Jet deadstick crash...lessons to learn?

Dom (Essential RC)

Despite having a lot of experience it's very easy to make bad sub-second decisions under pressure whatever model you are flying. This vid is worth sharing because it's easy to spot what could have been done better in this extreme situation. For me...it's these...

1. Full power test the model while it is safely restrained to ensure it DOES actually reach full power.

2. If no power and flying downwind do NOT turn into wind. The risk of killing airspeed and stalling will be high. It's hard to overcome the instinct to turn but much better to continue gliding and set the model down even if far in the distance.

3. If no power and flying over rough grass (as in this scenario) a gear up, belly landing is probably better. Ripping out retracts can cause much more damage.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC on YouTube and Facebook) on 01/01/2015 09:05:40

Advert

Posted by SR 71 on 01/01/2015 09:25:02:

He treid to bank it to tight and stalled it , easy to be wise after the event, ask me how i know, mine was a total jet loss, everything consumed in the fire crying

Indeed. Easy to be wise after the event. I think the ONLY way of a good outcome is to be planning for the possibility of it happening. When I fly my jets I am thinking fairly frequently...what if I had a flameout here or there on the circuit. I'll be more mindful on take off now.

Posted by bert baker on 01/01/2015 09:58:42:

If you were there filming it why did you not ask the chap what happened.

If you crashed your most valuable model Bert...would you want me in your face straight afterwards asking loads of questions?!

I do happen to know the pilot and he volunteered some info but I didn't feel inclined to grill him. thinking

Seems to me that only drastically wrong things the pilot did was the bad preparation and taking off at all! The turbine was never giving its all, you can hear that from the outset, unless the take off was supposed to be a half throttle, long run affair. He then retracts the gear, apart from it doesn't. The model then staggers around the sky nose high, on the stall. It has a couple of little bites throughout that short flight so its no wonder it gives up flying in the final tight banked approach. Such a shame as the model is quite badly damaged apparently. I disagree with point 2 though Dom. In some circumstances you have no option but to go straight on downwind, but I'd never rule out getting into wind if it is still a viable option.

Ian.

I agree with Ian, Dom. If you don't have enough height to make the gliding turn into wind then you have no choice but to carry on downwind with a high groundspeed. If you have the height and the position, turning and landing into wind will allways be the best choice. It does not 'kill the airspeed' - the aircraft is flying in a block of air that could be moving in any direction relative to the ground. The airspeed doesn't change, only the groundspeed. What happens with model flying is that the pilot is in a fixed position on the ground and that makes it difficult to judge the airspeed correctly. It's trying to stretch the glide that causes the loss of airspeed and stall.

If I'm flying full size and turn into wind my airspeed stays the same, but my groundspeed may change a lot. Full size you can lose 100ft or more for each 90deg of turn in the glide, so if you have the height you get positioned into wind early. It's a lot easier to lose more height with 'S' turns or sideslips than it is to gain height with no engine. If you don't have the height though you just have to pick the best looking field ahead.

Posted by Dom (Essential RC on YouTube and Facebook) on 01/01/2015 09:03:44:

2. If no power and flying downwind do NOT turn into wind. The risk of killing airspeed and stalling will be high. It's hard to overcome the instinct to turn but much better to continue gliding and set the model down even if far in the distance.

That's what you typed Dom - no mention of height. The turn itself will not kill airspeed but, as you may have meant, the ground-based pilot's actions based on his perception of airspeed may well do.

Such a shame to see this, but those Futuras look pretty tough, I hope it flies again. I'm sure I've seen another video of the same model tip stalling after a tight turn on approach after a flame out. I think that was on grass and he got away with it that time. Another metre or so and it would have just come down with a bump....very unlucky.

Simon

Hi guys let me tell you how it all went wrong for me at Classic Jets 61.

The problem really started a year ago when I accepted a RX180 in exchange for a RX100 that had failed many times before I decided to send it back for the 4th time and tell Jet Cat I don't want it back. That story is for another post.

So my first time at Classic jets, in the queue awaiting my turn, did the fail safe test and checked the newly installed just back from Jet Cat 180 for the second time engine was responding to throttle as expected and all was good. Although I did not test for full throttle (My first mistake). Taxi out, line up call for full throttle, all seamed normal on the day but does look slow in the video. Rotated, lift off, gear up switch, was expecting to raw off as usual but noticed very quickly lack of power. Decided to do a low circuit and land immediately on the limited power I had at my disposal, gear switch back down, just so you know the gear on this plane is slow at best and sometimes needs a roll to put it away.

3/4 around the circuit flame out, this is where I could of saved her, just gone down wind (Very little wind either way) and put it in the grass safely. Still turning realising I would not make it back to the tarmac, gear switch back up, still turning into wind, not enough speed or height for that turn, tip stall, nose plant, broken Futura, fuz and wing. Fuz is not too bad and could easily be repaired, the wing is beyond my skill/patients level for repair. I am ordering a new fuz and wing, fingers crossed it comes soon.

Not done a full autopsy on the engine as yet, needless to say it will need to go back again and hopefully will be fixed properly this time. Not sure I want to risk any further models to this engine, I have a King Tech 210 for another project so will be using that and if all is well with the 210 I will be adding a second to my arsenal. It worked very well in potters Futura.

Lesson to learn? Hindsight! need to have more of this for future flights. LOL. No really, always test full throttle on the ground before every flight something, I rarely do but will ALWAYS from now on.

With all that behind me I must say apart from the obvious it was a great day at a great venue, lots of great models and top guys. I will defiantly add more CJ dates to my diary, looking forward to great 2015.

Paul