Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

12 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

If it starts going left , abort .

I think that's the most crucial bit of advice of all to anybody test flying a warbird (or most other powered models, for that matter). It is often said that the secret to a good landing is in the approach - the same is true of take-off, so give yourself a good talking to before you start, to ensure you aren't tempted to persist with a squirrelly take-or run.

Apologies if all this brings to mind is grandma's sucking eggs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Trevor said:

I think that's the most crucial bit of advice of all to anybody test flying a warbird (or most other powered models, for that matter). It is often said that the secret to a good landing is in the approach - the same is true of take-off, so give yourself a good talking to before you start, to ensure you aren't tempted to persist with a squirrelly take-or run.

Apologies if all this brings to mind is grandma's sucking eggs.

All good advice. Have a specific plan and an abort decision ready. Dont ad lib with a warbird maiden. At above normal weight, the bird is going to take longer to get off and will fly faster.

In the air just keep moving to gain confidence, and at no time slow to a wallow especially trying to glide back in. For the maiden, keep it moving and fly to the ground until the wheels touch down, just until you get long enough to get to know the model.

• Like 1

Thank you Sir Richard! And thank you to Denis and Trevor too.

I'm going to buy a couple more 3300mah 4S batteries, which saves 100+ g straight away. I'll make sure I can vary the CofG by moving sound system around/having battery slide a bit etc. I _will_ get it painted to a finished but not weathered state. I _won't_ add any cockpit detail for the time being.

I will make sure I get test flying done without sounds. I really want the sounds though as I've rigged up the cannons to have bright flashing LED's and I want to strafe the runway at some point!!!

Edited by David Hazell 1

Nice thought there David but don't strafe the runway with the model.

Only other thing I would say regarding the maiden of a warbird, be progressive with the throttle - don't just slam it open as you will be fighting it from word go which will also increase your heart rate and the adrenaline boost.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

hmm.. 

Something not right as you say David . Is it the three inch or 3.25"  ? I can send you another shell or perhaps the heavy duty Dubro plastic version which always run true . 

Richard 

Those heavy duty Dubro plastic spinners are lovely and pretty good for shape on a Spitfire, but I had to abandon the one on my Kyosho Spitfire refurb, I just couldn't get it to seat correctly and run true, however much I tried. Had to replace it with an Irvine spinner with the ally backplate, even though the shape wasn't as nice.

30 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

Next dumb question, is the bolt bent?

Try running the motor with the bolt fitted but not the shell. Is it the same?

So I've checked with the extension bolt and back plate and there's a small wobble there on that. Visible though. I wasn't going to use the extender with my setup as with the PropDrive 4248 v2, the prop shaft is so short I can't get the extender on there.  But the pitifully short prop shaft _does_ have an M3 female hole through the centre so I can use a long M3 bolt eventually to secure the spinner casing. That all being said, the back plate is causing quite a bit of vibration so will need some balancing to be done to it, and then another balance to be done on the spinner casing. I will balance the back plate by drilling some holes at the heavy points and see where we're at after that - it might be that the bulk of the vibration is being caused by the off balance back plate.

3 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

David ,If you prefer , you could send it to me and I can put it in a lathe and see whats going on . 

Or , if you identify the size of shell , I can send another .

I might take you up on that actually Richard, and I noticed that the one you supplied for the P51 hasn't had a hole drilled in the cone, which I guess was an oversight - so could I send you that one too?

This is the back plate stuck on a prop balancer - something seems off there:

2 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

One other thought on the back plate David . The prop drivers have a gentle radius between the shaft and the flat driving face . Might be worth a light countersink of the back plate hole , so that it sits comfortably against the driver . 

The back of the prop driver is dead flat actually: 

IMG_20220315_215014.thumb.jpg.91338192f9ebef8c7b4ce7bba9ea71c9.jpg

The backplate will definitely need some balancing, which I would probably do by drilling a small hole at the heavy point (is that the correct approach with an alu spinner backplate?  But if it's out of true like it seems to be, that might be a bit futile.

Anyway, thank you for all the prompt attention, no doubt we can get something sorted. ?

Edited by David Hazell 1
more info

Can I just add here, I don't mean any of this to come across as me bashing the product, I was a bit abrupt in the first post about the spinner and I just want to reassure that Richard is the bees knees and providing a custom bespoke spinner like the ones he has for Spit and P51 really is above and beyond. 

PS The spinner diameter backplate is measuring exactly 3.175 inches or 80.64mm. the cone measures 3.062 inches or 77.77mm

I also have the P51 one which is a bit bigger.

Had a lovely chat to Richard. I think his ear must be aching after so much chat, but I do love a chinwag!! So things are going to be sorted and I will post updates on here a bit more too. I reckon I will have a model ready to fly if I put about another 10 hours of tinkering in, so not far off at all. I aim to have the model roughly painted but not panelled/weathered for my maiden and I will indeed get one of the more experienced pilots at my club to give her her maiden. I've been keeping a build log of pics which shows how I'm getting along and I'll link to it here if anyone wants to have a look through:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ShLRzp7XHEDxGUHS6

Hopefully videos of a maiden will be added in the not too distant future!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Small batch of Spitfires are now in stock . With the problems of getting wood of the right quality from now on , this might be the last ones I do . The wood supply situation and the availability of other items like retracts and spinners is making it an unrewarding task . 

Like Eric and Graham , Ive been making some foam board prototypes , but I can understand that they are not going to be everyone's cup of tea. 

3 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Small batch of Spitfires are now in stock . With the problems of getting wood of the right quality from now on , this might be the last ones I do . The wood supply situation and the availability of other items like retracts and spinners is making it an unrewarding task . 

Like Eric and Graham , Ive been making some foam board prototypes , but I can understand that they are not going to be everyone's cup of tea. 

How best to order the spit. 

Mine is nearly ready! Painted but not weathered, or bestowed with panel lines. Pilot installed. RC being hooked up, sound system being set up as removable. No clue exactly how heavy she will be but she will be a bit tubby. Photo's to come and definitely a vid of the maiden (which I will not be attempting!)

I think we all know this situation has been on the cards for a while . Our modelling and innovation can continue , but for me , it has reached a tipping point that is simply not worth facing all of the challenges . I will show some of the foam board models on the appropriate threads started here on the forum . Having said that , I dont have the stomach for re inventing the wheel and converting my designs to yet another format . There will naturally be a reluctance for modellers to adapt and many will continue to simply carry on while they have wood stock . In the world of miniature warbirds ,we can see the difficulties across the board . Try buying an FMS or Dynam foamie . Or any spares for them . As WW2 fans , we all have our favourites , but it is starting to look like we will have very little choice in the near future . 

• Sad 6