leave some gaps so that the more skilfull drivers have some chance of overtaking but, I suppose, we could rant until doomsday about this. Only one more - lack of signals and unnecessary signals, eg. signalling left after overtaking - where else can you go except regain the nearside lane - lorry drivers only do this as a 'thank you' when the lorry they have overtaken flashes to show that it is clear to pull in.

Rant over - for now.

D.

Posted by Derek Bradley on 24/08/2014 19:27:29:

Just one more - drivers who sit nose to tail behind a heavy goods vehicle doing about 40mph on a single carriageway road and even when there are enormous gaps in oncoming traffic they haven't got the brains/driving skill to overtake or, at least, leave some gaps so that the more skilfull drivers have some chance of overtaking

I can’t remember the date but at least the HGV limit is being raised to 50mph on single carriage way roads. As for the problems caused by 'less skilful' drivers, it is a big frustration ... but I'd rather have that less skilful driver travelling too slow than trying to carry out a manoeuvre they don't have the skill and experience to deal with.

A driver who would like to call themselves both 'skilful and experienced' will also have the patience to deal with those less gifted than then themselves.

Posted by Derek Bradley on 24/08/2014 19:27:29:

I can only agree with the majority of posts on here but, having just attended Barkston, I would like to add - ignorant people who stand gossiping in groups at the entrance to traders' stands so that you have to struggle to get in and out and when you have to push your way through they look at you as though they have every right to carry on with their stupid behaviour.

D.

+1

people who try and push in, in front of you when you are being served by staff, or hold up an item as if doing so would get them served instantly, no... I am being served first...wait your turn....! This happened 4 times in the trade area today!!

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 24/08/2014 20:59:19:

People who come into the model shop and ask if they can have a discount. Why? It's a shop, the price is there in front of you. It's been set for a reason. Pay it. Just try asking for a discount on your weekly shop in Tesco's or in any other shop you ever go into and see how far you get. Jerks.

I don't believe it is quite so simple, in Tesco (or other big stores) there are many ways to get discounts using the the various loyalty schemes, all result in paying less than the sticker price.

There are a multitude of consumer groups who advocate 'bartering' and like it or not this is often a method that works. While this is not the 'typical english' way of doing things it does often works especially in smaller independent stores where you may well be dealing with the business owner; who can actually make a decision about the price you pay.

If you don't ask you don't get. The chances are that the mark-up in a small independent business are greater than in larger retail 'chain' businesses and they can chose to reduce margin in order to secure a sale ... if they want to.

Also, lets talk about a high ticket price item like car ... the price you pay is ALL about negotiation.

I find 'jerks' comment slightly offensive.

Posted by Nigel Day on 24/08/2014 17:37:03:You can add people that drive for 10 miles at 40mph in a 50/60 zone without letting you past. They never seem to see (or care about?) the tailback that builds up.

I encountered this one on Friday, 1/2 mile of clear road on the opposite lane so I indicated then pulled out and as I was almost level with the car in front she pulled across the white lines forcing me to stand on the brakes; it was deliberate, I saw her looking in the mirror when she did it.

Articles on full sized plane theory (called RC theory!! where's any reference to rc in the article?!!), in a modelling magazine. If I wanted to read about full size planes I would buy a different magazine - are you that desperate for ideas?

Actually, my main gripe is with technology and reliability. There is no excuse in this day and age for any products, from motor vehicles, to mobile phones, to laptops, to fridges, to not be reliable. And mobile phones, we are bombarded with the latest £500 phones with all the bells and whistles, and yet there are parts of the UK where you still cannot get a signal - there's no excuse for that.

Live and let live.

Rich

Posted by avtur on 24/08/2014 21:20:16:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 24/08/2014 20:59:19:

People who come into the model shop and ask if they can have a discount. Why? It's a shop, the price is there in front of you. It's been set for a reason. Pay it. Just try asking for a discount on your weekly shop in Tesco's or in any other shop you ever go into and see how far you get. Jerks.

"I don't believe it is quite so simple, in Tesco (or other big stores) there are many ways to get discounts using the the various loyalty schemes, all result in paying less than the sticker price."

Not the same thing at all. These do not involve going up to the counter and actually asking for a discount, e.g "for cash" or "because I'm a regular." The stores issue these as loss-leaders expecting them to be used, especially as they have the economic muscle to buy big and sell cheap - just look at how the big chains are screwing dairy farmers over.

"There are a multitude of consumer groups who advocate 'bartering' and like it or not this is often a method that works. While this is not the 'typical english' way of doing things it does often works especially in smaller independent stores where you may well be dealing with the business owner; who can actually make a decision about the price you pay."

True, but so what? I refer you to my previous post in which I said that the prices are set the way they are for a reason and I dislike people asking for a discount.

"If you don't ask you don't get. The chances are that the mark-up in a small independent business are greater than in larger retail 'chain' businesses and they can chose to reduce margin in order to secure a sale ... if they want to."

This is conjecture, not argument. Also, you're wrong.

"Also, lets talk about a high ticket price item like car ... the price you pay is ALL about negotiation."

Again, not the same argument at all, but I would love to see you expand on your assertion. There is a difference between a car (new or second hand) and modelling supplies, even for a £915 Phantom when there is VERY little wiggle room for the seller, even more so when everyone is selling them at virtually the same price.

"I find 'jerks' comment slightly offensive."

It's meant to be. This is a rant thread. I am ranting.

Gents, we've had four pages of good-natured whinging so far, with everyone allowing others the courtesy of sounding off about their particular gripes.

Picking apart other folk's rants is only going to end in an argument and we know what will happen then - so please play nicely....smile

Pete

ps I'm curious, LHF. Do you really call your customers 'jerks' to their face if they have the temerity to ask for a discount? If not, then it's probably inappropriate here....wink 2

Of course not! I am an angry hypocrite who is easily annoyed by the everyday idiocies and unthinking knee-jerk (ha!) reactions, the ill-thought out arguments and pointless selfishness in the world. I am not insane!

I do, however, stand by all I have said, because I'm stubborn like that. I have also told jerks to get out of the shop... There is only so much crap anybody can take in retail.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 26/08/2014 00:31:26

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 26/08/2014 00:34:52

Posted by FastFlyer Smyth on 26/08/2014 01:21:17:

Oh no, lets keep it funny, don't lets get this one shut down.

Back on topic !

People who call my dog from their 3rd floor flat then don't come down to say hello to her !!

Many years ago, about 60, my mother owned Greenland Huskies. NOw she was a rather small lady and huskies are very powerful. The dog was called Snookum, named after a famous lead dog from husky history.

In the village were we lived at the time there was a young girl, about 13 or 14, who thought it was great fun to call out to Snookum who was very friendly. She would laugh herself sick to see my mother struggling to hold the dog back.

One day my mother got fed up with this so she said "OK, you want him, you have him " and went straight across the road to the girl.

Snookum put his paws on the girls shoulder and kissed her and kissed her and nibbled her hair. All the time she was screaming "Get him off, get him off"

My mother dragged him away and said quite happily. "Any time you want to talk to him, just call out."

Never had any more trouble with her.

Posted by Glyn R on 23/08/2014 22:32:57:

The mutilation of the English language by people who should know better.

e.g. "I was sat." What happened to the word sitting. teeth

The American habit of missing out 'and' is creeping in everywhere.

e.g Go compare (go and compare)

Let's go do it (go and do it)

Also the tendency to use  'solution' instead of service, just management speak really, but gaining wider ground.

i.e some I've seen recently.........care home solutions..........financial solutions...........credit solutions........recruitment solutions.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/08/2014 09:51:16