BMFA classified has been hacked

MikeS

Hmm, maybe too late then as I've been on the site multiple times, although I have used an iPad so maybe it won't affect the iOS system. I've heard that hackers don't usually bother with Apple software as its too labour intensive for them. I suppose there's always the exception though......

They could also have left spyware on the servers used by BMFA to harvest personal data and there is a piece of malware specifically for Apple called "Wirelurker" that downloads onto iPhones, Ipads and Mac devices and harvests personal data (like bank account data etc), currently its only been spotted in China but it could turn up anyware

Posted by cymaz on 11/01/2015 22:53:53:

The site seems to have gone for now...

The hosting company will have quarantined the servers and cleaning the discs prior to a full restore from the last archive, if they have decent archival procedures they should be able to restore it to the point immediately before the attack,, but first they have to determine if anything else was attacked or corrupted

Best thing for all users of the BMFA Classifieds is to not use your original username and passwords and create new ones, also new email addresses, as they would now be in the hands of spammers and be a target for other ventures.

Also, delete your cookies folder,passwords, etc on your internet browser. Make sure any trace is eliminated before doing anything else. A good idea as well, run Spybot, Adware and your anti virus software and do a full scan if you've been on the BMFA website after the attack.

Posted by pilot-M on 14/01/2015 22:33:11:

BMFA are taking a long time sorting the site out. Should not take this long.

It will be the web hosting company doing the restore, patch and recovery, not the BMFa and they will be doing that in a priority order determined by the SLA's that go with the contract as there will almost certainly be multiple web sites on the same server cluster

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 14/01/2015 22:58:03:

It depends on what the vulnerability was that allowed the attackers in, they have to patch that before making the site live again or it will be hacked the same way.

...theres a strange echo in here............. here................................... here... laugh