Engine for AcroWot XL

David P Williams

Well, I have an AcroWot Mk2 XL ARTF on order. It's 2m span, weight quoted as 5.9kg or 13 lb, and says it's been designed for 25-35cc petrol 2 strokes.

Not at all keen on the sound of 2 strokes, or the smell of petrol, so would prefer a 4 stroke glow. What would be the equivalent size? I have an unused Saito 180fs - would this suit, and what in the 25-35 petrol range would it be equivalent to?

Advert

Posted by Andy Green on 23/04/2015 15:25:08:

I fitted a Saito 180 to mine, lovely combination.

The Saito was converted to spark ignition to tame it a bit. Spark ignition not petrol, still ran on 5%

Andy

Have you flown one Andy? I didn't think anyone had god one yet, what's it like? I'm keen on one myself.

David , have you considered a petrol engine but using this as fuel? **LINK**

Thanks chaps, to be clear this is the new ARTF Acrowot XL that I have on pre-order - don't think they're actually available yet.

I don't want to follow the usual advice on here of 'fit the biggest engine you can and use the throttle', for example there are several Wot4 XL ARTFs in my club with engines ranging from 90fs to 120fs to DLE20, and the 90fs powered one flies very nicely in my style of flying, i.e. not hooligan stick banging. I have a standard Acrowot with an engine at the top of the recommended range which is fine, but a pain to land on a calm day asit will pretty much fly straight and level at idle.

I am happy to buy a new engine to suit this model, but as I have the Saito 180 available, I return to my original question of what size petrol 2 stroke is it equivalent to?

Justin - I have considered the Aspen fuel, and I'm sure I will use it in the future in a petrol 4 stroke.

I'm going to get one, as well as the Wot Wot.
In my 2 kit versions, one has a OS 120FS Mk1 pump and the other a OS 120AX.

Already have an engine waiting for it, as for the Wot. A Saito 182 Flat twin would be ideal. And I have one!!!

Edited By Paul Marsh on 23/04/2015 21:00:52

Posted by David P Williams on 25/04/2015 17:06:49:

Thanks Doc, but to re-iterate I'm talking about the new ARTF AcroWot XL that I have on pre-order. I don't have much control over the airframe weight!

Ah sorry missed that. Not had any experience of the ARTF Xtra Wot alyough I would check all the usual artf weak spots ie; U/C mounting and firewall fixing.

Good luck

E.D.

• 1 month later...
Posted by Andrew Ray on 18/06/2015 10:09:14:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 11/06/2015 21:32:32:

Looks like it's just come out. Has anyone got one yet...?

Hoping to pick one up at Weston tomorrow and I have a choice of a Roto 35Vi or Saito FG-30.

just one reason I'm not going to Weston Park, I know I wouldn't be able to say no

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...