ARROGANCE PLUS MONEY

Advert

It's just a bit of fun really. As long as you don't mind losing the plane I don't think it's any different from slope combat really.

Obviously if they were flying into the crowd it would be different but the Americans like their fun a bit more extreme and throw away than we do.

To be honest, I've seen worse. A couple of brain-dead Yanks shooting an r/c heli down with a machine-gun for instance. At least with the spud gun you've got a good chance of missing!

An HobbyKing seem to have the attitude that all publicity is good for them - they got slated by many for their "promotion" in a video of the B29 model crash in America a few months ago.

Yep...only in Americanyoubethatstupidyesyoucan.

Oh dear , the second amendment and the right to bear arms as a militia and for protection. Those plane must be flown by terrorists.

Edited By cymaz on 19/10/2014 11:57:46

Edited By cymaz on 19/10/2014 12:01:25

Edited By cymaz on 19/10/2014 12:16:21

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/10/2014 09:55:35:

Correct me if I am wrong but some years ago there was a company in this country that actually laid on shooting at Correx models with shotguns..

Aerial Target Systems - and their operation was all perfectly legal and above board, as far as I can see.

Posted by leccyflyer on 19/10/2014 12:56:24:
Posted by Peter Miller on 19/10/2014 09:55:35:

Correct me if I am wrong but some years ago there was a company in this country that actually laid on shooting at Correx models with shotguns..

Aerial Target Systems - and their operation was all perfectly legal and above board, as far as I can see.

Legal......maybe! Common sense........doubtful!

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/10/2014 13:08:40:

With respect leccyflyer, I guess that's down to how good you're eyesight is then........

Perhaps that company operated without any sort of insurance cover and hadn't studied the ANO? It certainly isn't legal in any way shape or form to shoot at a model aircraft with a shotgun........

The ANO specifically states that you must not put people or property at risk. And as I pointed out earlier, it is illegal to stage a deliberate crash.........

Yeah, IIRC you've mentioned that previously on other forums under your various different identities. Nevertheless it's a matter of fact that Aerial Target Systems operated legally for some time and, again IIRC were advertisers in RCM&E and the subject of an article describing their operation.

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/10/2014 13:11:57:

And as for the "it's only a foamy" comment regarding the model which almost hit the cameraman. May I refer you to what was one of the largest claims made on our BMFA insurance some time ago. It came about as the result of an accident with a small chuck glider, and the claim, once settled, ran into millions.........

OK, perhaps my wording was a bit too subtle! I certainly wasn't defending them, but saying that some people will argue it's only a foamie (hence my quotes around only!) As you rightly point out, any size of model is capable of causing damage - and the chuck glider claim is well-known.

As for ATS operating legally or otherwise... I have no idea whether or not their operations were legal or not. However the fact that they operated for several years, advertised in RCM&E and were the feature of an article does not necessarily mean that they operated entirely within the law.