Sub C cells for RX

Hi there, just wanted to ask if any / many are using sub c cells for RX power supply?. I havent got any but I am thinking of switching from my Nimh AA packs; mainly to take advantage of greater capacity..

I do not fly aircraft with massive Rx battery power drain, just want a bit more security and longevity at the field.. I like to stay airborne for upto 20mins a trip where possible; looking at 3300mah etc

Any experience, recommedations or guidance on choices greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance yes

Advert

I have a 3800 mah sub c in a glider simply for the extra nose weight.

Other than that I find 2000-2500mah 6v AA packs are fine. Over Easter I flew my Acrowot on a 2500mah 6v AA for 3 days totaling 12-13 flights, each one around 14 minutes and it's still on the top green light on the on-board battery checker.

I think if you're looking for 20 mins per flight then Sub C's are simply not needed. My longest flight was just over 5 hours on a slope soarer on a 4 cell, 700mah, AA pack. It should also be noted that AA packs are up to around 2600mah+, you could fly all day on that.

I use a 5 cell sub c pack in my Seagull Sea Fury, that has 8 servos and electric retracts. I use two HD switches in parallel, connected via the deans plug charge lead. I have this setup as it needed some weight up front, and with the possibility of a high load the sub c pack can handle it better than an AA pack, in my opinion!

Posted by Chris Barlow on 08/04/2015 23:06:04:

I have a 3800 mah sub c in a glider simply for the extra nose weight.

Other than that I find 2000-2500mah 6v AA packs are fine. Over Easter I flew my Acrowot on a 2500mah 6v AA for 3 days totaling 12-13 flights, each one around 14 minutes and it's still on the top green light on the on-board battery checker.

Hi there, thanks all for the comments here..

Chris, this pretty much covers my expectations and needs for flying so thanks again for the input; Acrowot 12-13 flights.. Ideal. yes

Reading all comments, I think I can stick with AA packs for now unless I need the weight and then I will go Sub C to achieve this; also extra services of retracts/flaps etc.

John, may I ask where the LiFe batteries are coming from? Just out of interest/to compare.

Once again, thanks all for taking the time to respond with your thoughts and expereince. wink

Edited By Area 51 on 09/04/2015 09:57:43

Posted by Matt Jones on 09/04/2015 08:39:15:

It should also be noted that AA packs are up to around 2600mah+

The higher capacity AA cells have a higher ESR and will sag under a heavy load. Sub-C cells of the same capacity will have a lower ESR and consequently a lower drop under load. Lifepo4 cells have a very low ESR, for example the original A123 M1 cell will happily give a continuous 70 amps.

The disadvantage of Lifepo4 is the sudden drop-off as they approach full discharge - difficult to predict without measuring actual mAh taken.

Cheers
Phil

Using twin sub C, 5 cell 3300 packs on my TF Giant P47, Flair Stearman, 1/4 Chippy, 1/3 DVII and DB SE5, once charged for the first time I usually charge for about 4 hours and load at 2 amps and they all give about 6.5v and remain strong even after 3 or 4 flights. Trick is to check and load them regularly, and having 2 is always useful, but like most batteries when they go, they go!

Thanks for the added input here, really grateful to all as its given me a few pointers and good reading as a result..

My charger can cope with LiFe Lilon etc.. but I think I will have a go a making some 3300mah Sub C (found an excellent you tube video) this I feel will provide more capacity than I am likely to need. Fast charge (at the field) is not an issue at this time as I am only after Rx packs, additionally I wont get anywhere near draining them..

Thanks all again for the variety of ideas and answers.. much appreciate. Cheersbeer

Unless you are using 4.8v servos you don't need a UBEC with a 2s Life battery as the fully charged volts are on par with a 5 cell Nimh battery.

Also you don't need 3300mah for 20 mins flight time, I use 3300 mah batteries in my large scale gliders for a full days aerotowing (plus I need the nose weight wink) and the fact that they can delivery a large current without a significant voltage drop.

Posted by Area 51 on 12/04/2015 23:10:53:

I am looking to order some A123 3.3v 3300mah and a ubec switch.

If they're 3300mAh they're unlikely to be genuine A123 systems cells as they dont make that size.
They have uprated the old M1B spec to 2.5Ah, the 18650s stay at 1100mAh and the newer 32113 is 4.4Ah.

Cheers
Phil