BMFA National Flying Centre

Posted by john stones 1 on 22/05/2015 16:36:40:
Posted by iqon on 22/05/2015 16:27:30:

5 years growing crops - should not be in the equation

surprisewell that's a turnip for books

John

They are really starting to dangle the carrot with this proposal... Let's hope the green shoots of funding begin to sprout!

Ok ok, I'll get me coat...

Advert

I'm very happy to let the BMFA plough this furrow and tell us what they intend to do, I'm not going to speculate. They have a job to do, let them do it.

If we carry on as we are, even though we might be enjoying ourselves, the 35,000 is going to slowly wither away as we drop off the tree. Some new thinking is needed and it goes beyond just having a flying field, which has to be part of something bigger. Let's see what it might be. Nothing wrong with it being a planned programme which develops over a period of years, not for me anyway.

So am I totally selfish? My children are grown long ago and musicians but no interest in anything aero. My Grandchildren are either musical or theatrical. So the NFC would have been for my pleasure mainly (ok selfish) but I try my best to encourage the younger ones to get off the tablet/computer/phone and into the open air, fly anything, just 'do it'! 15 years, sorry I will be way past caring, the NFC has lost me, count me out!

I am not sure where they have got the cost of 6 million for a building from, that seems a heck of a lot. Until last year I worked at the University of Warwick and not that long ago they built a massive indoor tennis centre, it has 4 indoor courts (perfect size for indoor flying) a large office area, toilets and fancy reception plus specialit tennis floor surface etc and it was 'only' 2.5 million to build.

The BMFA should look at 'off the peg' type industrial buildings, they are actually quite reasonable to build rather than a fancy bespoke and expensive sbowcase facility.

Still probably looking at 4 million with land purchase so still a massive project to fund and make sustainable.

I've had a few gruellers at work this week and I get my frustrations out my system through it, so I've cheered up.

What's my take on this ? it was a done deal once I read the supposed Poll result for me, nothing I've read has changed that opinion.

Life's too short for us to be getting wound up on here about this so good luck with it, i'm gonna keep my eye on the Constitution though in case they try to up my liability to £2.

How will we increase membership ? When folk have a few quid to spend and fancy taking the hobby up, it'll be the likes of this forum, and the people at ground level that will provide the avenue into the hobby, is that not where they've always come from ?

Johnsmiley

Posted by Steve T on 22/05/2015 14:07:40:

15 years time I could quite possibly have a very different set of ephemeral wings !!

I confidently expect a "leave the BMFA a legacy in your will" piece in the next quarterly mag

Andy

I did anticipate that there would at some point be a request for a bequest. At one of our Christmas meetings, it was one of the ideas that I suggested to those present.

The response was pretty negative. Those who have children, however old were, as we recognise the older they become, the more expensive they are, most were not enamoured with the idea. One suggested that his wife would take the suggestion as a joke, if he were lucky, many noded in agreement.

There is another problem with the idea, from an income point of view. It will be sometime in the future, with a erratic pattern.

That is unless members can be induced to provide a donation now. In our household we give to charity, I cannot see my wife agreeing to provide a regular or one off donation.

You could try and sell shares to members in a company to build and run the NFC, although i would envisage even less interest in such an option.

Perhaps we should set up a charity to modelling with the aim of serving the young in our community. Then we could send out chuggers. A sick joke, I am not serious.

It will be interesting to be told of the fund raising plan.

I've just spent the weekend visiting family and friends and staying in the village I used to live in, which is 4-5 miles from Laws Lawn Farm, so I just had to go and have a look. Didn't have much time, so only looked over the hedge from the road and therefore couldn't see too much. I had intended to walk along the bridleway and take a few pics, but SWMBO had other plans.......

Anyway, from what I saw it looks promising, although not all flat. Some of the land around is quite undulating. I'm also not sure that the planning people will be happy with the current entrance/exit for increased traffic, as it is about 50 yards from a blind brow of a hill, over which vehicles appear at 60mph (or more, if they are Audis or BMWs, of which there are many in that area)

Posted by Erfolg on 21/05/2015 14:58:39:

No attempt has been made to effectively communicate with the broad membership. The survey undertaken with respect to the NFC has a lot in common with the proposed Congestion Charging for Greater Manchester survey.Edited By Erfolg on 21/05/2015 14:59:48

Keeping stating that they did not communicate does not make it true, your club was the one who let you down. The BMFA did communicate. They communicated very well. It was also on this forum within a day of the news being released! They didn't personally bang on your door, I feel that is what you wanted to happen, but there was lots of info and lots of time to get your views in.

