Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

Can I just endorse Richard's comments. I too wanted the full chips and rice experience, but Richard advised a simpler approach in order that my first warbird experience was a successful one. Hence my Tempest has fixed undercarriage and no flaps. It weighs a little over 5lbs and flies really well.

My strip also has a pronounced gradient, and stopping my 6lb+ acrowot causes the same issue you have. My Tempest kisses the ground like a tender lover!

Go simple, go light, and you'll be right...

41 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

My Tempest kisses the ground like a tender lover!

Go simple, go light, and you'll be right...

Winner of quote of the week right there!!

Thank you gentlemen. I'll ditch the flaps and dither no more. This being my first scale model n all... 

I can make progress again now!!

No flaps on mine and it fly's great, mind you the wind where I fly is the flaps, it is high up and very rarely calm. chasing scale perfection in a sport scale aeroplane will drive you mad because it can't be achieved. The inner flaps are angled up to the centre on the real thing as there is a slight gull wing on the full size and the dihedral starts away from the centre but it is not apparent on the Warbirds model. Best thing is to build it as designed and follow Richards and Pauls advice on finishing and you will have a good flying replica of a Spitfire. 

I thought I had sorted out the wing wiring in a really neat way using a Multiplex connector - see attached picture.

That plug and socket runs 2 individual aileron channels, flap, and U/C.

Maybe not so clever I now realise, my receivers are sbus compatible so all I need is a sbus decoder and I can connect the wing with a single servo wire!

Decoder now ordered.

Paints have now turned up too.

PICT0217sm.jpg

Are you using Frsky receivers and Sbus decoder Andy? If so, are you aware that the servo signal output on Sbus from the Receiver is 9ms rather than the 20ms on the standard output pins, and the decoder doesn't alter this. You must use digital servos at that signal frequency, it will fry analogue ones. I've no idea if the electric retracts will handle it either.

Hi David,

Yes / maybe to the Frsky receivers, I have a Jumper one to play with too.

Decoder coming is a Frsky one with 4 channel output.

I had read about the timing differences, but again there are conflicting reports on the internet of the issues this causes.

I have just double checked and the decoder I have coming matches the timing to whatever the receiver outputs which is controlled by the receiver firmware. Depending on which receiver is in use, this can be 21-27ms according to the instructions.

I have some old analogue servos to try it on and a digital one, and the same for electric retracts and ESC's.

Much testing to do, which means it may not end up on the Spitfire if the results are inconclusive.

My next project is probably another scratch built lightweight Lancaster, so these test may result in the use of decoders and digital servos in that to help reduce interferance and wire volume.

Edited by Andy Gates
Double checked the decoder instructions

Ah the school bus. Ours had a hole in the floor so when it went through a puddle a fountain of water shot up through it, great fun to put the new first formers sitting in the seats next to it. 

IIRC YMMV could be your memory may vary, BIMBW.

I must have been lucky with my FrSky SBus decoders as I’ve not fried a servo (yet).

The FrSky 4 channel S.Bus decoder follows the frame rate of the S.Bus signal and we have no control over that at all. It's always 9mS I think. I have had an analog servo burn out in flight when using one. As luck would have it, it was an aileron and it stuck near neutral. Servo was way too hot to touch after landing.   That was after a good number of flights where I'd obviously thought everything was OK.

There's a good discussion about different decoders and frame rates here (and earlier pages in that thread). There are a good few different ones that will drive analog servos safely. 

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Ah the school bus. Ours had a hole in the floor so when it went through a puddle a fountain of water shot up through it, great fun to put the new first formers sitting in the seats next to it. 

IIRC YMMV could be your memory may vary, BIMBW.

I must have been lucky with my FrSky SBus decoders as I’ve not fried a servo (yet).

Were the First Formers Laser Cut Ron ? 

F. U. N. E. X ?         (Its just that ive got some bacon under the grill).

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Were the First Formers Laser Cut Ron ? 

F. U. N. E. X ?         (Its just that ive got some bacon under the grill).

No Richard, they were Di crushed, well Di was a fifth former and he liked bashing them. DBFF we used to call them.

• Haha 1

David,

All opinions are welcome as we all learn from each other. Sorry if I seemed dismissive, that was not my intention.

I was going by information from the current manual for the decoder as supplied by the manufacturer, which of course could be wrong in itself - hence the much testing to follow comment.

Extract from the manual

"The decoder’s output PWM frequency is automatically match with the input CPPM/SBUS
signal frequency, make sure the proper servo is connected. Do NOT use conventional servo
with SBUS High Speed mode and/or CPPM mode when frame length is shorter than
14ms.There is the danger of erroneous operation or damage."

Thanks for the link Chris, yet more reading to do now and possible more confusion!

But enough of this technical stuff, more of the Spitfires please folks!

Yes , hang around David . Its much more fun when people chip in . If I ever sound like a clever Dicky , believe me , I trip over the mat (metaphorically ) more than anyone . Thats the best way to find out stuff . 

Nobody takes this stuff seriously , especially me . But we do have a passion which is contagious.

I flew with Andy for quite a few years and he and his lad Robert are the kindest people you could meet .