Flying towards youself

Keith Evans 3

Advert

Before flying planks I learnt to fly on helis, where using the rudder is compulsory all the time. My method of learning to fly towards myself was simply to imagine myself sitting in the pilots seat, and after a while it became second nature to coordinate all the controls. I still find myself using this analogy, although its pretty much subconscious now.

Upside down coming towards myself still makes my heart beat like crazy. The prop it up still works for the ailerons, but now the nose follows the rudder stick, not the tail.

I'm not sure how imagining myself in the aircraft can be done. It's easier said than done, surely. I could imagine myself doing lots of things but it wouldn't make them any easier.

These days, I think just resorting to the sim is the best bet, and doing it over and over again until you stop crashing. It's like riding a bike. We could spend all day talking about the theory and suitable analogies, but the only way to get it into the subconscious is to practice it...

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 24/10/2014 16:59:01:

Just think to yourself "left, NO the other left..............."

You may laugh - but I have had actual experience of that! I was instructing a chap, he had only just started learning, so very early days for him. We were just trying to fly and do the turns etc. We get to the end of a run - he's a bit "all over the place" more or less in the middle of the field width. So I say "Turn right".....he starts going left. So I say, "No right".....he turns tighter left. I take control as he is now heading towards the flight line. Sort it out, bring it round and say "Now turn left".....he goes right! And then,....honestly...I found myself saying "No, the other left"!

BEB

I always ask my wife "which left" when she attempts to give me directions - 50% of the time it is the "other left"...

The real answer Keith, is plenty of practice. Like most people, I struggled at first, being advised to prop the wing up (which works well) until at some point it "clicked". I realised that I was thinking from the point of view of the model - which is what those advising imagining yourself in the cockpit are saying in another way.

This was brought home to me one afternoon while perusing a pair of telephone operators returning to the exchange after lunch. As you do, I was discussing the relative merits of their general demeanour with a non-aeromodelling colleague and expressed my preference for the one on the right - at which point my sanity was raucously questioned - and I realised that I was referring to the one on their right i.e. I was thinking about them from their point of view!

Oh, and P.S. well done for being aware of your rudder - unlike so many model flyers who only use their rudders while taxying or during the occasional stall turn!

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/10/2014 19:36:15

One thing I forgot to mention is that I suffer from a form of direction dyslexia .

Left and right mean nothing to me .Passing my driving test was a nightmare , the concentration immense and I needed an aid to help me .No it wasn't another person in the car with me .

The system that woks for me is MY WAY YOUR WAY

I informed my instructor when learning to fly and this worked out well for both of us .

If you are a fellow sufferer then tell your instructor ,it is not a mark of shame just plain common sense .You are not alone .

If you are an instructor an having a pupil who is having direction awareness problems then this may be the answer .

Posted by Chuck Plains on 24/10/2014 20:12:41:
I sort of observe and react, then react the other way if it's wrong and there's room/time.

Back in the day of rudder-only single-channel flying with a sequential escapement, this is exactly what you did.
Press & watch, if its wrong, release & press again! (Quickly!)

Remember this Mantra " Aim at the ground and miss grass hopper" and all you flying will be fine laugh. It also helps repeating the said Mantra when picking up all of the wreckage sad. Have fun practicing and whatever method you choose if its legal, safe and works for you then its fine .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 25/10/2014 10:35:32

Dear Keith, in my club,some members ,are all less experienced, they have a similar problem.
My sincere advice is to use the simulator as much as possible. After a few hours of training, you're going to fly in all directions without any special considerations.

Cheers

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 25/10/2014 12:42:19

Here's a funny thing. I usually have no problem whatsoever with left and right.

However, when renting cars for business trips in the US, although I generally have no trouble adapting to driving on the right, when following directions over there, I get left and right muddled up. It must be something to do with my brain referencing 'left' and 'right' relative to the side of the road I am driving on. My brain says something like "if I need to cross oncoming traffic when turning off a road, that direction must be right", which, of course, in the US, is left!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this...

Cheers, TWS.

• 3 years later...

I'd suggest that whenever you use aileron to 'prop up the wing', use a little rudder in the same direction. Always left aileron with left rudder, right aileron with right rudder , since the aircraft doesn't care which way it is facing.

The only times to use rudder independently of aileron are when sideslipping, doing certain aerobatics or when taxying.

For landing, no matter whether from the right or the left

That moment when you feel all is level, and the speed has fallen off, but the model is drifting slightly, taking line towards you and the pilots box occupants

Just move the rudder stick gently towards the models incoming direction

And the model will take a new landing line safely away from you

For some years I rarely used the rudder. It was for use on the ground (taxiing or take off) or, in the air for stall turns. Then I started flying small indoor helis during the winter - just simple, cheap as chips, V911s and learned to use my left hand to steer them. I now practice head in hovering (I still can't fly 'proper' helis and have no real interest in them). It's helped my fixed wing flying no end.

Somehow, I'm able to fly straight towards myself without any thought of putting the aileron stick under the wing. I think, with practice, it just happens, though using the rudder is still a bit less automatic but it's getting better, which is just as well as I like biplanes.

Geoff