On the same note please understand that they could have bought the site, built the NFC and opened it up without telling you a single jot!! They do not have to tell you anything. But they did.

As for funding - again, they do not have to reveal any aspect of the financial deals. Honestly, not one single scrap needed to be released as it could have been classified as "Commercially Sensitive" and therefore kept secret but, yet again, the BMFA were being quite open and honest telling everyone how they intended to fund the first portion then look at the other options later on.

Many fear the increase in membership fees but such ventures normally involves partnerships with buisnesses rather than any kind of funding from users of the services. You won't be badgered for money on a regular basis as that is not how such ventures are costed and run.

John

Just repeating the mantra that the BMFA has communicated effectively does not make it true.

As an example how many know of the 12 points, let alone what they are, that are apparently attached with the decision to proceed. Possibly one day we will here something officially. Not now though, as with so much else.

There is more secrecy in the BMFA than with many defence projects. So much is classed as confidential, under the flag of presumably commercial sensitivity.

I am also appalled, if you are telling me that I am lucky to be told anything, why should I want to support the BMFA or be a member?

Edited By Erfolg on 26/05/2015 15:19:30

I'm from the one-party state up north so it's probably none of my business but a national model flying site immune from government/MOD vagaries seems like an excellent idea. Do you think it would be possible to run a Joe Nall type week there?

Wingman

What aeromodeller would not want the opportunity to attend such an event?

Looking at the video, it does seem that there are many more younger modellers at the event than is seen today in the UK. There will be many reasons for this, probably many of them cannot be translated to the UK.

Could such an event be run at the NFC if it comes into being. Not at present, a pity. Many things that are seen in the USA would not be allowed here. There is not the appetite for many of the things done in the USA in the UK.

Am I envious, I sure am, although not of the mosquitos, snakes, alligators found in South Carolina. I had a holiday on Jekyl Island and Savannaha, which was plagued with scorching heat, thunderstorms and being bitten.

The nearest I have seen in the UK was Woodvale. Not one dedicated competition has ever come close to the atmosphere of fun type events.

Posted by Erfolg on 26/05/2015 17:02:03:

Am I envious, I sure am, although not of the mosquitos, snakes, alligators found in South Carolina. I had a holiday on Jekyl Island and Savannaha, which was plagued with scorching heat, thunderstorms and being bitten.

The nearest I have seen in the UK was Woodvale.

I didn't realise Woodvale had so many dangerous animals and extreme weather, but then I'm a Southerner...wink

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/05/2015 17:59:26

Posted by David P Williams on 26/05/2015 12:09:56:

I've just spent the weekend visiting family and friends and staying in the village I used to live in, which is 4-5 miles from Laws Lawn Farm, so I just had to go and have a look. Didn't have much time, so only looked over the hedge from the road and therefore couldn't see too much. I had intended to walk along the bridleway and take a few pics, but SWMBO had other plans.......

Anyway, from what I saw it looks promising, although not all flat. Some of the land around is quite undulating. I'm also not sure that the planning people will be happy with the current entrance/exit for increased traffic, as it is about 50 yards from a blind brow of a hill, over which vehicles appear at 60mph (or more, if they are Audis or BMWs, of which there are many in that area)

I doubt it's that big a deal to move an entrance Dave and the highways dept can alter speed limits and put warning signs up I would think.

John

Totally agree John, moving an entrance to a position that improves safety, has to be a no brainer. No one in their right mind would object.

The change of use of the site may be more of an issue, as potentially changing the nature of the building from residential to business.

Changing the position of the buildings could also be more of an issue.

Probably the biggest issue is the situation with respect to the MATZ. Most other aspects could turn out to be trivia, if the farm is within a 5 mile radius of RAF Wittering, which appears to be about 2 to 3 miles away.

I am awaiting the next official communication from the BMFA, will it be a dialogue with the members or a brief statement?