MFA and Precedent kits of the 80'' & 90's

I had a Yamamoto and still have my original Mascot. However, I've got a brand new of each still in their boxes to build, along with a new Rapier and Extra Slim and Twin.

Going to build the trainers as the photo below. The old Mascot is still flyable, but very tatty and fuel-soaked. Will put the same type of engines in them, A OS35FP in the Yama and OS40FP in the Mascot, as I have over a couple dozen of these sitting on the shelf, although the orig. Mascot has still the same engine after 1000's of flights old.

yamamoto.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to my little adventure....

I've been in contact with MFA...a few emails back and forth etc, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

SLEC only produce the Stampe, Funfly and T240.....so I'm still on the trail of the rights for the rest of the precedent range... I'm currently awaiting a response from Ripmax to see if they can help me....

I have also managed to get my hands on a NIB Bi-Fly 40 and 1/4 Scale Aeronca Champ kits

The search continues.....

Slec produced the HiBoy and many of those kits and sold them at shows etc. Then Slec became Balsacraft International and then merged with Ripmax and I think they 'demerged' from Ripmax some time after the main Slec man died It must be Ripmax or Balsacraft who own the rights if it's not the current Slec firm. Some of the designs were by Dave Milbourne so maybe he has the rights. Until recently all this was on the SLEC website showing the history back to Sun Lane Engineering Co.

You will probably wait forever if you want a new kit! I dont think there was a plan for the HiBoy so you need an old kit or maybe get a foam wing & an old model to copy. There is a plan for a Fly Boy on Outerzone I think.

Plenty of other old designs where the plan is available still. Check out the DB Sport and Scale website for DB Mascot kit or Tyro Major plan & wing ribs and much more. . Maybe the DB Skyrider is a bit nearer a HiBoy and that seems a bargain at 19.50 pounds for set of ribs and a plan.

Edited By kc on 12/11/2014 17:59:14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Cian,

I realise that this thread is nearly 18 months old, did you get any further with your investigations? I ask because I had a T180 as my first built model, finished it, never flew it and then promptly sold it (numpty!). Regretted it ever since and always keep an eye on the fleabay for used examples which rarely, if ever come up so would love to build another.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bargain for any the BiFly 40 fans near Colchester (a started kit):

**LINK**

I bought a Hi Boy some years ago which had been built without the any trimming. The joints between the fuselage parts all had 1/8" gaps at the joins. Fortunately it had been built with PVA glue, so I just left it in the bath overnight and had a kit againin the morning! A bit of scraping the glue off was all that was required, plus a new set of engine bearers (which Precedent were happy to sell as spare parts) as the originals had been so chewed up by drilling and unsuitable screws to render the unusable. I really enjoyed rebuilding it properly.

I bought a used HiBoy which had been converted to tailwheel undecarriage and had an OS 40FSR fitted. I really loved that model. It had wonderful ground handling thanks to the steerable tailwheel, and so much power. Unfortunately a flat battery killed it when it went in from some height. I still have the battered wings and rear fuselage, so it might just get resurrected one day.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mk1 Yamamoto was a great flyer/trainer. The Mk2 is a different case. It's a good looking model with a well finished glass fuz . The trouble with it is the back end is far too heavy. I had one as a second model . I had a lead ingot in the front to get the CG correct. It flew but was just too heavy and consequently had to fly very fast. I tried replacing the slab tail plane with a lighter built up one and cut the glass tailfin off and replaced that with a built up one . It was a lot lighter and flew better but not as well as the Mk 1. Would I recommend the Most 2 ...............No.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Lots of Happy memories. I found a Hiboy Turbo kit after a long search and many wanted Ads. I am recreating my first ever RC aircraft I had im even putting it on 35 MHZ all new old stock radio Futaba Skysport 6A and a new OS LA 46. It has been a very nostalgic build so far. 

dbf3a346-4a35-4771-a5f8-25cb44028296.jpeg

ba804d80-f792-4b4d-b75c-c368b3bc3742.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1884.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1901.jpeg

IMG_1957.jpeg

IMG_2003.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Chrissz,

The spring on the nose leg will be much more effective if it's up just underneath the Fuz. Right down there, there will be a tendency for the leg to bend on a heavy landing.

If you look closely at the picture on the box you will see what I mean.

Correct......a common mistake - does seem counter intuitive to put the coil where Andy says but the box illustration is dead right. The only thing I'd add is to suggest putting a pad of 1/8 or 1/4 hard ply between the top of the coil and the underside of the fuselage. About an inch square or maybe a tad bigger with a notch to fit the wire leg and centre its position a bit  to spread the load of the coil, as without it, it the coil tends to bend back and dig into the soft fuz underside.

Nose legs do take a terrible battering and once a bit of play in the fixing develops, the effectiveness of the coil spring becomes much reduced. Not too hard a tyre is a good idea as well. Some of the wheels in the old kits were as hard as iron.

Edited by Cuban8

Chrissz. I'm pig-sick jealous of your Turbo. My mate and I had them in the late '90s and had many hours of fun with them flying from pristine RAF runways. I have an unstarted Precedent FunFly which should also be a nostalgic build...when I get round to it. I hope you get a similar amount of fun. And the Sky sport 6 keeping it all nice and simple (we were on Challengers at the time).

Edited by Ian Dewar 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2024 at 00:18, Andy Stephenson said:

Chrissz,

The spring on the nose leg will be much more effective if it's up just underneath the Fuz. Right down there, there will be a tendency for the leg to bend on a heavy landing.

If you look closely at the picture on the box you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the heads up on the nose leg it was only placed on for the picture. It is in the correct place. Maiden flight was last Sunday flys great 👍 had 12 flights on Sunday. Love it

• Like 2