No wonder model shops are closing down.

Paul Marsh

Advert

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 21/02/2015 15:37:12:

- so perhaps the old adage about Northerners being more friendly holds some truth...

Not in my experience. I went to buy an expensive kit from a model shop in a North Yorkshire town that shall remain nameless, and the proprietor managed to complete the whole transaction without saying a single word. It made a visit to B&Q seem like model customer service. He seemed more concerned that every one who entered was a potential shoplifter and followed them around like a... well, Yorkshire terrier. But, like a mug, having driven 80 miles there, I still bought the kit and handed over my hard-earned, albeit reluctantly.

It seems you all need to beat a path to Webbies, that is in Frodsham for non locals. Go upstairs, ogle the built models and talk to their builder, then continue to ogle all the kits on the shelves. If you need some advice well, there is the counter downstairs, where the young uns, will endeavour to help. In fact where ever you go in the shop, there is a friendly word. Such a pity they are not so local to me.

Then again you could go to "The Hobby and Model Centre" Bolton or maybe Little Hulton. Never gets a mention anywhere. Incredible stock of kits (all upstairs), gives a club discount, and the staff are actually very friendly, although initially reserved. Worth a visit. again not that local.

What makes these model shops stand out, is that they are not just a business, the staff have an interest, or should that be a passion in and for all models. Perhaps it should be mentioned that both businesses have woman working in them, who know more about the hobby than many of us.

Edited By Erfolg on 21/02/2015 21:07:09

Oddly I've used Cheshire Models in Macclesfield for years for RC car parts and plastic kits but never flying stuff until recently having noticed loads of Delux materials bottles behind the counter and a rotating carousel with clevises & horns on!

Whenever I go in though I find myself talking to Iris the owner for ages although mostly about the rc cars or club talk.

Maybe it's just a plane related problem? She has however got a tidy stock of balsa which looks nice & straight & not covered in dust, which is a good sign!

Webbies (my LHS before I moved house to Scotland and my spiritual model shop home) is a proper model shop -the little shop with the big stock. It's both traditional and highly innovative and I miss it.

All of the staff are RC modellers, will always go the extra mile and the on-site driving force Anne-Louise is one of the hardest working, most dedicated people it has ever been my pleasure to know.The whole Webb family -Steve, AL, Fred and Marie have dedicated more than a quarter century to building the best model shop possible and the staff have been a tremendous part of that in a real family business. I admit though, I'm maybe a bit biased.

Behind that little shop with the big stock is a thriving mail order business that takes a huge amount of work to make it run smoothly - it's a vital part of the overall package IMO, especially in these days of internet sales. I guess that most of the successful, enduring model shops have a mail order and/or internet presence and a shop that doesn't would find it hard to survive. That, plus enhanced customer service would seem to be a requirement to succeed and even survive these days.

The days of the shop owner sitting behind the counter and barely raising his head when a punter comes into the shop are long gone - people's expectations are higher than that now and grumpy shop staff (as mentioned in some posts in this thread) are an endangered species,