Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 18/01/2015 20:27:52:

throttle spring is irrelvent. if servo breaks tx can cut engine , if signal is lost ign is killed .if power is lost ign is killed . the dive is a signal related problem, and as my failsafe was correctly set the dive is unacounted for . but as in so many of the other cases this was also the case ive heard of turbines , aerobatic , edfs .sport models .in the first 2 pages of this thread there are 5 examples of this..

I've just trawled through the first few pages....

Yeo 5 Examples; 3 Spektrum, 1 Planet, I Hitek so it would not appear to be something specific to Spektrum would it?

Advert

Well Ben this experience has benefited me if not you! As I said above I have no issue with Spektrum and, after a too short evaluation, had sort of ruled out the Taranis. However, because I became a bit "ruffled" by the potential issues here I dug out the Taranis for a second look.

After a few days of watching the videos of Taranis and properly playing with it, I'm now converted! It just takes a bit more effort than I originally gave it.

So thanks for making me re-think!

This may be a poll but relevant here - can anyone on this forum, who has been r/c flying regularly for a minimum of say 10 years, irrespective of the radio brand, HONESTLY state that they have never ever experienced an apparant loss of control or unexplained radio glitch.
I cant. I have over some 30+ years of flying owned and used every major brand of radio and have experienced glitches and odd behaviour sometimes resulting in loss of models - and can truly account for just two of those incidents ( both builder / operator errors ) the others I just grin and bear it as a sad fact of the hobby. We operate very complex equipment in less than ideal conditions and must accept that occasionally things can fail whatever brand it is. End of.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 19/01/2015 11:51:25

Plenty of unexplained glitches but I am certain that I have never lost a model due to Interference, loss of signal or TX or RX fault. Few due to servo or switch harness failure though.

I damaged a brand LMC Tucano due to a brand new Sanwa servo developing an intermittent fault . I Then damaged a Gangster 52 using the same model of servo with the same fault a few weeks later. Sods law dictated that they both had to be on aileron. Oh and Skyleader servos were fun too!

As you say Tim that is the nature of beast and I totally agree that you have hit the nail on the head in the last sentence

I also believe that whatever change of technology we have will not help and sometimes introduce its own issues think of your telly ( before they wound up the TX power) or digital radio a loss of signal or good burst of interference totally kills everything and it can be seconds before it restores. With the old analogue a poor signal resulted in poor reception with digital its all or nothing.

On an earlier post I quoted a rx fault I had that manifested itself in glitches but I am certain that would have wiped the link out totally with 2.4 kit and the failsafe would have been no help here.

Isnt it great to be free of the peg board or wainting for ever for the peg whilst someone fiddles with an errant engine or we wait for someone with a glider that can stay aloft for a fortnight

Posted by kc on 19/01/2015 13:07:40:

Why can't we have 35Mhz systems that cannot interfere with each other i.e. a unique code so that they cannot 'shoot down' another model?

Wouldn't that be better than sharing 2.4 Ghz with all sorts of other equipment?

But the issues are not related to 2.4Ghz sharing with other equipment. People think that 35mhz was better as it was dedicated, believing that 2.4 is inferior due to the sharing issue but the reality is that the old frequency was far less reliable.

The belief that we "share" so is therefore bad is also misguiding the user, whilst the band is shared it's like not liking FM radio as it shares with other radio stations.

It's quite easy to generate electrical noise at 35 meg but far less easy at 2.4 gig. We had to avoid flying near a chain link fence when I first started flying as the area would guarantee loss of control! Now on 2.4 gig I can see from the blogs that it's perfectly fine with the same fence some 15 years later on.

2.4Ghz is also much more secure; DSM2 switches between two randomly selected different frequencies in the 2.4GHz band, whereas DSMX constantly hops between multiple different frequencies, meaning that it is much less prone to interference compared to 35meg which has the one frequency only on your crystal.  If someone else has that frequency of crystal you're almost guaranteed to lose the aircraft.

Edited By John F on 19/01/2015 14:00:43

35MHz is too low a frequency to carry all the information needed for a digital link with guid, telemetry etc. KC. You need to be up in GHz territory for that sort of thing. Fitting 35MHz transmitters with scanners so they wouldn't transmit on a channel that's in use wouldn't be hard though. Unfortunately never going to happen unless we are kicked off 2.4 as that's where all the R&D and handy off the shelf components are these days.

BTW I've never had an unexplained glitch in my 35 years of modelling. I used to have a brushed electric glider on 35MHz which would glitch if I pointed the aerial straight at it. I had a trainer that had range issues when the receiver aerial got damaged. And I had weird problems with a Spektrum DX5e where my models (mainly little bind 'n fly things) would go to full throttle unexpectedly, but that turned out to be down to poor quality control and a dodgy throttle pot which eventually failed altogether. All of my crashes have been down to structural, mechanical or mental deficiencies.

Edited By John Muir on 19/01/2015 13:41:20

Posted by John Muir on 19/01/2015 13:39:50:

...... Fitting 35MHz transmitters with scanners so they wouldn't transmit on a channel that's in use wouldn't be hard though. Unfortunately never going to happen unless we are kicked off 2.4 ............

Edited By John Muir on 19/01/2015 13:41:20

Multiplex had this on some of their transmitters many years ago (still got one), but since no other manufacturers took up the idea it wasn't actually much use. Obviously no one wanted it on 35MHz back then and it is too late now.

I also have never had an "unexplained glitch" in 30 years of RC. I have always managed to find the cause (touch wood!).

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I actually bigged up Horizon the other day as in the past they have been excellent. However, last week I experienced the same as Ben, not responding to emails and couldn't leave a message as telephone system was full, even trying every department. Not great.

Edited By extra slim on 03/02/2015 21:12:52

I get the feeling that even if they drove a Tx around to your house this evening and persnally delivered it you would still not give them any credit, Ben.

Whenever I have dealt with HHl, whoich I hvae done both by phone and by email, they have been perfectly capable and eager to help.

Maybe, just maybe, they really do have phone issues and giving them some benefit of the doubt they may really do have to wait till orders get in.

Not sure about them leaving the office to eat though; that's just weird.

ive heard loads of horizon is great. well i can tell you i couldnt dissagree more .they dont reply to emails you cant leave a message on there phones cos there full so if they dont answer your on to nowt ... over a month without a tx . is that acceptable in your eyes ..........ive missed numerous flying sessions . and to be honest learned of as much negative as positive aout them ,maybe people only want to hear of postive and dismiss the negative like some have tried on this very thread . im not happy at all i think its a disgrace...

I tell you what John. Send me your tranny, I'll hang onto it for a month, not answer your emails or calls and see how you cope. If I was Ben, I'd be mightily annoyed. These things happen, but it's how you handle it that is important. I'm sure if they provided honest weekly updates it would at least ease some frustration and provide a degree of reassurance. In this case no news is far from good news. I'd be driving down there at their expense until they give me some answers. It is their new flagship top end radio, not a DX4!!!..

Edited By extra slim on 05/02/2015 20:58:50

I've never been a HH customer so from the outside it all looks very strange. I can't understand why they would offer you a brand new set after saying their is nothing wrong with the original one but I guess this is only a good thing. And then to not tell you the new one isn't in stock and will be a few weeks before it is no Not to mention all the hassles you've been having with trying to contact them. All together very strange. Hopefully it all gets sorted soon and you'll have your nice shiney new tx to set up.

Baz